• Show
Clear All
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

What do I do with old incandescents

Cleaning up for some remodeling, I pulled out a box of incandescent bulbs. A lot of slightly used A19s removed from fixtures as I upgraded to LEDs over the years. And a bunch of BR40s for my dozen of so recessed canisters removed and spares I hade bought in bulk because they cast about 5 bucks apiece. And some outdoor floods and a whole bunch of fan/rough service lights for the ceiling fans and appliances.

Trying to think of something to do with these now for several days tripping over the box. But I don't think they will ever go into sockets in the house again.
    Perfectly functional, many new, I thought about donating to charity organizations but I fear donating them will cost the charity more in operation costs than what it costs for them to go out and buy new LEDs. If you calculate it a 100W bulb lasting 800 hours at $.12 per kWh will use $10 of electricity in its life and then need replacing, whereas a $3 LED will last for years and years before using $10 worth of electricity.

Someone suggested heaters for plants during freezes. I'm thinking pellet gun targets.

One day they'll be collectors items.
    Last edited by LCHIEN; 06-02-2022, 10:58 AM.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions
  • dbhost
    Slow and steady
    • Apr 2008
    • League City, Texas
    • Ryobi BT3100

I've replaced all my incadescents, and flourescents as they burnt out. I do have some of the CFLs left over though...
    Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• LCHIEN
      Internet Fact Checker
      • Dec 2002
      • Katy, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 vintage 1999

I hate to throw stuff away that functions.
      Even if its obsolete.
      I've replaced most CFLs, I can't stand those.
      Theres a box of them to toss as well.
      Probably around 75 bulbs altogether.
      Last edited by LCHIEN; 06-02-2022, 11:46 AM.
      Loring in Katy, TX USA
      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.

Comment

• leehljp
        Just me
        • Dec 2002
        • Tunica, MS
        • BT3000/3100

I went to all A19 CFLs in the late spring of 2005 when I lived in Japan and in late July of 2005 back here in the USA for a short while. CFLs here in the USA were primarily the curly ones. In Japan they were curly but inside a normal looking bulb, so they did not detract with their ugliness. One other item that was readily available overseas was the CFL bulb's light color, specifically "daylight". Switching to CFLs cut our late spring, summer and early fall electric bills by 40+% every year.

When I changed our bulbs here in the USA in 2005, when I was home briefly, I had to settle for the curly CFLs (It was difficult to find normal looking bulbs here in CFL), but they too cut our summer electric bills by a similar percentage as in Japan.

IN 2012, after we returned home permanently, I changed the CFLs to LEDs. I enjoyed the somewhat brighter LEDs over the CFLs, but did not see a noticeable decrease in utility bills - as I had when I switched from incandescent to CFLs.

I too have a bunch (new - 16) of incandescents on hand and have not figured out what to do. I know what to do but LOML doesn't like to let go of anything still useable. I don't mind letting go myself. The "still working" incandescent bulbs that came out of the lights when they were replaced with the CFLs went into the trash. Didn't bother me one bit.

One caveat, when the national move to LEDs with notice of potential of banning incandescents came about, I bought three "oven," or high temp bulbs, as I could not get my head around a dependable LED high temp bulb being produced. I have replaced one oven bulb since then and still have two on hand.
        Last edited by leehljp; 06-03-2022, 08:02 AM.
        Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• LCHIEN
          Internet Fact Checker
          • Dec 2002
          • Katy, TX, USA.
          • BT3000 vintage 1999

Posted this on Nextdoor Neighborhood for sale or free and listed them for a price of $0.
          as Energy burning, power wasting Incandescent bulbs, Someone likes them
          Bad for the environment but sometimes you want heat. approx 13 BR40 floods, About 20 Axx (pear shaped) Incandescents of various sizes and wattage. ~15 Fan/rough service/appliance bulbs. All standard screw in Edison Base 120 V. Hate to just toss them

and someone replied in 3 minutes that he wanted them and would pick them up in 2 hours.

Must get his electricity for free.

Someone else called for them too but I said they were already gone.

Last edited by LCHIEN; 06-17-2022, 10:28 PM.
          Loring in Katy, TX USA

Comment

Working...