X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • netxtown
    Handtools only
    • Jul 2021

Occasional and Momentary motor lockup

I have an old ryobi tablesaw (BTS16). I used it pretty much just for ripping deckboards and 4x8 sheets of siding. On occassion - and somewhat frequently - the motor sounds like it locks up - and then it will run just fine for awhile. It reminds me of the sound the new "contact" technology makes when the blade is forcefully stopped.

The only reason i am looking to fugure this out - and repair it - is i hve this whole other neural program about tossing an entire tool in the trash (read landfill) over a 50 cent part. The tool may hold little to no value to me - but I can CraigsList the thing and somebody can get some use out of it - - - once it is running again.

My guess with this one is the brushes are worn way down. But i have no idea what "worn" brushes sounds like. I am wide open to suggestions to investigate the cause!

FWIW - the motor is no longer available...discontinued. I've ebayed the part number a few times and got zero hits.
    Last edited by netxtown; 07-28-2021, 08:42 AM.
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

After a lockup how do you get it started? Just turn off and back on? Have to move the blade rotation position?

Brush problems don't sound likely if it comes to a jarring stop. Still, brushes are easy to find, open, check and can be replaced with a little work from generic replacement brushes at places like Ace hardware. a little search on Google and U-tube can probably give you an idea how to check. if the saw is useless then it is not much of a risk.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

Working...