• Show
Clear All
  • dbhost
    Slow and steady
    • Apr 2008
    • League City, Texas
    • Ryobi BT3100

Flip top tool cart question...

Recent flare ups of old back injuries have got me thinking, a LOT about alternatives to my tool stacking system for my benchtop tools, and I have been giving the flip top stand that I see so many using some serious thought. However I have a problem...

My 2 most difficult to pick up and move tools are the lunchbox planer, which I frequently see on those flip top stands, and the bench top jointer, which I have never seen on one of those stands...

So minimize my impact on floor space, while maximizing the benefit of not having to lift a tool into place, I am considering 2 of these stands. One fitted with my Ryobi planer, and Sunhill jointer. The second will house my Ridgid sander, and SCMS. (HF 12" cheapie).

Does anyone here have a similar setup, particularly, does anyone have a bench top jointer mounted up on one of these things? If so, what were the gotchas you had to pay attention to? I am concerned that the beds will hit when rotating, but I am not sure...
    Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.
  • LarryG
    The Full Monte
    • May 2004
    • Off The Back
    • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

No experience with what you propose, but don't put the jointer and the planer on the same flip-top stand. These two tools work as a team; when milling lumber four-square, you need to be able to go back and forth between them (and the table saw) without delay or hassle.
    Last edited by LarryG; 09-30-2010, 11:14 AM. Reason: spelling airs
    Larry

Comment

• dbhost
      Slow and steady
      • Apr 2008
      • League City, Texas
      • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by LarryG
      No experience with what you propose, but don't put the jointer and the planer on the same flip-top stand. These two tools work as a team; when milling lumber four-square, you need to be able to go back and forth between them (and the table saw) without delay or hassle.
      I hadn't thought of that.

Thanks for giving me yet another thing to ponder...

Thus far, I have the following bench top tools...

#1. Lunchbox planer. Ryobi AP1301.
      #2. Bench Top 6" jointer. Sunhill SM-150B.
      #3. SCMS. Chicago Electric #98194 12". (This replaced the B&D Firestorm non slider.)
      #4. Oscillating sander. Ridgid EB4424 edge belt / spindle sander.
      #5. Bench Grinder / sharpening station. Ryobi BGH-827 with Wolverine jig.

I am planning on adding a Central Machinery #35570 bench top mortiser later on as well.

I am not totally sold on a flip top bench, but it is a thought. I am simply trying to get as much function as I can out of a stand / cabinet. Honestly, If I thought it was worth the effort, I would put together one of those rotating tool stands like what Shop Notes has in "The Complete Small Shop" book... But I am concerned that would gobble up too much floor space...
      Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• BerniePA
        Established Member
        • Nov 2007
        • San Tan Valley, AZ
        • Grizzly 0575

I built one of the "flip top Stands" that looks like it might be the one from Shop Notes but I am not sure where the plans came from, but it sure looks the the same plans.

I have my delta bench top jointer on one side, and my Ryobi planer on the other. The critical measurement is for the planer since it is so high. Make sure you have plenty of clearance below the "top" of the stand and the jointer will take care of itself, (unless you have really long in/out feed tables on it.)

I haven't found a problem with them both on the same stand, but I find that my habits are to use the jointer on all my work and then go to the planer. Also I can flip from one to the other in less than 90 seconds without any hurry.

They are heavy pieces, so make sure you put large, good quality wheels on it and make sure you can lock them!!! You don't want to chase the jointer around you shop!!!
        Bernie

Owww -- That spinnin' thang hurt!!

Comment

• Turaj
          Veteran Member
          • Dec 2002
          • Toronto, Ontario, Canada.
          • BT3000 (1998)

I agree with Larry as you don't want those two on the same stand. On mine, I have Ridgid planer on one side and an import disk/belt (9/6) sander on the other side. I am thinking about adding some kind of extension to support the long boards and for that reason, I was thinking that planer / miter saw might be a good pair (I don't have a miter saw at the moment). Of course that requires some precise measurement and woodwork. As for any other tools, just make sure that they are OK hanging upside down.
          Turaj (in Toronto)
          "When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading!" Henny Youngman

Comment

• jking
            • May 2003
            • Des Moines, IA.
            • BT3100

If you build two stands, you might consider setting it up so you can use both the jointer & planer at the same time and then flip things over & have both the sander & grinder setups at the same time.

Comment

• poolhound
              Veteran Member
              • Mar 2006
              • Phoenix, AZ
              • BT3100

I agree with all the OPs about being able to use the jointer and planer at the same time. Do make sure you consider the weight of the tools you want to put on the stand and how that might affect construction.

Do also think about balance. I have my planer on one and it can be tricky flipping it as its so heavy. If you have tools on both sides I am not sure if this will make it harder or easier.
              Jon

Phoenix AZ - It's a dry heat

We all make mistakes and I should know I've made enough of them
              techzibits.com

Comment

• dbhost
                Slow and steady
                • Apr 2008
                • League City, Texas
                • Ryobi BT3100

Well let's consider weight then shall we>

#1. Lunchbox planer. Ryobi AP1301. 53.5lbs. (After nuts, bolts, and adapter to connect to 4" DC line, let's round up...) 54 lbs.

#2. Bench Top 6" jointer. Sunhill SM-150B. 42 lbs.

