• Show
Clear All
  • Hoakie
    Established Member
    • Feb 2007
    • Iowa
    • Craftsman 21829

What I got for Father's Day

Time to work in the shop and make a table for my, relatively new 10" Craftsman DP.

Unfortunately, since I was flying by the seat of my pants, I didn't decide to add the apron until after I already cut the T-Track so it is short. oh well at least its done.

John
    To invent, you need a good imagination and a pile of junk. ~ Edison
  • JoeyGee
    Veteran Member
    • Nov 2005
    • Sylvania, OH, USA.
    • BT3100-1

Why not just scoot the T-Track forward so the gap is in the back? Do you need to move the fence that far back?
    Joe

Comment

• LCHIEN
      Internet Fact Checker
      • Dec 2002
      • Katy, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by JoeyGee
      Why not just scoot the T-Track forward so the gap is in the back? Do you need to move the fence that far back?
      as you can see the locking knobs are at the back of the fence so the track being all the way back is of more use than all the way forward. When the fence is forward the face will hang over the edge before the T-bolts leave the track.

Making the track go to the front edge is probably more of a cosmetic issue (looks funny) than a operational issue.
      Loring in Katy, TX USA
      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
      BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
        The Full Monte
        • May 2007
        • Sunshine State
        • BT3000

Once the fence comes forward past the bit, it's all just sorta academic, isn't it?

Comment

• Hoakie
          Established Member
          • Feb 2007
          • Iowa
          • Craftsman 21829

It is more of a cosmetic issue. I contemplated not creating the dado in the front skirt but then realized that if i wanted to add a hold down, I'd have to remove the fence to add it. I will live with the oops and learn from my mistake.
          John

Comment

• LCHIEN
            Internet Fact Checker
            • Dec 2002
            • Katy, TX, USA.
            • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by Hoakie
            It is more of a cosmetic issue. I contemplated not creating the dado in the front skirt but then realized that if i wanted to add a hold down, I'd have to remove the fence to add it. I will live with the oops and learn from my mistake.
            Its a handsome table. If you weanted to fix the cosmetics, you could put a keyhole in those slots int he apron allowing you to drop a T-bolt in but still have a smooth, continuous apron across the front.
            That is a block of wood to fill the gap, with a 3/4" hole drilled in it and one side cut out that would allow you to drop a bolt into the hole and then silde it into the end of the T_track.
            Loring in Katy, TX USA
            If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
            BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• TheRic
              • Jun 2004
              • West Central Ohio
              • bt3100

Hoakie, your right it is totally wrong just send it to me and I'll take care of your problem.

After looking at it closer, why the missing right back side? Because of the scrape you had laying around, or for a function that doesn't jump out at me??
              Last edited by TheRic; 06-18-2007, 10:04 PM. Reason: Added question at end.
              Ric

Plan for the worst, hope for the best!

Comment

• Hoakie
                Established Member
                • Feb 2007
                • Iowa
                • Craftsman 21829

TheRic,

The back right is missing because it is an incredibly small DP, the "notch" is to accommodate the height adjust handle.

John

Comment

• Hoakie
                  Established Member
                  • Feb 2007
                  • Iowa
                  • Craftsman 21829

Great idea about the keyhole. I'll tuck that one away for a rainy day If I was REALLY smart I could have used this as an opportunity to get a t-slot router bit out of the deal
                  John

Comment

• radhak
                    Veteran Member
                    • Apr 2006
                    • Miramar, FL
                    • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

Lovely table. Is that 2x4 for the apron and fence? what finish?
                    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
                    - Aristotle

Comment

• docrowan
                      • Mar 2007
                      • New Albany, MS
                      • BT3100

Ditto on radhak's question. Also, what size is the table?

Beautiful job. Looking forward to building my own one day.
                      - Chris.

Comment

• Hoakie
                        Established Member
                        • Feb 2007
                        • Iowa
                        • Craftsman 21829

Thanks radhak and docrowan

The table is laminate shelving and the table's apron and fence are maple, both from the BORG. I used 3 coats of wipe-on poly to finish the apron

The dimensions of the table, minus apron, is 22" wide, 11" deep. The apron is 3/4" so the overall dimensions are 23.5" x 11.75"
                        John

Comment

• Pappy
                          The Full Monte
                          • Dec 2002
                          • San Marcos, TX, USA.
                          • BT3000 (x2)

Originally posted by Hoakie
                          I contemplated not creating the dado in the front skirt but then realized that if i wanted to add a hold down, I'd have to remove the fence to add it.
                          Make that story, "designed to allow adding a hold down without having the sharp edges of the T track exposed", then stick to it!

Good looking table.
                          Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
                          Fools because they have to say something.
                          Plato

Comment

• Kerf
                            Established Member
                            • Feb 2006

Nice looking table!

Have you think about routing a square for a replaceable insert?
                            you could use 1/2" MDF for the insert, and replace it when it gets worn down. That way you don't have to worry about making holes into the table itself
                            Just a suggestion.
                            Nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't how hard you hit; it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward. How much you can take, and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done. Now, if you know what you're worth, then go out and get what you're worth. But you gotta be willing to take the hit, and not pointing fingers saying you ain't where you are because of him, or her, or anybody. Cowards do that and that ain't you. You're better than that! -Rocky Balboa-

Comment

• gad5264
                              Veteran Member
                              • Aug 2005
                              • Columbus, Ohio, USA
                              • BT3000/BT3100NIB

Nice table, fully functional.
                              Grant
                              "GO Buckeyes"

My projects: http://community.webshots.com/user/gad5264

Comment

Working...