• Show
Clear All
  • Wood_workur
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2005
    • Ohio
    • Ryobi bt3100-1

You dream project?

Okay, lets say you have your dream shop, with what ever you want in it, including an unlimited amount of money for wood. What would your dream project be? Decreibe it in detail, including finished, and include pics/ links to plans/pics if possible.

Mne would be a large entertainment centre, made of waterfall bubinga, entirely bookmatched, with:
    • a layout similar to this, but with a larger tv spot and wider storage behind the doors.
    • extreemly descrite hardware
    • gold-plated handles
    • a sprayed on laquer finish
    • waterfall glass from rocker
    • layered divisions and a crown like this

how about you?
    Alex
  • Doug Jones
    Established Member
    • Oct 2004
    • Indiana
    • Delta 36-444

For me its two separate projects. I can't really go into detail too much since I haven't seen any particular plans that catches my eye.

First project would be a complete bedroom suit. Bed with head and foot boards, rails. Tall dresser, smaller one w/ mirror, night stands, and an armoire. Made from cherry with walnut accents.

Second would be a complete matching Entertainment Room set. Entertainment center expandable for future purchases, coffee table, end tables, speaker cabinets, DVD storage. Probably made from oak or hackberry.

Comment

• ChrisD
      • Dec 2004
      • CHICAGO, IL, USA.

A sideboard for the dining room. This would be my first project that's not "hidden", i.e. not in a bedroom or the bathroom.

Overall style will be Shaker. The top will have a pronounced overhang off the carcase's sides.

The piece will be 40" high, 64" wide, and about 18" deep.

Narra will be the primary wood and straight-grained white oak will be used for the web frames, dividers, and internal drawer parts. (Narra is the national tree of my country of origin and white oak is the official tree of my adoptive state.)

The main box and the drawers will be dovetailed.

There will be some kind of string inlay on the legs and some more "solid" patterns on the doors.

From a tools standpoint, this project is doable.

From a cost standpoint, it is affordable.

From a skills standpoint, well: you did say dream project, right?

The war against inferior and overpriced furniture continues!

Chris

Comment

• mleichtle
        Established Member
        • Jan 2003
        • Cedarburg, Wi, USA.

I always thought it would be neat to redo an interior of some sports car all in wood.
        M. Leichtle
        Beer is proof that God exsists and wants us to be happy.
        Ben Franklin

Comment

• bigfoot
          Forum Newbie
          • Sep 2006

Hmm, since the original posting gives me my dream shop, then I suppose that makes my dream project a house, 4 Bdrm, big kitchen, 5 bathroom.

oh, and the finish would be paint on the inside, and brick on the outside
          The voices made me do it.

Comment

• billwmeyer
            Veteran Member
            • Feb 2003
            • Weir, Ks, USA.
            • BT3000

Although I haven't settled on a design yet, mine would be a grandfather's clock. I have wanted to build one for probably 20 years. I have to get started on this!

Bill
            "I just dropped in to see what condition my condition was in."-Kenny Rogers

Comment

• Knottscott
              Veteran Member
              • Dec 2004
              • Rochester, NY.
              • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

There have been a couple of projects I've wanted to build for a long time and have been essentially waiting for the skil improvements and confidence to tackle them. I've completed one of them...

Last fall I started an electric guitar that had been a little out of my comfort zone. For a variety of reasons, I did put it on hold shortly after starting it...one of those reasons was the realization of my lack of knowledge, thus lack of confidence once I got to a certain point. I completed that project last month, have since made some upgrades to the electronics, and plan to build a tube amp for it this winter while the shop is a frozen tundra! I gotta say, it was a challenging and rewarding project, and was incredibly satisfying to finish this one and see my son fire it up.
              http://www.bt3central.com/showthread.php?t=24080

