• Show
Clear All
  • cabinetman
    Gone but not Forgotten RIP
    • Jun 2006
    • So. Florida
    • Delta

Originally posted by woodturner

My situation may be different, as I work in different shops. One is a reasonable size commercial shop, an old factory building I share with other woodworking companies, and we do share and use industrial tools like the General in that shop. These tools remain in place and are not even on mobile stands. In the other shop, quarters are tight as it's essentially the size of a one car garage, and we pretty much have to move each tool out from storage to use it, due to the space limitations. In this shop, I find the BT3X invaluable. When we travel to a client site to work on-site, I take the BT3X, not the General. That situation is really what prompted my comment, the need to move several shop power tools to a client site for particular kinds of work.
    Most professional shops like mine will likely have more than one table saw. One or more stationary cabinet saws, and one or more "jobsite saws". Of the shops that use my consultation services, the saws are set up to be used by anyone, no matter what their skills are. A properly set up saw does what it's set to do. The blade is set parallel to the miter slots, and the fence is parallel to both the blade and the miter slots. It's up to the operator to be able to set the fence to the measurements. The "jobsite saws" cut as accurately as the cabinet saws.

For the occasional user, or as in your case having to use equipment in other shops, if the saws aren't set up properly, and with different users, it can be a PITA to use them. Of all the shops I mentor, their clients want to see their shop, before handing over money. Some of them have been around a long time and have excellent reputations among the designers and architects. There would be work they wouldn't get because of shared space, or a shop too small that didn't appear to be able to handle the work.

Comment

• toolguy1000
      Veteran Member
      • Mar 2009
      • westchester cnty, ny

Originally posted by greenacres2
      ........Lifting onto the wheels requires not much more effort than pressing the brake pedal in my car.......l
      and truth be told, mobility was one of the primary reasons i sold my unisaw. with herc-u-lifts, the contractor saws are more maneuverable. the unisaw mobile base i was using had two fixed wheels and one pivoting wheel. it couldn't just be pushed into a corner or against a wall, it had to be steered. i didn't care for that.

and the older unisaws like my former saw appear to have smaller CI work surfaces as the wings on mine were 6" wide as opposed to the more common 12" wide wings on most of todays' saws.

that unisaw was a nicely built saw whose lift and tilt mechanisms, even after 40 years of use, and some of it apparently rather hard, still operated smoothly. one of my TSs is also ~ 40 years old, but i'm pretty sure it hasn't seen the service that unisaw might have seen. nor is it built to that standard. my TSs are homeowner/hobbyist use saws, like the 21833. they aren't designed to rip thickly dimensioned hardwoods all day long for days on end. but it is certainly possible, short of putting out lots of work quickly, for almost any TS to perform a given cut, with accommodation to the design of the saw. micheal fortune produces custom furniiture pieces and his go to saw is a ridgid 1400.

here's hoping the OP enjoys his new 21833 as much as each of us enjoys whatever TS we've chosen.
      there's a solution to every problem.......you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

• greenacres2
        • Dec 2011
        • La Porte, IN
        • Ryobi BT3000

Originally posted by toolguy1000
        ...here's hoping the OP enjoys his new 21833 as much as each of us enjoys whatever TS we've chosen.
        The OP would enjoy it more if we'd get back above 10 F. But not as warm as Tuesday/Wednesday's 60+ F with rain, 100% humidity, and dew settling on everything in the shop due to the unheated concrete floor!! Really tested the Boeshield--and it's all good. (i didn't dare plug a motor in Tuesday night--no way!!)

earl

Comment

Working...