• Show
Clear All
  • BigguyZ
    Veteran Member
    • Jul 2006
    • Minneapolis, MN
    • Craftsman, older type w/ cast iron top

Source for good hardboard?

I'm looking at building some projects in shopnotes and the like, and every time I look at my local HD, Menards, or Lowes, all of the Hardboard has one smooth side and one furry side. Where do you find the hardboard that has two smooth sides? Is this something I'll have to go to a lumber yard to find?

Also, where's a good source for adhesive backed sandpaper? (for miter fences and the like?)

Thanks!
    Last edited by BigguyZ; 05-12-2009, 03:18 PM. Reason: meant sandpaper (in tape form perhaps), not tape...
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by BigguyZ
    I'm looking at building some projects in shopnotes and the like, and every time I look at my local HD, Menards, or Lowes, all of the Hardboard has one smooth side and one furry side. Where do you find the hardboard that has two smooth sides? Is this something I'll have to go to a lumber yard to find?

Also, where's a good source for adhesive backed tape? (for miter fences and the like?)

Thanks!
    never seen hardboard (masonite) with two smooth sides. I think that (the fuzzy side) is a feature of the process.

Adhesive backed tape? What kind of tape? You mentioned miter fences, do you want the wood to slide or not slide against the fence?

like UHMW or teflon tape (slick)? Scotch tape? Masking (painter's) tape? Duct, electrical, etc. Sandpaper with PSA backing?
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• LarryG
      The Full Monte
      • May 2004
      • Off The Back
      • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

Tempered hardboard is smooth both sides (or at least all that I have seen has been). It is difficult to impossible to find at the big box stores; a good lumber yard or a friendly cabinet shop would be better bets.

Depending on the application, 1/4" MDF, if you can get that, can often be substituted for hardboard. The Home Depot here carries 1/4" MDF, in addition to 1/2" and 3/4", but Lowe's has only the latter two.

If you mean double-stick tape, I usually get mine from Highland Hardware in Atlanta.
      Larry

Comment

• BigguyZ
        Veteran Member
        • Jul 2006
        • Minneapolis, MN

I meant adhesive-backed sandpaper. Sorry. But is that something a B&M store (big box) will have? I've looked...

All of the designs using hardboard show tempered hardboard, not the std fuzzy stuff. Do you think there'd be much of a difference? I want to make the shopnotes Dovetail Jig Station... and that calls for tempered hardboard for the stops... I guess 1/4" MDF would work, but I like of the the contrast of the dark hardboard versus the plywood...

Thanks again!

Comment

• Tom Miller
          Veteran Member
          • Mar 2003
          • Twin Cities, MN
          • BT3000 - Cuttin' it old school

It comes and goes at the HD & Menards that I go to, but I recently purchased hardboard at HD (in Woodbury) that is smooth both sides. It's 3/16", and not 1/4" if that matters.

Otherwise, I've been substituting 1/4" and 1/8" MDF, due to its availability, and also wanting smooth both sides.

Regards,
          Tom

Comment

• LarryG
            The Full Monte
            • May 2004
            • Off The Back

The big box stores will probably have 5" and/or 6" PSA (pressure sensitive adhesive) discs, for random-orbit sanders. I don't know if they'd have anything else ... you might have to go to an online vendor like supergrit.com or Klingspor's.

You mentioned "stops" ... I think I may know the dovetail station you mean. If I'm remembering it correctly and you only need small pieces, old-timey clipboards are made out of tempered hardboard and only cost a couple bucks each. That might be one dodge that'll get you the materials you need. They won't be 1/4" thick, though; more like 1/8".
            Larry

Comment

• cabinetman
              Gone but not Forgotten RIP
              • Jun 2006
              • So. Florida
              • Delta

You can get adhesive backed sandpaper in a roll, LIKE THIS. Most of the sheet goods suppliers I use carry tempered masonite in 1/8", 3/16", and 1/4", that's smooth on both sides. The same suppliers carry hardwood plywood, melamine, and some carry hardwoods. They sell primarily to the trade, but some have "counter sales" to sell to the general public. You might find them in your area. They are usually listed under "plywood" in the yellow pages. Or, call some local cabinet shops. They may have it or direct you where you can get it.

