• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JimD
    Veteran Member
    • Feb 2003
    • Lexington, SC.

ceiling paint and garage door openers

I've spent the last few weeks fighting with a garage door opener and finishing the walls and ceiling of my shop garage. The garage door opener thought it didn't want to open the door. So I tried reprogramming if for more force. That led to it slamming the door all the way up to the end of travel and continuing to turn. I unplugged it but not before the damage was done. So a new carriage. But I was lazy and didn't go look, I just bought one that said it fit all Genie screw drives. It didn't. So another week (big box stores don't have much around here) and one arrived that fit. But installing it meant taking the garage door down entirely. It was quite involved but it got installed. But the garage door still wouldn't work because Genie decide a plastic coupler was better than an overload trip. I didn't realize that so it was wait another week but I found a cheaper place for parts, Preferred door parts. They had the couplers for about $2.50 when everybody else wanted about $7.50. So when that arrived, I got it running. But I put it back together wrong so I had to take it down, again, and redo things. But that time I got it right and I could program it. But it still wouldn't work because one of the "eyes" that look across the opening was not working right. I could get that locally but it was almost double what I could get it for over the internet (Preferred was out of stock or their price was less than half the big box stores). So another week. Installation was simple but programming was not. But it works now. I spent roughly $50 in parts to fix a garage door opener I paid about $175 for about 2 years ago. If it breaks again it is probably going out with the trash. Some of the difficulty was me ordering the wrong part but a lot was a lousy design and overpriced parts. A champerlian chain drive may be worse but at least it cheaper. Reviews, which I didn't check, indicate lots of other people have bad luck with Genie screw drives and better luck with Chamberlain chain drives. One of the big box stores had the basic model for $75 on a markdown.

After messing with the garage door opener each weekend, I would shift to the shop garage. I got all the waferboard up on the walls, skim coated with drywall compound, and painted with ceiling paint. I also put insulation in the walls. I still need to build storage cabinets and a rolling workbench but I passed a major milestone. Along the way, I've decided that my wife is right and Zinseer ceiling paint is the one to use. I haven't used a bunch of brands but we bought two gallons of Valspar's best ceiling paint that we didn't use in the house in favor of the Zinseer. I hate throwing things away so I decided to use it in the shop. It did most of the shop walls and ceiling but didn't quite finish. We've been using the Zinseer so I got that to finish with so the extra would be useful. I was surprised how much better it was than the Valspar. It covered better and went on easier. I used the same little 4 inch foam roller with both so there was no difference there and the surface was also the same. It's good ceiling paint/primer. A little hard to find here but worth looking. About the same price as other paint/primer. One coat usually does it.

That's it, just some rambling about paint and garage door openers.
  • dbhost
    Slow and steady
    • Apr 2008
    • League City, Texas
    • Ryobi BT3100

Eh. For what it's worth, to me garage door openers aren't worth it. I ripped mine out. Gives me more room on the ceiling for things like hanging ladders, shop lights, hanging air cleaner etc...
    Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• JimD
      Veteran Member
      • Feb 2003
      • Lexington, SC.

When I had my shop garage added, I had to argue long and hard with the contractor not to have an opener and for him to put a lock on the garage door. New garage doors don't come with locks any more. They assume everybody will install an opener. My point is that the last thing I need when using power tools is somebody firing up the garage door opener. Two houses ago, my late wife did it regularly. I never got hurt but it was unnerving.

But the garage that the opener is on is only for storage of cars and other stuff. Its nice to push the button and have the door open, especially when it is raining.

Comment

• capncarl
        Veteran Member
        • Jan 2007
        • Leesburg Georgia USA
        • SawStop CTS

At the time that we built our house and my shop I decided to have the same opener installed in my shop. This was for my convenience but it was primarilary to have a working spare opener on hand for the 2 house garage doors. I have had to swap them out several times in the last 5 years and was glad that the spare unit on hand and I didn't have to immediately order parts. I always leave the shop opener powered off unless I need to open the door.

Comment

• radhak
          Veteran Member
          • Apr 2006
          • Miramar, FL
          • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

Whoa Jim, that's a lot of work for an opener! I wimped out and paid somebody to fully replace my opener, carriage et al. Material and labor cost me about $200.

DB, when you say you don't have an opener, how do you open and close the garage door? Do you have a pully system?
          It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
          - Aristotle

Comment

• JimD
            Veteran Member
            • Feb 2003
            • Lexington, SC.

My opener is broken again. We got water in the garage again due to a heavy rain and possibly the construction down the street pouring more water into the street where it goes down my drive. That seems to have gotten the same "eye" sensor that looks across the opening. I'm moving them up. I will work on drainage for the driveway too but I have to stop working on this stupid garage door opener every weekend.

A door without an opener still has the track and springs, everything necessary to open it. The only thing missing is a lock. The opener takes care of that, kind of. A lock costs a few dollars.

Comment

• capncarl
              Veteran Member
              • Jan 2007
              • Leesburg Georgia USA
              • SawStop CTS

JimD, I put the garage door locks that they sell at Lowes and HD on my garage doors for added security when I am out of town. I lock and padlock them. ( I also love the remote in the house to keep the following from happening) They work well, so well that when I accidentally powered up my shop door and opened it with the lock still on, it snatched the operator drive attachment arm to the door out by the roots. Obviously I don't have the torque cut out set right.

Comment

• Carpenter96
                Established Member
                • Aug 2011
                • Barrie ON Canada
                • BT 3000

We were told that we could put an opener in because of a beam that runs across the garage. We did some research and found one that operates on the shaft and it works great. It is more expensive than the overhead type but it is in a corner out of the way.

Regards Bob

Comment

Working...