• Show
Clear All
  • leehljp
    Just me
    • Dec 2002
    • Tunica, MS
    • BT3000/3100

Another use for Spindle Sanders!

New use for Oscilating Spindle Sander: Sharpening fingernail clippers.

When I lived in Japan, we had no problem with buying good and sharp fingernail clippers. I brought a few pair back with us. However, like small pocket knives, they have a way of disappearing. Just when I need some while on a trip, I pick some up at Walmart or other and the cheaper American kinds such as Revlon just are not sharp. Once in a blue moon, I would find a good pair. I ended up ordering three pair from Amazon last year and they too, went into hiding.

I found 5 pair today and they were not sharp as compared to the $15 - $20 ones that I ordered from Amazon last year, nor as sharp as what I used to get in Japan. So I decided to sharpen them.

The curve on the fingernail clippers matched the 1 1/2 inch spindle sleeve, so I set my spindle grinder up and in about 5 minutes, I had some sharp fingernail clippers again, including the Revlon clipper that I despised.

It takes a steady hand and firm grip, but it works. I didn’t hone them but they could use honing. I didn’t have time to get my belt sander with the leather belt out. Will try that next time - in two or three years.
    Last edited by leehljp; 02-10-2018, 07:20 PM.
    Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!
  • Black walnut
    Administrator
    • Aug 2015
    • BT3K

Great idea Hank!
    just another brick in the wall...

Boycott McAfee. They placed an unresponsive popup on my pc.

Comment

• organicot
      Forum Newbie
      • Feb 2018

OMG, totally agree with the quality of Japanese clippers and have had equal struggle. I dont have this spindle but will keep in mind as a benefit for future purchase

Comment

Working...