Comment

• Tamarack
                Established Member
                • Oct 2003
                • Speedwell, TN USA
                • BT3100

I suggest you talk to one or two of the cabinet shops in your area, many will add your needs to their order and you go to his shop to pick it up after the supply truck makes his delivery. I was having a hard time finding a source for Baltic Birch plywood within reasonable driving range and took this option, got exactly what I wanted and very little of MY gas was used. The price was fairly reasonable as I paid half in advance and the rest C.O.D. so the cabinet shop did not have any of their money tied up in it. S2S tempered hardboard in full 1/4" is also readily available this way.

Paul

Comment

• cgallery
                  Veteran Member
                  • Sep 2004
                  • Milwaukee, WI
                  • BT3K

What Larry said, try a lumberyard. In fact, if you call them and tell them you need tempered smooth two sides they'll know exactly what you're talking about, and probably have a lift of the stuff.

Comment

• SARGE..g-47

On the self adhering sandpaper for the fence I use some intended for my Scary Sharp I get from Klingspors site but it does come in rolls and probably more than you need. I have seen the self-adhesive sandpaper at the Box stores used for safety grip on steps.. floors.. etc. in shorter strips there. I have never bought any as my BIL is a shop foreman at Delta Air Lines and brings a roll occasionally. They use it on ramps.. step-ups on ground support vehicles.. etc.

3M spray adhesive will work on regular sandpaper also.

Good luck..

Comment

• gsmittle
                      Veteran Member
                      • Aug 2004
                      • St. Louis, MO, USA.
                      • BT 3100

Over the weekend I found 3/16 tempered hardboard smooth on both sides in my local Lowes. It was in the flooring section, not lumber.

g.
                      Smit

"Be excellent to each other."
                      Bill & Ted

Comment

• BigguyZ
                        Veteran Member
                        • Jul 2006
                        • Minneapolis, MN

Originally posted by Tom Miller
                        It comes and goes at the HD & Menards that I go to, but I recently purchased hardboard at HD (in Woodbury) that is smooth both sides. It's 3/16", and not 1/4" if that matters.

Otherwise, I've been substituting 1/4" and 1/8" MDF, due to its availability, and also wanting smooth both sides.

Regards,
                        Tom
                        Hmmm.... I may have to drive out there next time I get bored and check it out. Full sheets, or handipanels (either 2x4 or 4x4)? I have a sedan, so I'm not fitting a full sheet in there (unless I cut it down first).

Thanks!

Comment

• BobSch
                          • Aug 2004
                          • Minneapolis, MN, USA.
                          • BT3100

Try Youngblood lumber for the hardboard and Acme Tool in Plymouth (next to Hom Furniture on 494) for the adhesive backed SP.

WARNING: Acme is an adult candy store. Leave your plastic at home. DAHIKT
                          Bob

Bad decisions make good stories.

Comment

• BigguyZ
                            Veteran Member
                            • Jul 2006
                            • Minneapolis, MN

The problem I have with Youngblood is that they are almost impossible to go to because of hours... Maybe I can drop by Friday during the day (I work from home that day).

Is ACME cheaper than Woodcraft? a 4.5" by 30' roll's $22 there.

Thanks!

Comment

• LarryG
                              The Full Monte
                              • May 2004
                              • Off The Back

Originally posted by SARGE..g-47
                              3M spray adhesive will work on regular sandpaper also.
                              I thought of this sometime last night, after I went home. Every shop needs a can of 3M #77 spray adhesive.

Alternatively, you can make your own "adhesive backed sandpaper" using double-stick tape (what I usually do, for jigs and fixtures). Every shop needs a couple rolls of that, too.
                              Larry

Comment

Working...