#3. SCMS. Chicago Electric #98194 12". (This replaced the B&D Firestorm non slider.) 39 lbs

#4. Oscillating sander. Ridgid EB4424 edge belt / spindle sander. 40 lbs

#5. Bench Grinder / sharpening station. Ryobi BGH-827 with Wolverine jig. Grinder 45 lbs, Wolverine Jig 5 lbs. Total weight 50 lbs.

I am planning on adding a Central Machinery #35570 bench top mortiser later on as well. (Weight not listed).

From a weight balance perspective, I would be best off it looks like, by putting the Planer on one, shared with for example the Grinder / Wolverine jig. And then the jointer / Sander can share another one...

I have no clue what the mortiser weighs, and the miter saw is likely to end up with a miter station of its own anyway... So I think I am on the right track...

Comment

• LarryG
                  The Full Monte
                  • May 2004
                  • Off The Back

Originally posted by poolhound
                  Do also think about balance. I have my planer on one and it can be tricky flipping it as its so heavy. If you have tools on both sides I am not sure if this will make it harder or easier.
                  Easier, because one tool serves as a counterweight for the other. The more near-equal the weights of the two tools, the easier it will be to flip them over. (If you had the exact same model planer on both sides, mounted in the same position relative to the pivots, you'd be able to spin them around with hardly any effort.)
                  Larry

Comment

• LarryG
                    The Full Monte
                    • May 2004
                    • Off The Back

Originally posted by dbhost
                    I have no clue what the mortiser weighs
                    Per amazon.com the generally similar JET is said to weigh 52 lbs, my Delta 77 lbs (which sounds about right), so that should give you an approximate range to work with.

I forgot to say before ... one problem that has been previously discussed WRT flipping the Ridgid OS/B sander is that all the little accessories and drums will fall out of their storage slots.
                    Larry

Comment

• dbhost
                      Slow and steady
                      • Apr 2008
                      • League City, Texas
                      • Ryobi BT3100

I had thought of that. Not sure how to deal with that issue...

Still considering options here...

Comment

• charliex
                        • Mar 2004
                        • Spring Valley, MN, USA.
                        • Sears equivelent BT3100-1

This is my set-up. I have no problem needing both planer and jointer at the same time, I joint then plane. Switching from one to the other takes less than 20 seconds.
                        Both items plus the cabinet is very heavy and the wheels I used are to light for the weight. I don't move it often or very far so it's not much of a problem.
                        The items are off-set front to back so the balance is fairly good, I just need to hold on to the table when I pull the stop. When I built this it was to be a prototype, but it worked so well that I added some oak trim and put it to use.

Sorry about the picture orientation.
                        Chas
                        Attached Files

Comment

• LCHIEN
                          Internet Fact Checker
                          • Dec 2002
                          • Katy, TX, USA.
                          • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by LarryG
                          Easier, because one tool serves as a counterweight for the other. The more near-equal the weights of the two tools, the easier it will be to flip them over. (If you had the exact same model planer on both sides, mounted in the same position relative to the pivots, you'd be able to spin them around with hardly any effort.)
                          Just remember that a planer weighs nearly 100# (I think some of the dewalts are 100#, some of the other brands weigh 60-80#) and a belt/disk sander probably weighs 40#, a cast iron benchtop jointer might weigh 50-60# easily. So your tool cart will be pretty top heavy. Make sure the base is wide enough not to want to tip over when using it or moving it or flipping the top, and make sure the cart is stout enough so it won't be racking.
                          Loring in Katy, TX USA
                          If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                          BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• mineengineer
                            Established Member
                            • Feb 2005
                            • Pittsburgh, PA, USA.
                            • BT3000 and BT3100 Frankensaw

Not just weight on each side.........

You also have to consider whe center of gravity of each piece for balance a taller/lighter piece of equipment like a drill press could counter balance a shorter/heavier piece like a jointer. Rember it is the torque/moment that are balacing each other not the specific weights......google moment arm or something similar if you want to learn more.......think seesaw.
                            Link

Comment

• LarryG
                              The Full Monte
                              • May 2004
                              • Off The Back

Originally posted by mineengineer
                              You also have to consider whe center of gravity of each piece for balance
                              True. That's what I was getting at with my example about mounting two identical planers, in the same relationship to the pivot points, on each side of the flippable top. Since most benchtop tools are fairly compact, matching the weights as closely as possible will go a long way toward equalizing the balance; but you're right, a tall, top-heavy piece like a drill press could easily throw things out of kilter.

Loring's points are sort of separate problems, but definitely things to bear in mind when designing the stand.

I'm not persuaded that flip-top tool stands are, all things considered, a good solution except possibly in the most crowded of shops. Two rolling stands with fixed tops would take up twice as much floor space, but since there's no second tool hanging upside down under the top, you can use that space to store something else ... a small benchtop tool that's light enough to pick up and set on a bench when it's needed, or just for general storage. And you sidestep all the problems with accessories falling out of their storage niches when the tool is flipped upside down. I've played with designing flip-tops a few times but every time I have, I end up deciding that for me, at least, they just don't work well.
                              Last edited by LarryG; 10-01-2010, 03:07 PM. Reason: typoos
                              Larry

Comment

Working...