Header Ad

Collapse

Hello all and considering the dark side

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Hello all and considering the dark side

    Well its been a while and its great to see so many familiar cast members here. I have been busy with a host of things over the last few years (including now having 2 grandchildren). I am currently considering a momentous decisions so where else would I go for info and advice but here.

    I am not too far from retirement and a pension from one of my very first jobs matured recently. This was from a long while back and I never contributed a penny so although its not huge (approx $6K lump) it is free! I wanted to put it into something that I can look at and use and know that it came from my time with that company so the idea of some new big tools came right to mind. I was thinking small like a Festool sander but them LOML says why not a new Table Saw. That sent me down the rabbit hole, OMG which one would I choose? I have always liked the big yellow machinery (pm1000 maybe) and I remember lusting after after the new Unisaw when it first came out. I am thinking hybrid or bigger. Its hard also hard to think about a new tablesaw without Sawstop being in the mix and LOML likes me better when Im not in the ER!

    SO right now a Sawstop PCS is high on my list and am looking for other contenders for serious consideration. A lot of folks seem to say good things about the Shop fox. Here is my general wish list.

    Cast iron (no sheet metal contractor saws)
    Need router table in the extension so that may mean 36" rails, cant see many options for routers in 30" setups.
    1.75 or 2HP+ but want to stay 110
    Quality build
    Dust collection in blade guard
    Easy removal of typical stuff like Throat plate, blade, guard, riving knife.


    There are many other little things but those are the main ones. Love to hear opinions from all especially owners of sawstops and shopfox.

    I also have the quandary about what to do with my BT setup. I am sure many of you recall the major mobile base I built with storage extended rails and router table. Its still going strong and I wonder if I could find it a new home as I would hate to part it out unless I had to. (BTW I have a spare BT motor that I got just in case and have never needed).

    Look forward to catching up and having you folks help me spend some money!!

    Jon





    Jon

    Phoenix AZ - It's a dry heat
    ________________________________

    We all make mistakes and I should know I've made enough of them
    techzibits.com

  • #2
    Hey Jon! Good to see you here again. The reason we changed the name of the forum was to keep some of you guys who were buying off-brand saws!

    If I were buying a new one, I would probably buy a Sawstop. I recently had a change of mind on them - in that we can concentrate on what we are cutting and making . . . instead of multi-tasking and thinking of safety too. We should always think safety, but probably half the saw accidents are inadvertent accidents by normally safe people. The other half are those that don't need to be using a saw anyway!

    Keep us informed!
    Hank Lee

    Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

    Comment


    • #3
      Welcome back Jon. Arizona should be easy on cast iron tools, haha.

      Been retired now for 5 years and enjoying it, its nice to be able to pop out tot he shop when ever you want day or night and work on or make something,

      Sawstop has gotten a reputation for quality as well as safety. Its an investment.

      As for what to do with the BT, well, it depends on how attached you are to it. I am attached to my tools and hate to get rid of them so I'm running gout of room. And I'm sure that the BT with custom stand takes up a lot of room. Repurpose the stand for a miter saw and sell the BT?
      I don't know.

      As we continue on into retirement we also have to think about where the tools will end up when we are gone or even just move to retirement homes.
      Last edited by LCHIEN; 04-19-2021, 05:41 PM.
      Loring in Katy, TX USA
      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
      BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

      Comment


      • #4
        I use saw stop saws at the woodworking guild I belong to and really like them. Beyond the safety feature I find the build and power to be top notch. Easy to change parts, good dust collection and all around pleasure to use. Did stop a younger member who was trying to jam thru some very wet hickory the other day. Was surprised he did not trip the cartridge


        Harumpf!
        GrumpyDad

        Comment


        • #5
          My neighbor has a SawStop and a couple of weeks ago, he was cutting some plexiglas, lost sight of his one hand position, and his finger touched the spinning blade. He suffered a slight nick to the end of his finger. He feels it was money well spent.
          Jim Frye
          The Nut in the Cellar.
          ”Sawdust Is Man Glitter”

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by leehljp View Post
            Hey Jon! Good to see you here again. The reason we changed the name of the forum was to keep some of you guys who were buying off-brand saws!

