• Show
Clear All
  • gychang
    Established Member
    • Jan 2006
    • Sacramento, California
    • none

finish option for OSB

I plan to try OSB instead of plywood to build a good sized speaker. I would think the usual stain is not ideal.

Is the paint a reasonable option? (plan on latex with a roller?), will it cover reasonably well? (will it get into the cracks?). Also considering laminate as cover on the visible surface.

any suggestions will be appreaciate.

gychang
    Edit/Delete Message
  • Tom Slick
    Veteran Member
    • May 2005
    • Paso Robles, Calif, USA.
    • sears BT3 clone

you can paint it but it will look like painted OSB, not smooth at all.

Side note, waaay OT:

do you have a sister that lives in SLO?
    Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Comment

• jonmulzer
      • Dec 2007
      • Indianapolis, IN

OSB is not very rigid. Your box will flex quite a bit and resonate. What about using MDF? If you are looking for cheap, MDF fits the bill and is also perfect for building speaker enclosures and takes paint very well.
      "A fine beer may be judged with just one sip, but it is better to be thoroughly sure"

Comment

• poolhound
        Veteran Member
        • Mar 2006
        • Phoenix, AZ
        • BT3100

I would second MDF as a material. It is stable, easy to work (not chips like OSB) and takes paint well. As it is uniformally dense I would think it has better characteristics for making a speaker cab. If you are going to paint naked MDF it helps to put a sealer coat on first.

OSB is not flat so laminating could still leave voids. If you were going to the trouble of laminating using pre laminated MDF would be much easier. You can also get good quality veneered MDF that would have the same structural advantages and look great although a bit more pricy.
        Jon

Phoenix AZ - It's a dry heat

We all make mistakes and I should know I've made enough of them
        techzibits.com

Comment

• LCHIEN
          Internet Fact Checker
          • Dec 2002
          • Katy, TX, USA.
          • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by jonmulzer
          OSB is not very rigid. Your box will flex quite a bit and resonate. What about using MDF? If you are looking for cheap, MDF fits the bill and is also perfect for building speaker enclosures and takes paint very well.
          all very good points. Why OSB?
          Loring in Katy, TX USA
          If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
          BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• gychang
            Established Member
            • Jan 2006
            • Sacramento, California
            • none

Originally posted by jonmulzer
            I will line the OSB with hardibacker cement board I have laying around. Want to avoid MDF with health issues etc.

gychang

Comment

• poolhound
              Veteran Member
              • Mar 2006
              • Phoenix, AZ
              • BT3100

Originally posted by gychang
              I will line the OSB with hardibacker cement board I have laying around. Want to avoid MDF with health issues etc.

gychang
              Health issues with the finished product or just cutting MDF? If you are just cutting enough MDF for a couple of speakers, use good DC and wear a face mask you will have no issues. I am no doctor but the dust and mess from cutting cement board would surely be as bad.

Also OSB backed by cement board will make for a very strange construction and with these two materials layered on each other I would think the cabinet will be prone to lots of vibration that would affect the sound quality.
              Jon

Phoenix AZ - It's a dry heat

We all make mistakes and I should know I've made enough of them
              techzibits.com

Comment

• gychang
                Established Member
                • Jan 2006
                • Sacramento, California
                • none

Originally posted by poolhound
                I am no doctor but the dust and mess from cutting cement board would surely be as bad.
                usually I cut the board with the utility knife, therefore no dust. Sounds like OSB may not work out...

gychang

Comment

• jonmulzer
                  • Dec 2007
                  • Indianapolis, IN

USe MDF. Your plan is likely to cause for a really poor sounding box. If it is purely health concerns that keep you from using MDF, cut it outside with a box fan blowing the cutting dust away from you and wear a cheap dust mask. I really think people worry about things like this way too much most of the time.
                  "A fine beer may be judged with just one sip, but it is better to be thoroughly sure"

Comment

• Bigbit
                    Established Member
                    • Aug 2007
                    • Southern California
                    • BT3100-1

I'm not sure why the OP thinks that OSB poses a lower health risk than MDF. Both usually use very similar thermosetting resins as a binder - usually a Phenol Formaldehyde or the like. I would not want to breathe in dust from either.

Comment

• JoeyGee
                      Veteran Member
                      • Nov 2005
                      • Sylvania, OH, USA.
                      • BT3100-1

Just have the Big Box cut down the MDF for you. They will tell you they will not guarantee final dimensions, but they have always been fine for me.
                      Joe

Comment

• dbhost
                        Slow and steady
                        • Apr 2008
                        • League City, Texas
                        • Ryobi BT3100

Use MDF if you want a decent sounding speaker cab. I am not 100% sure why you want to do finish per se on a speaker cab instead of something like carpet. I am assuming then this must be for a loudspeaker and not a subwoofer or the like for an automotive install...

As far as the dust goes... Use the dust control your saw SHOULD have... If you are running a BT/21829/BTS then hook it up to a shop vac with a HEPA filter...

And just in case, make sure you are using a good quality dust mask, and cut outside!

Safety first. If you use your head when cutting the stuff, it is perfectly safe...
                        Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• knotley
                          Established Member
                          • Apr 2003
                          • Canada.

I have made quite a few speakers and subwoofers and have read a lot about building them. I also would strongly suggest not using OSB. I use MDF cut at the BORG and then acoustic sealant inside and paint flat black. Looks fine. The only thing is that the BORG will not cut the speaker hole. You must do that yourself. I do it outside with a mask.

Comment

• JimD
                            Veteran Member
                            • Feb 2003
                            • Lexington, SC.

My subwoofer is in a OSB cabinet. It resides between the floor joists so appearance was not an issue. I have painted OSB, however, it is what the walls and ceiling of my shop are made of. I also used it on a porch roof. For indoor use, I skim coat it with drywall compound. For exterior, I used bondo. With these fillers, the surface is reasonably smooth but still looks like painted OSB. You could put laminate on it, however, just fine. You could also cover it with stick on veneer but I think the OSB would show through. 1/4 plywood could also be used over the OSB.

OSB is stiffer and stronger than MDF. MDF is denser, however. OSB is closer to plywood in strength. MDF is about the same strength as particle board. I do not think MDF is definitely better for speakers than other sheet goods, I think it gets used because of it's relatively high density and it's relatively low cost. I usually use plywood.

Jim

Comment

• cgallery
                              Veteran Member
                              • Sep 2004
                              • Milwaukee, WI
                              • BT3K

+1 what JimD says.

MDF is great for building speakers. But building from other materials is not unheard of, and great results can be had.

I've never used OSB for building speakers. But my recent experiements with it for building some shop stuff wasn't that great. The piece I got at HD warped. It almost seems like the smooth side has some sort of finish on it to provide a little bit of water protection. The rough side has nothing on it. I think this imbalance allows for the rough side to absorb moisture.

OSB is cheaper than MDF at BORGS, though.

Comment

Working...