• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 182much
    Forum Newbie
    • Jan 2008
    • Norco, CA

infeed/outfeed table

Would 1 inch thick acrylic work for infeed/outfeed tables?
    I have a chance to buy some for $5 for a 4' X4' sheet
  • Uncle Cracker
    The Full Monte
    • May 2007
    • Sunshine State
    • BT3000

Might be tough to dress back up once it got scratched up... But at $5 a sheet, you might just think about making your tables with replaceable tops, particularly if you could use both sides of the surface.

Comment

• pecker
      Established Member
      • Jun 2003

For $5, I'd buy it just for the gloating priveledge of that price...
      Try $284 plus freight. http://freckleface.com/shopsite_sc/s...roduct730.html

Comment

• dbhost
        Slow and steady
        • Apr 2008
        • League City, Texas
        • Ryobi BT3100

acrylic isn't much structurally. It tends to sag very easily, and is not what I would call thermally stable. This is why you see acrylic inserts over wooden tables...
        Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• LCHIEN
          Internet Fact Checker
          • Dec 2002
          • Katy, TX, USA.
          • BT3000 vintage 1999

1" thick ought to save the sag problem but it will be heavy and scratch easily. The fact that it's clear is not a big advantage for an outfeed table. Its not real strong so legs and stuff attached may crack and pull out if subjected to abnormal stress (consider the weight again). Don't use threaded screws into the Acrylic, use throught bolts with countersunk heads.
          Even cheap, seems like there's much better choices for an outfeed table.

On the other hand, its great for decorative items. $5 a sheet is a bargain. I guess for a 4x4 outfeed table, it could work.
          Last edited by LCHIEN; 12-05-2008, 10:46 AM.
          Loring in Katy, TX USA
          If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
          BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• 182much
            Forum Newbie
            • Jan 2008
            • Norco, CA

Where I found it

http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/mat/944768921.html
            If anyone else is interested

Comment

• JimD
              Veteran Member
              • Feb 2003
              • Lexington, SC.

The plusses besides the price are that it should be slick with a coat of wax and you can shape it with woodworking tools - but it has more tendency to burn and crack if you don't do something quite right. Minuses have been mentioned - not very strong, you would see scratches easily, and it's heavy. It would work and be unique.

Jim

Comment

• Tom Slick
                Veteran Member
                • May 2005
                • Paso Robles, Calif, USA.
                • sears BT3 clone

At 1" thick it will be very heavy. They are calling it "acrylic" but if "teller line glass" is the same as bullet resistant glass then it is probably polycarbonate which is a bit stronger than acrylic.
                Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Comment

• cgallery
                  Veteran Member
                  • Sep 2004
                  • Milwaukee, WI
                  • BT3K

I'd purchase it, and stick it in my garage until I formulated a way to sell it for a higher price.

It is too valuable to use as infeed/outfeed.

And I agree w/ Tom Slick, it sounds like it is polycarbonate rather than acrylic. Either that, or the tellers that are standing behind it are substantially less safe than they imagine.

Comment

Working...