• Show
Clear All
  • twistsol
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2002
    • Cottage Grove, MN, USA.
    • Ridgid R4512, 2x ShopSmith Mark V 520, 1951 Shopsmith 10ER

Another post about posts

In our kitchen there are a couple of posts, one serves no purpose but to balance the other visually, the second is where the wiring goes for the island. I'd have run the wiring up from the floor below but that would have required tearing down the ceiling in the family room below for the 4th time since we bought the house and SWMBO was having none of that.

Click image for larger version  Name:	post_problem.jpg Views:	0 Size:	270.1 KB ID:	836730
    The first post wrap I made was shaker panels with a black walnut panel which was vetoed ... she wanted painted posts so MDF and Sandeply it is. The first and second versions are shown below

Click image for larger version  Name:	post_solution 1-2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	85.4 KB ID:	836731

Side note: Having never worked with MDF for anything but jigs I was surprised at how well it machines and sands. I could barely even see the joint let alone feel it after a bit of ight sanding.

Click image for larger version  Name:	post_sanding.jpg Views:	0 Size:	139.1 KB ID:	836732

After leveling, plumbing, and securing the short side to the post. I glued on the front and back and the filler strips below the shelf. I ran a tounge on the sides of the posts and a groove on the font and back.

Click image for larger version  Name:	post_install1.jpg Views:	0 Size:	114.7 KB ID:	836733

I secured everything from the inside with blocks and glued in the last panel

Click image for larger version  Name:	post_install2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	95.7 KB ID:	836734

After some final sanding and painting, the final result is below.

Click image for larger version  Name:	post_final1.jpg Views:	0 Size:	277.8 KB ID:	836735

Click image for larger version  Name:	post_final2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	75.7 KB ID:	836736

The cabinet doors and drawers and toe kicks are next up follwed by wine rack over the fridge and crown moulding on the cabinets and then after nearly 3 years, the kitchen is complete You might also notice the cabinet appeared mext to the fridge magically during this project.
    Last edited by twistsol; 05-27-2019, 08:48 AM.
    Chr's
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2003
    • Maryland
    • Grizzly 1023SLX

Nice job. I like projects like this--working around a problem I didn't create.

Comment

• capncarl
      Veteran Member
      • Jan 2007
      • Leesburg Georgia USA
      • SawStop CTS

Looks like a great place to use some concealed storage. The column would make a nice hidden long gun or pistol cabinet. Maybe a hidden cabinet for the security system? A hidden safe for cash or jewelry?

Comment

• jabe
        • Apr 2006
        • Hilo, Hawaii
        • Ryobi BT3000 & Delta Milwaukee 10" tilting Table circular saw

looks GREAT!!! What color & brand paint did you use?

Comment

• twistsol
          Veteran Member
          • Dec 2002
          • Cottage Grove, MN, USA.
          • Ridgid R4512, 2x ShopSmith Mark V 520, 1951 Shopsmith 10ER

Originally posted by jabe
          looks GREAT!!! What color & brand paint did you use?
          Paint is Valspar Medallion since that's what our building supply place in our town carries.

Gray is #7659 GRIS
          Blue is #6797 Jay Blue
          Chr's

Comment

Working...