• Show
Clear All
  • twistsol
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2002
    • Cottage Grove, MN, USA.
    • Ridgid R4512, 2x ShopSmith Mark V 520, 1951 Shopsmith 10ER

Plumbing vent pipes and wind draining traps

Our house is on a bluff above the Mississippi River valley and we frequently get high winds. Today is relatively mild at 25mph. Any time the wind gets to or above 25mph, the water gets sucked out of the traps and toilets on the southwest side of the house. If I remember my physics correctly, the suction is caused by the Bernoulli effect.

Has anyone else encountered this and more importantly, if so, have you found a solution?
    Chr's
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

Either the wind is blowing into the vent stacks ( like a pitot tube) seems more likely - or else the wind blowing over the ends of the open vent tube is causing a suction.

How about venting or shielding them so that the wind does not enter or blow over the vent stacks.

Last edited by LCHIEN; 04-05-2023, 04:51 PM.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Jim Frye
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2002
      • Maumee, OH, USA.
      • Ryobi BT3000 & BT3100

I've had two similar issues with P-traps. At our old house, cold air would sink down the sewer vent and freeze the water in the traps closest to the vent pipe. I cured that one by putting a 180 degree elbow on the top of the roof vent. This allowed warm house air to rise up the pipe and be trapped by the upside down U pipe. The other issue was due to a P-trap drying out some and a strong wind pulled the remaining water out of the trap causing a real stink from the sewer gas leaking out. The errant trap was a little used bathtub in a spare bathroom. Now I make sure the tub gets a rinse out every time the bathroom gets cleaned to keep the P-trap under the tub full.
      Jim Frye
      The Nut in the Cellar.
      ”Sawdust Is Man Glitter”

Comment

Working...