Hogging out the heartwood from a camphor limb.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dbhost
    Slow and steady
    • Apr 2008
    • League City, Texas
    • Ryobi BT3100

Hogging out the heartwood from a camphor limb.

I am making a limb slice band saw box for a Christmas present for my mom. The slice of limb I have to work with is 6" in diameter at the narrows, and from my best research, including what my nose tells me, it is Camphor. I have bored a hole 4" deep in the 6" slice with my largest forstner bit (2-1/8"). I have been chiseling out the remainder, but this stuff is HARD, and I am ending up getting a LOT of practice honing my chisels. Not to mention I am not liking the results...

Once I get the chiseling done, and am close, I was thinking about using a drum sander insert in my DP to to sand the sides... But that leaves me with the big question... How do I sand / smooth the bottom of the hole?

FWIW, I saw a similar project done with I believe it was Olive on a smaller scale on another forum a while ago, but for that persons project, the forstner bit was all they needed. It is a simple swiveling lid, that is using a 3/8" oak dowel as a pivot point. And the entire thing will get shot with simple spray lacquer. I am planning on leaving the exterior of it as natural as possible...
    Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.
  • Stytooner
    Roll Tide RIP Lee
    • Dec 2002
    • Robertsdale, AL, USA.
    • BT3100

It will be tough to get a smooth bottom.
    Have you considered putting cork or felt or something in the bottom to cover up the center point.
    Lee

Comment

• dbhost
      Slow and steady
      • Apr 2008
      • League City, Texas
      • Ryobi BT3100

I was going to fill it, get it as smooth as possible, and then use that spray flocking inside. Sorry, I failed to mention that...
      Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• pelligrini
        Veteran Member
        • Apr 2007
        • Fort Worth, TX
        • Craftsman 21829

That a pretty deep depth and small area. You could probably get deeper with an extension for a forstner. You might consider putting in a false bottom out of something thin. Even 1/8" hardboard would work since you are going to flock it.
        Erik

Comment

• capncarl
          Veteran Member
          • Jan 2007
          • Leesburg Georgia USA
          • SawStop CTS

Saw the bottom of the box off, finish the inside bottom surface and glue it back on, then complete the outsides?

Capncarl

Comment

• dbhost
            Slow and steady
            • Apr 2008
            • League City, Texas
            • Ryobi BT3100

I am wishing I had done that prior to starting the first hole...

Comment

Working...