Another attainable dream project is a grandfather clock. Likely something in the Mission or Arts 'n Crafts style. I will likely buy (and follow for the most part) my first set of plans for this one. Historically, I go it alone and consequently face the challenges of building a one of a kind. I've been wanting to make sure I'd be able to do this justice....most projects end up with a few boo-boos that I live with....I'm hoping to minimize those with this one! I've been contemplating which wood to choose for a couple years, but I recently won 100BF of QSWO from some old wine vats....seems only fitting that it get put to good use on dream project.
              Last edited by Knottscott; 11-29-2008, 07:10 AM.
              Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• onedash
                Veteran Member
                • Mar 2005
                • Maryland
                • Craftsman 22124

I would like to make a gun stock someday...
                I think that would be much harder than other furniture projects.

When it comes to carving is that something that you work up to or is it considered a starters project? I guess my first one would mimic an existing stock just for practice and work up to fancy walnut and better detail..???
                No idea.
                YOU DONT HAVE TO TRAIN TO BE MISERABLE. YOU HAVE TO TRAIN TO ENDURE MISERY.

Comment

• gsmittle
                  Veteran Member
                  • Aug 2004
                  • St. Louis, MO, USA.
                  • BT 3100

Anything that comes out reasonably square and doesn't wobble....

g.
                  Smit

"Be excellent to each other."
                  Bill & Ted

Comment

• Jeffrey Schronce
                    Veteran Member
                    • Nov 2005
                    • York, PA, USA.

Originally posted by Dustmight
                    Another attainable dream project is a grandfather clock. Likely something in the Mission or Arts 'n Crafts style. I will likely buy (and follow for the most part) my first set of plans for this one. Historically, I go it alone and consequently face the challenges of building a one of a kind. I've been wanting to make sure I'd be able to do this justice....most projects end up with a few boo-boos that I live with....I'm hoping to minimize those with this one! I've been contemplating which wood to choose for a couple years, but I recently won 100BF of QSWO from some old wine vats....seems only fitting that it get put to good use on dream project.
                    I think I am going to make the same clock kit, probably in QSWO as well.

As far as my dream project, it would be to use any wood I want to complete a huge office/library. Haven't thought about what wood that would be since I don't need to get those kind of crazy thoughts in my head!

Comment

• ufg8r85
                      Forum Newbie
                      • Aug 2006
                      • Stuart Florida
                      • bt3

How about an ark made out of teak, with room for two of everything except lawyers, and politicians, I'd leave the ex wife off too. But seriously it would be to make furniture for my dream cabin from the trees on the property, oak, maple...

Comment

• Pappy
                        The Full Monte
                        • Dec 2002
                        • San Marcos, TX, USA.
                        • BT3000 (x2)

SWMBO wants a Southwestern/rustic bedroom set. Probabaly the whole set of Mesquite with cast iron accent pieces inset.
                        Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
                        Fools because they have to say something.
                        Plato

Comment

• dtam
                          Established Member
                          • Mar 2006
                          • santa clara, CA
                          • delta 36-675

A Sam Maloof chair using plans from Hay Taylor
                          http://www.haltaylor.com/Merchant2/m...duct_Code=RCPT

Comment

• twistsol
                            Veteran Member
                            • Dec 2002
                            • Cottage Grove, MN, USA.
                            • Ridgid R4512, 2x ShopSmith Mark V 520, 1951 Shopsmith 10ER

Mine would be wall to wall bookshelves in my office on two walls, an L shaped desk with a granite top and 3/5 wainscoting on the rest of the walls. All in mahogany or black walnut

Finally, a pedestal for the 400 pound safe from Great Grandpa's hardware store, Skandia Hardware, Rockford Illinois, so I don't have to sit on the floor to open it.
                            Chr's

Comment

• leehljp
                              Just me
                              • Dec 2002
                              • Tunica, MS
                              • BT3000/3100

Originally posted by dtam
                              A Sam Maloof chair using plans from Hay Taylor
                              http://www.haltaylor.com/Merchant2/m...duct_Code=RCPT
                              Me too! Been my dream project for nearly 10 years.
                              Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

Working...