• Show
Clear All
  • Cale Moyer
    Forum Newbie
    • Apr 2023
    • Melbourne Fl
    • BT3000

Fixture Blocks

Looking for a pair or maybe more of the fixture blocks that were available through t-nuts.com, they dont seem to be available anymore. If anyone has some they would like to sell please respond to this post.
    Last edited by Cale Moyer; 05-19-2023, 01:57 PM.
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

what the OP is talking about

http://t-nuts.com/index.php?cPath=77_63&osCsid=2dc2b2e38289699eceb12 c84a646da95
    Last edited by LCHIEN; 05-21-2023, 11:47 PM.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• leehljp
      leehljp commented
      Editing a comment
      That link is not coming up for me.

• LCHIEN
      LCHIEN commented
      Editing a comment
      Try again now?

• leehljp
      leehljp commented
      Editing a comment
      It works now. Thanks Loring!
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

Stay tuned... in a couple of days I will have a DIY fixture block design.

Made the measurements of the rip fence already
    ​ Made this measurement tonight. Dimensions of all the slots on the Rip/Miter fence (same extrusion if you never knew). Viewed from right end of miter, user end of rip fence. All dimensions in inches, +/-.005 I scanned the profile on my scanner and then used calipers to measure and apply the dimensions manually to the
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.

Comment

• Cale Moyer
      Forum Newbie
      • Apr 2023
      • Melbourne Fl
      • BT3000

Thank you for all that work Loring, was thinking along the same line of creating my own. Found a couple of 1”x 2”x 12” Al blocks that I’ve had for some time, finally may put them to use.

Comment

• LCHIEN
        Internet Fact Checker
        • Dec 2002
        • Katy, TX, USA.
        • BT3000 vintage 1999

I think I have a fixture block alternative that can be made without a machine shop,
        Just some wood and a BT3000 and some readily available aluminum bar. A drill press maybe and a single simple tapped hole in aluminum.

Reviewing it tomorrow and post soon.
        Loring in Katy, TX USA

Comment

• nicer20
          Established Member
          • Sep 2007
          • Dublin, CA
          • BT3100

Always looking forward to your ingenuity - BTW I am still trying to understand how these blocks work. I tried reading the documents on that website. But I don't think I understand all those usages mentioned.

Comment

• LCHIEN
            Internet Fact Checker
            • Dec 2002
            • Katy, TX, USA.
            • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by nicer20
            Always looking forward to your ingenuity - BTW I am still trying to understand how these blocks work. I tried reading the documents on that website. But I don't think I understand all those usages mentioned.
            Just a fancy way to connect something to the top of the rip fence... the illustrated use was a tall fence, but you've seen my solution using fence clamps.

This project is just "to see if I can do it" kind of design!

this is half of it
            Click image for larger version

Name:	20230523_184414.jpg
Views:	329
Size:	74.9 KB
ID:	855081
            Loring in Katy, TX USA

Comment

• LCHIEN
              Internet Fact Checker
              • Dec 2002
              • Katy, TX, USA.
              • BT3000 vintage 1999

My DIY Fixture blocks. For attaching things to the rip and miter fence extrusion of the BT3x00 saws,

Looks like they fit and will work.

Can't find my stash of 1/4"-28 set screws to lock them down. Lowes was out, guess I need to go to Ace.

Will post plans and construction article in the Articles section soon.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20230523_184414.jpg Views:	0 Size:	74.9 KB ID:	855083 Click image for larger version  Name:	P5241258.jpg Views:	0 Size:	88.6 KB ID:	855084 Click image for larger version  Name:	P5241259.jpg Views:	0 Size:	78.8 KB ID:	855085 Click image for larger version  Name:	20230524_130410.jpg Views:	0 Size:	171.5 KB ID:	855086 Click image for larger version  Name:	P5241257.jpg Views:	0 Size:	62.6 KB ID:	855087
              Last edited by LCHIEN; 05-24-2023, 01:46 PM.
              Loring in Katy, TX USA

Comment

• Cale Moyer
                Forum Newbie
                • Apr 2023
                • Melbourne Fl
                • BT3000

Very nice, I have been working on a piece with the exact same shape using the aluminum blocks I had laying around. Mine is without the metal faceplates as they are not needed with the solid al block. Slow going though as I am cutting the metal with a jigsaw and fine shaping with a dremel and with a router accessorie and cutter bitss. Hope to finish and get pics sometime this weekend, work is getting in the way of fun.

