• Show
Clear All
  • dvan
    Forum Newbie
    • Jul 2010
    • West Central Indiana
    • BT3000

16 foot canoe project (wip)

I started this back in 2009 trying to get-er-done this year. If you are building a boat of any kind post some pics, I like to see them and hear from other boat builders. I have a little more details about the build in a photo album on my members page. Enjoy!
    Attached Files
  • leehljp
    Just me
    • Dec 2002
    • Tunica, MS
    • BT3000/3100

That looks NICE! I have wanted to build one since I was 7 or 8. I made a 24 inch model with strips and worked and worked on that. And I have dreamed ever since of attempting a large canoe.

When I moved back to the States, I had a new neighbor, (youngest son of a high school friend) who makes them as a hobby. We have talked about the building process several times. Probably the closest I will get to making one myself.

Keep us updated with picts.
    Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• dbhost
      Slow and steady
      • Apr 2008
      • League City, Texas
      • Ryobi BT3100

That's a really nice size canoe. It's hard to tell at this stage, but it looks like it has very little rocker to it. Make sure you have a nice keel strip on it and that thing should track really nice on the lake...

I've wanted to build 2 of these since I was a kid... A short one, 10 to 11 feet with a LOT of rocker for quick manuvering / whitewater type stuff, and a longer model 16 to 17 feet, with a mild rocker and keep strip for tandem touring.... I might actually loan my plastic / ash boat out if I had that done..

The weather is getting really nice, I am thinking some paddling in the bayou out back is in order soon...
      Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• dvan
        Forum Newbie
        • Jul 2010
        • West Central Indiana
        • BT3000

Thanks Hank, I hope to get a lot done this year. When i started this monster I never thought it would take up so much time but I have loved every second of it. It like many hobbies sucks you in.

Comment

• chopnhack
          Veteran Member
          • Oct 2006
          • Florida
          • Ryobi BT3100

It looks great already! I love how to wood contours to the shape of the frame so well. Good job :-)
          I think in straight lines, but dream in curves

Comment

• jeepman71
            Established Member
            • Nov 2008

That's pretty sweet dvan. My three year old grandson would love a project like that. He loves working in the shop with grandpa and has a severe fetish for boats..

Jim

Comment

• mastazero
              Handtools only
              • Mar 2012

greetings

greetings from Switzerland )

Comment

• capncarl
                Veteran Member
                • Jan 2007
                • Leesburg Georgia USA
                • SawStop CTS

I have completed a number of boat projects, one being 40 ft, and have always admired the strip boats. My current boat project is installing a small (Kawasaki 550 cc) jet ski motor midship in a 16 ft Genoe. No photos yet, still gathering parts and ideas, and fussing about the genoe taking up space in the middle of my shop.
                My biggest problem with projects like these boats is the time. It seems to take forever to get finished with it an out the door. I have built cars that have taken less time than a boat. Even the largest woodworking projects seem to be completed in a fraction of the time it takes to do a boat project.
                capncarl

Comment

• atgcpaul
                  Veteran Member
                  • Aug 2003
                  • Maryland
                  • Grizzly 1023SLX

That's looking good. Even the building form looks nice. It would be a shame not to reuse it at some point.

Comment

Working...