            If I were buying a new one, I would probably buy a Sawstop. I recently had a change of mind on them - in that we can concentrate on what we are cutting and making . . . instead of multi-tasking and thinking of safety too. We should always think safety, but probably half the saw accidents are inadvertent accidents by normally safe people. The other half are those that don't need to be using a saw anyway!

            Keep us informed!
            Hi Hank, hope all is well with you. I have seen the new Sawdustzone and it must be easier from a maintenance point of view although I notice that some of the images did not make it over from the old platform. I am certainly heading in the Sawstop direction, it is more $$$ but how many more tablesaws will I ever buy? My shop is still pretty small so one of the things that I am noodling with is the size and footprint which will be bigger than my current setup. I could easily make do with the 30" but I like the other fence and rails that come with the 36 and supposedly I cant get a router extension in the 30". I also see that if I want a router extension I must have the heavy duty industrial mobile base which further adds to the footprint. Although if its as easy as they claim to move that beast around on that base then it would give me some options to move the saw based on specific operations. Lots to think about.
            Jon

            Phoenix AZ - It's a dry heat
            ________________________________

            We all make mistakes and I should know I've made enough of them
            techzibits.com

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by LCHIEN View Post
              Welcome back Jon. Arizona should be easy on cast iron tools, haha.

              Been retired now for 5 years and enjoying it, its nice to be able to pop out tot he shop when ever you want day or night and work on or make something,

              Sawstop has gotten a reputation for quality as well as safety. Its an investment.

              As for what to do with the BT, well, it depends on how attached you are to it. I am attached to my tools and hate to get rid of them so I'm running gout of room. And I'm sure that the BT with custom stand takes up a lot of room. Repurpose the stand for a miter saw and sell the BT?
              I don't know.

              As we continue on into retirement we also have to think about where the tools will end up when we are gone or even just move to retirement homes.
              Congrats on the retirement Loring, its nice to be the master of ones own time. I guess I am technically semi retired as I still run my own business so can theoretically work to my own schedule. While I have clients who still want to send me $$ every month its hard to just stop :-)

              If I had a large shop and the room I would probably keep the BT but alas every square inch is precious! I Like your idea of repurposing the base and I was looking at it this morning trying to remember how it was constructed and how easily the various components would come apart.

              In terms of selling the BT I take it that in current times its likely to get a better return parting it out than trying to sell as a working saw. Unless you happen upon someone in the local market whole knows and understands what a great saw the BT is. BTW is there somewhere on the site that would give an indication on what the major BT components are going for these days?

              Thanks

              Jon
              Jon

              Phoenix AZ - It's a dry heat
              ________________________________

              We all make mistakes and I should know I've made enough of them
              techzibits.com

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by GrumpyDad View Post
                I use saw stop saws at the woodworking guild I belong to and really like them. Beyond the safety feature I find the build and power to be top notch. Easy to change parts, good dust collection and all around pleasure to use. Did stop a younger member who was trying to jam thru some very wet hickory the other day. Was surprised he did not trip the cartridge

                Good feedback GD. are you using the 1.75HP or 3HP version? I am used to slow feeds on thick rips with the BT I am keen to understand how a higher powered saw will compare.
                Jon

                Phoenix AZ - It's a dry heat
                ________________________________

                We all make mistakes and I should know I've made enough of them
                techzibits.com

                Comment


                • GrumpyDad
                  GrumpyDad commented
                  Editing a comment
                  3hp is what the guild has

              • #9
                Originally posted by GrumpyDad View Post
                3hp is what the guild has
                Hmmmm, I was going to stay with the 1.75HP version but now you make me think I might have to bite the bullet and go for the 3hp.

                It has always been a bit of a mystery (at least to me) as to the effective HP of the BT motor. I have seen claims of anywhere from 1 to 2.5. Given how it performs ripping thick HW I dont see how it can be much more than 1.5 at most. Does anyone have any hard data on this? Loring mayne?

                Also anyone with first hand experience using the SS 1.75?

