• Show
Clear All
  • 3thumbs
    Established Member
    • Oct 2008
    • Northern Colorado
    • Delta 10" contractor saw/cast wings

Baltic Birch plywood

Most plans that I use call for Baltic Birch plywood. HD and Lowe's don't carry it, and the only place that I can find that has it at all only carries 5' x 5' sheets.
    The plans I have call for and use most of a 4 x 8 sheet.
    Where do you find yours?
  • cgallery
    Veteran Member
    • Sep 2004
    • Milwaukee, WI
    • BT3K

Menards carries a sort of Baltic Birch in 4x8 sheets.

I say "sort of" because I'm not sure it is made in the Baltics.

Comment

• jonmulzer
      • Dec 2007
      • Indianapolis, IN

Check with your local hardwoods dealer. You could substitute any plain grained hardwood plywood that you could find and after finished it should look just about identical.
      "A fine beer may be judged with just one sip, but it is better to be thoroughly sure"

Comment

• RmeDad
        Established Member
        • Jan 2006
        • Scottsdale, AZ
        • BT3100-1

Here's what I use!

Originally posted by 3thumbs
        Most plans that I use call for Baltic Birch plywood. HD and Lowe's don't carry it, and the only place that I can find that has it at all only carries 5' x 5' sheets.
        The plans I have call for and use most of a 4 x 8 sheet.
        Where do you find yours?
        I buy my birch plywood at HD! Millstead 3/4 In. x 2 Ft. x 4 Ft. Birch Pre-cut Plywood $16.44 ea. and Millstead 1/2 In. x 2 Ft. x 4 Ft. Birch Pre-Cut Panel $14.44 ea and Millstead 3/4 In. x 4 Ft. x 8 Ft. Birch Plywood $39.95 ea and Millstead 1/2 In. x 4 Ft. x 8 Ft. Birch Hardwood Plywood $37.88 ea. and Millstead 1/4 In. x 4 Ft. x 8 Ft. Birch Plywood $24.88 ea.
        Jack

Throughout my racing career I was constantly reminded of this: "Keep the pointy end forward and the shiny side up!"

Comment

• dbhost
          Slow and steady
          • Apr 2008
          • League City, Texas
          • Ryobi BT3100

Must be your Lowes or Home Depot. Plenty of Birch ply around these parts!
          Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• cabinetman
            Gone but not Forgotten RIP
            • Jun 2006
            • So. Florida
            • Delta

If you ask for Apple Ply, it's equal to Baltic Birch, comes in 4'x8', and is made in the U.S.

Comment

• LinuxRandal
              Veteran Member
              • Feb 2005
              • Independence, MO, USA.
              • bt3100

If I remember correctly, the Menards birch, is appleply, or some name along those lines (USA birch made). Baltic birch, is much heavier then the borg ply, and has NO voids. It also come in a European standard, 5x5.
              She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• Tom Slick
                Veteran Member
                • May 2005
                • Paso Robles, Calif, USA.
                • sears BT3 clone

real BB comes in 5x5 sheets.
                Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Comment

• drumpriest
                  Veteran Member
                  • Feb 2004
                  • Pittsburgh, Pa, USA.
                  • Powermatic PM 2000

The home depot and lowes birch plywood is not equivalent to baltic birch, as Tom points out. Baltic birch is a much higher grade of plywood in that all voids have been filled with inlay material, not with wood paste, or ignored, which is the case with ply from HD and Lowes. You don't always get a pretty face when buying BB, I use it mostly for veneer substrate, and when I need a plywood that has a prayer of being flat (though it's not always flat either)
                  Keith Z. Leonard
                  Go Steelers!

Comment

• LCHIEN
                    Internet Fact Checker
                    • Dec 2002
                    • Katy, TX, USA.
                    • BT3000 vintage 1999

real Baltic Birch plywood comes from nations neigboring the Baltic sea in Europe, which means scandanavian countries like Finland , Russia, Denmark, etc. Characteristics include metric sizing (3, 6, 9 mm, 12mm roughly equal to 1/8, 1/4, 3/8, 1/2". ), coming in 5'x5' sheets which equates to around 1.52 meters, very thin layer, void-free laminations (1/2" may have 9 plys) which look attractive when the cut edge is viewed, and a nice clear birch veneer. I would assume that the internal lamination layers are also native woods to the Baltic area which would include probably birch or aspens? (as opposed to pines and Firs in US-made contruction grade plywoods) Its a quality plywood which is attractive, stable and works nicely and finshes well even if raw edges are left exposed.

Other plywoods could be substituted if you found equal features other than the 5x5 sizing. I understand Applyply is similar in most respects except comes in 4'x8' sheets and the plys and veneers are maple rather than birch.
                    OTOH, just plain "birch" plywood is not the same, the veneer should be birch but the interior construction will be more like regular plywood, thicker softwood plys or lower quality.
                    Last edited by LCHIEN; 02-08-2009, 03:09 PM.
                    Loring in Katy, TX USA
                    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• 3thumbs
                      Established Member
                      • Oct 2008
                      • Northern Colorado

Thanks for all of your input. I went and looked at the HD Birch plywood, and I think that I'll give it a shot. At about 20% of the cost of real BB Ply, I guess that I can put up with some filler on the exposed end grain. It's a shop cabinet, so if it turns out badly, I'll just paint it!
                      DM

Comment

• khf314
                        Forum Newbie
                        • Jul 2008
                        • Sunland, CA (Los Angeles)
                        • Craftsman 21829

Baltic Birch

My local hardwood dealer (Pasadena, CA - Arroyo Hardwoods) carries two kinds, Finnish birch and Russian birch. The Russian birch is somewhat lower quality but 1/2 to 2/3 the price. Both are 5 x 5 sheets.

I can also get ripped pieces of BB at my local Rockler's if I need less than a full sheet.
                        Kris Freyermuth
                        "Even if you win the rat race, you're still a rat."

Comment

• fastfoodkills
                          Forum Newbie
                          • Jan 2008
                          • Saugus, CA
                          • BT3000 bought in Y2K; Replaced w/ Steel City cast iron 3 HP

Found a nice source in the San Fernando Valley - Far West Plywood is asking about $36.00 for pre-finished lacquered Russian BB 1/2" in 5x5 sheets. Van Nuys Plywood on Topanga (not in Van Nuys anymore) has unfinished Russian BB 5x5 1/2" for around $27.00. I thought Philips in Pacoima had the Russian 3/4" 4x8 sheets for $75-80.00.
                          Last edited by fastfoodkills; 02-09-2009, 11:17 AM.

Comment

• 3thumbs
                            Established Member
                            • Oct 2008
                            • Northern Colorado

Well, I used the Birch ply from HD. It's usable, but it has a lot of voids in the end grain, and you have to be really careful with the sander, because the veneer is quite thin.
                            DM

Comment

• poolhound
                              Veteran Member
                              • Mar 2006
                              • Phoenix, AZ
                              • BT3100

Originally posted by 3thumbs
                              Thanks for all of your input. I went and looked at the HD Birch plywood, and I think that I'll give it a shot. At about 20% of the cost of real BB Ply, I guess that I can put up with some filler on the exposed end grain. It's a shop cabinet, so if it turns out badly, I'll just paint it!
                              DM
                              Not sure how much you paid at HD or what you have been quoted for BB but HD HW ply is usually $40-$50 a sheet (3/4") and a sheet of BB is nowhere near $200! I usually see it anywhere from $50-$75 a sheet.
                              Jon

Phoenix AZ - It's a dry heat

We all make mistakes and I should know I've made enough of them
                              techzibits.com

Comment

Working...