• Show
Clear All
  • Snap Marc
    Established Member
    • Sep 2004
    • Atlanta, GA, USA.
    • Jet ProSHOP Full Cast Iron Hybrid

Building Baby Gates - Need Hardware

Maybe someone can help me find some specialized hardware for some baby gates I'm building. See these attached pics...

I need the little hasp-like clasp that connects the two halves of each gate and it prevents the gate halves from folding at the hinges.

Next is a nice looking chain with a quick connect. This is how the gates will actually close and lock shut.

Finally, I need three nice wheels that will support the gate's weight. These gates are heavy with the wrought iron and all. I'd like a nice wheel that will roll on carpet and hardwood. Two gates will roll on wooden floor and one on carpet.

Any help will be so much appreciated.

The first three pics are what I need. The gates are from photos I shot of a friend's gate. This is from where I copied my design. The following pics are my actual gates.
    Attached Files
    --
    Marc
    Roswell, GA

\"You get what you pay for.\"
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

can't help you too much but the latch looks a bit flimsy when matched against a toddler with some body weight and leverage of the length of the gate...
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Snap Marc
      Established Member
      • Sep 2004
      • Atlanta, GA, USA.

That clasp is on the gate I copied my design from. It doesn't have the be that exact clasp. I just need a way to keep the gate from folding at the hinges when the gate is fully opened and in use.
      --
      Marc
      Roswell, GA

Comment

• pelligrini
        Veteran Member
        • Apr 2007
        • Fort Worth, TX
        • Craftsman 21829

Lee Valley has several bar latches: http://www.leevalley.com/hardware/pa...08&cat=3,41399

They also have some nice looking casters: http://www.leevalley.com/hardware/pa...&cat=3&p=51976
        Last edited by pelligrini; 10-30-2009, 08:36 AM.
        Erik

Comment

• Snap Marc
          Established Member
          • Sep 2004
          • Atlanta, GA, USA.

That is exactly what I'm looking for. Thanks so much. I never remember to look there. Great products and prices seem better than most. Great choice of screws too in so many finishes.

My order is in. Thanks again! Really.
          --
          Marc
          Roswell, GA

Comment

• dbhost
            Slow and steady
            • Apr 2008
            • League City, Texas
            • Ryobi BT3100

Check your local Ace Hardware...
            Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• pelligrini
              Veteran Member
              • Apr 2007
              • Fort Worth, TX
              • Craftsman 21829

You're welcome, glad to help. I hope you got their hardware catalog with your order. I find it much better than browsing the website. The tool catalog is fun to look through. Woodcraft and especially Rockler carry some nice hardware too.

The dovetails on your gates are a nice touch. How did you go about getting the iron? Was it kingmetals, your own work, ???
              Erik

Comment

Working...