                I do have a subpanel in my shop so in theory I could get another circuit but it would be a pain, although as this would be my "forever saw" I guess I wouldnt regret the extra horses!!


                Jon
                Jon

                Phoenix AZ - It's a dry heat
                ________________________________

                We all make mistakes and I should know I've made enough of them
                techzibits.com

                Comment


                • #10
                  As with old stuff, as it gets further from last date of production the condition starts to vary wildly as to how it was kept or stored or used for storage of bags of corrosive fertilizer (haha) so prices start to go all over the place. Just like you can get internet Blue Book valuations of a used car, up to about ten years old and then after that age they don't even try.
                  Best source of going prices for parts is probably eBay's completed transactions.
                  Parting out a saw will likely give you more money but you have to deal with 6 or 7 sales and shipping transactions whereas selling a complete saw is one and done. Further more it just rankles my sensibility to tear apart a perfectly working, well cared for saw to sell it for its pieces.

                  As for motor HP, it doesn't really matter to me... whatever I get from my BT is what I have. It's just number. But for reference sake, 750 Watts is a HP. so a 15 A, 120 V circuit is 1800 watts or a little more than 2 HP at 100% efficiency. I usually see HP attached to induction motors but not to Universal motors so I don't know what kind of HP ratings it earns though its rated for 15 Amps.

                  What I do know of course is that HP and depth of cut limits the rate at which you can feed your work
                  Too slow and you risk burning the cut
                  Too fast and you risk stalling the motor.
                  When you can't feed fast enough to prevent burning and your motor is about to stall anyway if you feed any faster, then you have run out of horsepower.



                  Last edited by LCHIEN; 04-21-2021, 03:06 PM.
                  Loring in Katy, TX USA
                  If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                  BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

                  Comment


                  • #11
                    Originally posted by LCHIEN View Post
                    As with old stuff, as it gets further from last date of production the condition starts to vary wildly as to how it was kept or stored or used for storage of bags of corrosive fertilizer (haha) so prices start to go all over the place. Just like you can get internet Blue Book valuations of a used car, up to about ten years old and then after that age they don't even try.
                    Best source of going prices for parts is probably eBay's completed transactions.
                    Parting out a saw will likely give you more money but you have to deal with 6 or 7 sales and shipping transactions whereas selling a complete saw is one and done. Further more it just rankles my sensibility to tear apart a perfectly working, well cared for saw to sell it for its pieces.

                    I am with you on that. I will certainly try and sell as is first and hope to find an appropriately knowledgeable buyer. For one thing I have a sharkguard with dust collection on there that most used saw buyers would not appreciate the value.
                    Jon

                    Phoenix AZ - It's a dry heat
                    ________________________________

                    We all make mistakes and I should know I've made enough of them
                    techzibits.com

                    Comment


                    • #12
                      Well I did it! Just got back from my local Rockler $4K+ lighter but with a 3hp 36" sawstop with router table!

                      I guess I will have a variety of BT related items available for sale soon. I also cant use my 2 6" dado blades or allegedly my thin kerf blades so those will also be looking for a new home. Oh well my BT has served me well for 16+ years and helped make many things from cutting boards and boxes to fine furniture. I hope it (or its parts) will find new homes and continue cutting wood.
                      Jon

                      Phoenix AZ - It's a dry heat
                      ________________________________

                      We all make mistakes and I should know I've made enough of them
                      techzibits.com

                      Comment


                      • #13
                        Going to put in a 240 V 15 A connection to power that 3 HP beast?
                        Loring in Katy, TX USA
                        If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                        BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

                        Comment


                        • #14
                          Congrats. I would be interested in pricing on your Ryobi parts and pieces.
                          Harumpf!
                          GrumpyDad

                          Comment


                          • #15
                            Originally posted by LCHIEN View Post
                            Going to put in a 240 V 15 A connection to power that 3 HP beast?
                            YUP, hopefully this week
                            Jon

                            Phoenix AZ - It's a dry heat
                            ________________________________

                            We all make mistakes and I should know I've made enough of them
                            techzibits.com

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            X