Comment

• LCHIEN
                  Internet Fact Checker
                  • Dec 2002
                  • Katy, TX, USA.
                  • BT3000 vintage 1999

Here is the link to the article.
                  DIY BT3000 FIXTURE BLOCK for Rip/Miter Fence extrusion Simple shop construction - no machining. This is intended to fit the top T-track on the Rip and miter

Click image for larger version

Name:	P5241261.jpg
Views:	297
Size:	114.2 KB
ID:	855103
                  Last edited by LCHIEN; 05-25-2023, 08:14 AM.
                  Loring in Katy, TX USA

Comment

• nicer20
                    Established Member
                    • Sep 2007
                    • Dublin, CA
                    • BT3100

Nice work Loring - as usual !

One application immediately coming to mind is clamping a feather board along the rip fence to prevent the piece from lifting & also reducing the risk of kickback. Especially useful when ripping long stock when one doesn't have a push stick to hold the stock down. Also when doing any sort of dados & rabbets to put the workpiece down all the time.

Comment

• LCHIEN
                      Internet Fact Checker
                      • Dec 2002
                      • Katy, TX, USA.
                      • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by nicer20
                      Nice work Loring - as usual !

One application immediately coming to mind is clamping a feather board along the rip fence to prevent the piece from lifting & also reducing the risk of kickback. Especially useful when ripping long stock when one doesn't have a push stick to hold the stock down. Also when doing any sort of dados & rabbets to put the workpiece down all the time.
                      Yeah, that's good. I would beware of putting any large upwards forces (like a sprung featherboard) on the rip fence as there's not a lot clamping it down. Its hooked at the back and in the front the lever clamps to the sides of the rail.
                      Loring in Katy, TX USA

Comment

• nicer20
                        nicer20 commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Hmmmm - interesting insight on the clamping aspect. Never thought of the fence having these weaknesses. I have never owned any other table saws so not sure if other systems are stronger than our BT3K style.

• LCHIEN
                        LCHIEN commented
                        Editing a comment
                        At one time there used to be complaints about the front clamp of the rip fence lifting up as it was clamped. I think it came down to people were waxing or siliconing the front rail where the rip fence clamp squeezes the rail top from the sides... if it too slippery then the rip fence block just pops up.
                    • Cale Moyer
                      Forum Newbie
                      • Apr 2023
                      • Melbourne Fl
                      • BT3000

Here is my version, pretty much the same as Loring’s only out of aluminum. Cut the al block down to the full width of the fence with the jigsaw. Cut the “short” side of the step with a dremel wheel but it was very hard to control and there was no way to manage the depth, hence the overcut which is very visible. Went back to the jigsaw with a longer blade to do the the longer side of the step. Had to make 2 passes with the jig due to the inherent angle of the blade. Finished it by drillling the 5/16 (Q bit) mounting hole at the centerline of the gap in top of the fence, then the 2 1/4” face holes (7 bit) and tapping them. Mounts to the fence with a t-nut that is the same as all of the BT3K standard parts.

Comment

• Cale Moyer
                        Forum Newbie
                        • Apr 2023
                        • Melbourne Fl
                        • BT3000

Going forward, I will likely skip adding the step and just use the flat block and the 3 holes. As an aside, I also made a long fence using a 1x4x48 piece of poplar, some 8-32x1 screws and low profile narrow base weld nuts (McMaster Carr 98697A510) that mount it to the face of either the rip or miter fence.

Comment

• nicer20
                          Established Member
                          • Sep 2007
                          • Dublin, CA
                          • BT3100

This long fence is something looking cool.
                          I have built a​ long fence and attached it using the Rockler fence clamps (see attached) but I have always wanted to have a T-track with stop block mounting. Your design seems like addressing these issues.
                          Can you please share some more details & photos? Thanks in advance.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Working...