• Show
Clear All
  • twistsol
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2002
    • Cottage Grove, MN, USA.
    • Ridgid R4512, 2x ShopSmith Mark V 520, 1951 Shopsmith 10ER

A post about posts

The posts below our deck were just plain preasure treated green 6x6 posts, one of which had been chewed on by the previous owner’s dog. A few years ago to make them look a little better we added bricks to the bases and painted them. Last weekend I finally got back to it and wrapped the posts in rough cedar, added some trim and SWMBO painted them. I used some old brick moulding from the shop and treated 2x4s for the baseUnfortunately, it highlights how bad the rest of the deck looks.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1723.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	103.8 KB
ID:	836644Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1725.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	469.1 KB
ID:	836645
    Chr's
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2007
    • Leesburg Georgia USA
    • SawStop CTS

Is this a dry deck below?

Comment

• capncarl
      Veteran Member
      • Jan 2007
      • Leesburg Georgia USA
      • SawStop CTS

I see you didn’t allow much of the column pediment to stick out past the beam. I have a problem with birds, mostly barn swallows building nests on top of column pediments that stick out 2-3”” past the beams. Some houses in our area also have pediments above the windows, and they are bird magnets. What a nasty mess they create.

Comment

• Slik Geek
        • Dec 2006
        • Lake County, Illinois
        • Ryobi BT-3000

I like the look with the brick base. Never thought of that before. It looks good! Nice work.
        That is one wide beam. Are the beams resting on a notch in the posts? It is hard to see in the photo if they are bolted only, or resting in notches and bolted.

Comment

• twistsol
          Veteran Member
          • Dec 2002

Originally posted by capncarl
          I see you didn’t allow much of the column pediment to stick out past the beam. I have a problem with birds, mostly barn swallows building nests on top of column pediments that stick out 2-3”” past the beams. Some houses in our area also have pediments above the windows, and they are bird magnets. What a nasty mess they create.
          The deck is dry below today. There is a 6' overhang on the deck above so you can stay close to the house and be dry but otherwise, you're open to the elements. We don't have issues with birds building anywhere that the squirrels could get at the nests and with 30+ black walnut trees, we have an abundance of squirrels. the ledge ag the top is only and inch and three quarters so I doubt we'll have an issue with birds. That said, there are bats that hang out there from time to time, but they use it as a flow house. Their permanent residence is in the many bat houses we have in the woods.
          Chr's

Comment

• twistsol
            Veteran Member
            • Dec 2002

Originally posted by Slik Geek
            I like the look with the brick base. Never thought of that before. It looks good! Nice work.
            That is one wide beam. Are the beams resting on a notch in the posts? It is hard to see in the photo if they are bolted only, or resting in notches and bolted.
            The beam is really just a pair of 2x10s with carriage bolts through the 6x6 posts. No notches. The structure is rock solid but the surface needs to be replaced as it takes pounding on the south side of the house.
            Chr's

Comment

Working...