• Show
Clear All
  • dbhost
    Slow and steady
    • Apr 2008
    • League City, Texas
    • Ryobi BT3100

What I've been up to in the shop...

I have been busting my tail, and sweating it off working on shop organization projects... Tonight's projects included a scrapwood rework of my clamp racking system. I was able to squeeze in enough space to add a shelf, and side storage for my few pipe clamps.

And of course without pics it didn't or isn't happening. All that fuss and muss over my extension wing, well the wing is on the saw and I am fooling with various spacer blocks until I get the sizing juuuust right.... Then it is off to sand it, and seal it with poly...

Next is moving the router bit cases over next to the clamp racks...

Followed by moving the 39 bin small parts cabinets next to the router bit cabinets. What will free up the space closer to the door, and behind the planer / oscillating sander for hangers for yard tools, specifically hangers for the edger, weed eater, blower, shovels, rakes brooms, and dust pans. There will eventually, when the tools move to the other wall, be a hanger for the wheel barrow, and another high mounted shelf along the wall for smaller storable stuff.

These projects seem to take forever, but when I can get some shop time under the auspices of "but honey, I need to clean up so I can find XYZ to do the project YOU wanted.." it goes MUCH faster... And in this case I didn't lie. Most of my PPE was laying on top of my table saw, and I need it to cut some ply for the remaining shelf for the kitty condo now on its 6th design change...
    Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.
  • pelligrini
    Veteran Member
    • Apr 2007
    • Fort Worth, TX
    • Craftsman 21829

It's a neverending process dealing with smaller shop spaces.

If you haven't considered it, you might want to leave a little space in between your clamp rack and bit cases. I noticed that your rack is getting pretty full, and you're going to need some space for the next set of clamp purchases.
    Erik

Comment

• JR
      The Full Monte
      • Feb 2004
      • Eugene, OR
      • BT3000

You have yard tools in your shop? Oh, you've come so far, yet have so far to go...

Seriously, good job on organizing the bits and pieces. That will really help your productivity. And the wide table is coming along nicely.

It looks like you still have some DC work to do though...

JR
      JR

Comment

• cabinetman
        Gone but not Forgotten RIP
        • Jun 2006
        • So. Florida
        • Delta

Clamp rack is fillin' up...lookin' good. I like that fine adjustment tool you have there in the first picture with the long wood handle.

Comment

• dbhost
          Slow and steady
          • Apr 2008
          • League City, Texas
          • Ryobi BT3100

Oh yeah I have DC work to do...

I have usually been too lazy to drag the hose from the DC to the table saw. That HAS to stop...

I think I will go out instead of sideways with the next stage of the clamp rack, similar to Suwat's setup, but nowhere near as fancy... As far as bar clamps go, I am good for a while. I really lack handscrews, C clamps, and band clamps. I have been using ratcheting cargo straps for band clamps for a while now. Kind of hard to keep square...

By the way those boxes on the left edge of the first photo, that is most of my DC fittings. The pipe is on the floor on the other side waiting to be installed on the wall that has 1/4 used shelving on it...

One organization project at a time and I will get there. Might take me 5 years, but I will get there.
          Last edited by dbhost; 07-31-2009, 09:05 AM.
          Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• pelligrini
            Veteran Member
            • Apr 2007
            • Fort Worth, TX
            • Craftsman 21829

Originally posted by dbhost
            As far as bar clamps go, I am good for a while. I really lack handscrews, C clamps, and band clamps. I have been using ratcheting cargo straps for band clamps for a while now. Kind of hard to keep square...
            Good until the next sale pops up or that 'not enough clamps' feeling hits when you're passing by them in the store.

One or two setup angles clamped in the corners will help to keep things square. I picked up a pair of rockler assembly squares http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=10113 they are pretty handy. The large speed squares work too.
            Erik

Comment

• dbhost
              Slow and steady
              • Apr 2008
              • League City, Texas
              • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by pelligrini
              Good until the next sale pops up or that 'not enough clamps' feeling hits when you're passing by them in the store.

One or two setup angles clamped in the corners will help to keep things square. I picked up a pair of rockler assembly squares http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=10113 they are pretty handy. The large speed squares work too.
              Gee thanks, one MORE thing I can't live without... No wonder I have storage problems...

