• Show
Clear All
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

Vanity light bar - how does it mount?

I have three vanity light bars like the picture attached in my master bath. Does anyone know offhand how to release it from the wall? A couple of the light sockets and trim rings have come loose seem its just needs some bending back of tabs on the rear. I don't see any visible fasteners. Is it hung on a cleat and just lifts off?

Click image for larger version  Name:	light bar.jpg Views:	0 Size:	105.0 KB ID:	841667
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions
  • atgcpaul
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2003
    • Maryland
    • Grizzly 1023SLX

Look for screws that run around the perimeter of the frame and if not that, see if those brass collars around the base of each light unscrew and maybe that releases the trim plate from the base underneath
    Last edited by atgcpaul; 12-12-2020, 07:43 PM.

Comment

• LCHIEN
      Internet Fact Checker
      • Dec 2002
      • Katy, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by atgcpaul
      Look for screws that run around the perimeter of the frame and if not that, see if those brass collars around the base of each light unscrew and maybe that releases the trim plate from the base underneath
      Thanks, but There's no screws around the periphery (top, bottom or ends) or the face.. The collars don't unscrew, they twist up the socket and the wire if you try and rotate them They are just held on by, I think metal tabs that are bent outwards. and a couple are loose. Definitely not screwed on.
      Loring in Katy, TX USA
      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.

Comment

• Black walnut
        Administrator
        • Aug 2015
        • BT3K

Does it slide sideways or simply pop off. Pull straight out? Guessing here.
        just another brick in the wall...

Boycott McAfee. They placed an unresponsive popup on my pc.

Comment

• mpc
          • Feb 2005
          • Cypress, CA, USA.
          • BT3000 orig 13amp model

If there are no round button nuts visible (typical light fixture nuts - intended to be tightened/loosened by hand)... I've seen a couple styles similar to your fixture:

1: the brass/bronze/silver/chrome/whatever-the-finish-is sockets for the bulbs may be sleeves that push-fit over the actual bulb socket; these in turn clamp the cover. Typically these sleeves have tangs or other gripper mechanisms so they slide ON easily but won't slide OFF easily - like the barbs on a fishing hook. Other times they screw onto the sockets. If you look closely at your fixture can you tell if the sleeves fit INTO the holes in the cover plate or SIT ON the cover plate? If the fit INTO the holes then this option doesn't apply - the cover plate should be removed with the bulb sockets & sleeves installed.

2: the cover firmly snaps onto the back plate which in turn is screwed to the wall or electrical utility box in the wall. For this style, the bulb sockets/sleeves must fit INTO the holes of the cover plate.

3: the cover and back plate have the equivalent of keyhole sockets; pushing the cover upwards typically releases it. This style is rarely used on fixtures where the bulb assemblies poke through the cover plate however - which is what your fixture seems to be. For this style, the bulb sockets/sleeves must fit INTO the holes of the cover plate.

Any idea of the brand? An option is to browse the Home Depot, Lowes, or a lighting company web sites; many of their lighting fixture pages include installation or assembly links to PDF files. They may give you hints... though many are poorly written or a very generic.

mpc

Comment

• leehljp
            Just me
            • Dec 2002
            • Tunica, MS
            • BT3000/3100

I replaced one about 7-8 years ago and it was like # 2 on MPC's list - IIRC.
            Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• atgcpaul
              Veteran Member
              • Aug 2003
              • Maryland
              • Grizzly 1023SLX

Are you going to reuse this fixture or is it being recycled/replaced? If the latter and since there are no perimeter screws and the collars don't seem to twist off, then I'd get a flat screwdriver or putty knife, and jam it between the face plate and what seems like the outer trim to pop off the cover.

Comment

• LCHIEN
                Internet Fact Checker
                • Dec 2002
                • Katy, TX, USA.
                • BT3000 vintage 1999

Its a bit of a pain because of course its up high and I can't take it down to examine and when I try and get close the bathroom counter/vanity get in the way.
                I think upon closer examination that MPCs description #1 is right, each socket has a brass plated trim ring that slides over the light socket with the equivalent of barbs.

I can wiggle the brass faceplate and it appears to be floating but captured. by all 8 trim rings. The problem is that one electrical socket and trim ring is basically hanging loose by the wires - so whatever captured it to the main bracket behind the faceplate is come unscrewed. But there is no way to refasten it without removing the brass faceplate. Which means I have to take off all eight "barbed" trim rings to fix the dangling socket.
                Loring in Katy, TX USA

Comment

• kramer katt
                  kramer katt commented
                  Editing a comment
                  You may have to get at the screws holding the two wires to the dangling socket to get it out of the way with everything up on the wall. Then you can pull the rest of the rings off as normally intended. Then you can work on the light down on a reasonable surface.

And for general public benefit since Loring knows this, Before anything get an outside source of light set up and shut off breaker to bathroom circuits first.
                  Last edited by kramer katt; 12-14-2020, 03:12 PM.
              Working...