• Bosch 4100-09

That's a really good idea.

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
      The Full Monte
      • May 2007
      • Sunshine State
      • BT3000

Interesting, but you've got to remove your fence(s), blade guard, etc. and lower your blade into the table before the outfeed table can be rolled into it's storage position. Seems like a PITA, compared to a folding table top on the outfeed.

Comment

• pelligrini
        Veteran Member
        • Apr 2007
        • Fort Worth, TX
        • Craftsman 21829

That is a nice idea.

It wouldn't be too hard to take off the guard if you had a sharkguard. I could certainly be modified to clear a fence for a BT3.

I always lower my blade before putting up my saw. I do have a 21829 though, and I would hate to damage my blade when it's sticking out the side. I don't really want to damage myself either.
        Erik

Comment

• dbhost
          Slow and steady
          • Apr 2008
          • League City, Texas
          • Ryobi BT3100

A fascinating idea. If I had a BT, or a contractor type saw, and not the portable job I do, that would be a GREAT idea for maximizing space.

I am not sure how hard it is to wind the blade to the parked position, or remove the guard from the BT, but I know it is ultra easy on the BTS.
          Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• Wood_workur
            Veteran Member
            • Aug 2005
            • Ohio
            • Ryobi bt3100-1

that is a pretty good idea.
            Alex

Comment

• Pappy
              The Full Monte
              • Dec 2002
              • San Marcos, TX, USA.
              • BT3000 (x2)

Thanks for the link. Gonna have to play with that idea a bit!
              Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
              Fools because they have to say something.
              Plato

Comment

• poolhound
                Veteran Member
                • Mar 2006
                • Phoenix, AZ
                • BT3100

That is interesting, I wonder what he used to pivot the caster mechanisum. I have been searching for a good method for one of my benches which is move able.
                Jon

Phoenix AZ - It's a dry heat

We all make mistakes and I should know I've made enough of them
                techzibits.com

Comment

• dlminehart
                  Veteran Member
                  • Jul 2003
                  • San Jose, CA, USA.

This would be great for a BT3x or something with a riving knife that vanishes when the blade is lowered. Or something that has one of those splitters that inserts into holes in the rear of the blade guard plate. It would be a hassle with my Craftsman 22114, even with the Shark Guard (with which I'm not nearly as happy as I'd hoped to be).
                  - David

“Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.” -- Oscar Wilde

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
                    The Full Monte
                    • May 2007
                    • Sunshine State
                    • BT3000

The problem is not winding the blade down per se, but that you have to do it every time you are done with the saw. This mechanism is not exactly the most durable of the BT features, nor is the hardware that attaches the rip fence. Yes, the fence could be left on if it's bare (although the extra height would have to be built into the outfeed table, possibly making it too high for worktable use, or too difficult to raise), but my fence usually has auxiliary facings or buddy rollers or featherboards in play, and having to remove these every time would also be a PITA.

Comment

• poolhound
                      Veteran Member
                      • Mar 2006
                      • Phoenix, AZ
                      • BT3100

Originally posted by dlminehart
                      It would be a hassle with my Craftsman 22114, even with the Shark Guard (with which I'm not nearly as happy as I'd hoped to be).
                      What about the SG is making you unhappy? This is the first time I have ever heard anybody mention issues or express anything other than great joy as they get to trash the stock guard.
                      Jon

techzibits.com

Comment

• WeekEndDad
                        Forum Newbie
                        • Jan 2003
                        • Highland, Ca, USA.

That was one of the primary reasons I built Sawzilla.
                        I wanted an extended outfeed table and the ability to cut large sheets of ply without support stands.
                        But it did create a large cabinet saw.
                        Attached Files

Measure Twice, Cut Once!
                        Then get more lumber!

WeekEndDad's Home Page
                        Email WeekEndDad

Comment

• dlminehart
                          Veteran Member
                          • Jul 2003
                          • San Jose, CA, USA.

Shark attack?

"What about the SG is making you unhappy?"

Jon, it's not so much that the SG is making me unhappy as that it doesn't add as much value to the 22114, for a couple reasons. (1) 22114 has a fixed splitter, whether stock or with the SG, not a riving knife that moves up and down with the blade as on the BT3100. On the BT3100, to do a dado I simply had to remove the SG, which took only a few seconds. On the 22114, I have to remove the SG and the splitter. The splitter is more of a hassle, with attachments under the throat plate. If I replace the splitter that comes with the SG with an insert in the back of the throat plate, it might be simpler for me. (I'd probably make a few plates with splitters of different heights. Changing out a plate is quick and easy.) But the SG attaches to the splitter...
                          (2) I got the regular SG; I think there's an upsell available at more $$$. Mine is a bit floppy, given that the back of it is only a couple inches high, and mounts about 4 inches up on the splitter. I.e., there's an inch or two of air under the back of the SG, and its pivot point is rather high and rather loose.

I'm thinking of making my own version of one of the overhead guards, perhaps something like this one (available for not a lot more than the SG from Amazon):
                          Attached Files
                          - David

“Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.” -- Oscar Wilde

Comment

• poolhound
                            Veteran Member
                            • Mar 2006
                            • Phoenix, AZ
                            • BT3100

"What about the SG is making you unhappy?"

Jon, it's not so much that the SG is making me unhappy as that it doesn't add as much value to the 22114, for a couple reasons. (1) 22114 has a fixed splitter, whether stock or with the SG, not a riving knife that moves up and down with the blade as on the BT3100. On the BT3100, to do a dado I simply had to remove the SG, which took only a few seconds. On the 22114, I have to remove the SG and the splitter. The splitter is more of a hassle, with attachments under the throat plate. If I replace the splitter that comes with the SG with an insert in the back of the throat plate, it might be simpler for me. (I'd probably make a few plates with splitters of different heights. Changing out a plate is quick and easy.) But the SG attaches to the splitter...
                            (2) I got the regular SG; I think there's an upsell available at more $$$. Mine is a bit floppy, given that the back of it is only a couple inches high, and mounts about 4 inches up on the splitter. I.e., there's an inch or two of air under the back of the SG, and its pivot point is rather high and rather loose.

I'm thinking of making my own version of one of the overhead guards, perhaps something like this one (available for not a lot more than the SG from Amazon):
                            Now I understand. The main reason I am so happy with the SG is how easy it is to use for non through cuts as the riving knife does go up and down. I can see its the design of the 22114. what a PITA ....
                            Jon

techzibits.com

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
                              The Full Monte
                              • May 2007
                              • Sunshine State
                              • BT3000

Those over-arm guards are slick, but I have had a chance to "cop a feel" on a few of them, and I gotta tell you that those I have seen on the "more economical" end of the spectrum have been very flimsy... I would recommend that you try to get a close-up look at any model you're considering before you buy.

Comment

Working...