Seriously, that is one of the items I have been trying to figure out what they are called... Thanks.

Comment

• pelligrini
                Veteran Member
                • Apr 2007
                • Fort Worth, TX
                • Craftsman 21829

There's a thread somewhere about using some Stanley corner brackets. They can be made out of wood too. I used to have a wood right angle block that would fasten to my assembly table, but it got cut up and used in something else by mistake. Rockler will put theirs on sale quite often.
                Erik

Comment

• LarryG
                  The Full Monte
                  • May 2004
                  • Off The Back
                  • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

Originally posted by pelligrini
                  There's a thread somewhere about using some Stanley corner brackets.
                  That would be this one. I was looking for it while you were posting, and discovered the photo links were busted. Fixed now.
                  Larry

Comment

• dbhost
                    Slow and steady
                    • Apr 2008
                    • League City, Texas
                    • Ryobi BT3100

Went by Ace Hardware on the way home, picked up some Bromide Stump Out (not related to the shop) a big box of the screw in wall anchors, and an commercial fire extinguisher (Ace has some of the coolest stuff!).

Got to work on the shop by installing the extinguisher next to the clamp rack, then moved the router bit cases next to that, Skil on bottom, MLCS on top. Then moved one of the 39 drawer cabinets over. Not enough room for both with the shop vac tubing in place. So that has to come out now... Not that the shop vac setup is bad per se, but I was an idiot and set it up with too many elbows...

I emptied out a mess of misc stuff, including about 180 refillable beer bottles from the shelves on the other side of the shop, which those are now soaking in prep to remove the labels, once the labels are gone, they will be given a quick wash, dried, boxed and put in the attic, or given away. (Offered to a friend, but if they don't get them, they gotta go somewhere...)

I now have a small stack of closet shelf brackets, and ladder hanger brackets. The ladder hangers will hold the folding steel sawhorses, the new long shelf willhold a mess of various finishes, paints, lawn & garden chemicals, glue etc... Overall I think it will work at least until I can build proper cabinets with locking doors...

I am making so much progress, yet it seems like I am going backwards sometimes...

Comment

• LCHIEN
                      Internet Fact Checker
                      • Dec 2002
                      • Katy, TX, USA.
                      • BT3000 vintage 1999

DIY assembly squares for the shop

Originally posted by dbhost
                      Gee thanks, one MORE thing I can't live without... No wonder I have storage problems...

Seriously, that is one of the items I have been trying to figure out what they are called... Thanks.

Make your own assy squares:
                      approx 7-8" 2x2s ripped from 2x4's jointed and planed to be square and square in both senses of the term. get it down to about 1.5" square and that's perfect. Use straight-grained parts of 2x4s with no knots or defects.

Carefully cross cut at 90° then butt-joined. In addition to glue there's two 3.5" screws into the end for strength. Checked for perfect right angles before the glue sets. Drilled out the inside corner (1/4") and 1/4" chamfer the outside corner for glue relief so it doesn't stick to any assemblies that might ooze a little glue. Break all the sharp edges. I have four of these.

The $12 Rockler ones are plastic and early on they had some issues with being perfectly square. Its said that's now fixed though. But I trust mine more and they cost practically nothing to build in a short time.
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by LCHIEN; 08-01-2009, 07:01 PM.
                      Loring in Katy, TX USA
                      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                      BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• dbhost
                        Slow and steady
                        • Apr 2008
                        • League City, Texas
                        • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by LCHIEN
                        Make your own assy squares:
                        approx 8" 2x2s ripped from 2x4's jointed and planed to be square and square in both senses of the term.

Carefully cross cut then joined. In addition to glue there's two 3.5" screws into the end. Checked for perfect right angles. Drilled out the inside corner and chamfer the outside corner for glue relief so it doesn't stick to any assemblies that might ooze a little glue. I have four of these.

The Rockler ones are plastic and early on they had some issues with being perfectly square. Its said that's now fixed though. But I trust mine more and they cost practically nothing to build in a short time.
                        I like that idea! I am going to have to print it out to .pdf and save it for later reference.

Comment

Working...