• Show
Clear All
  • atgcpaul
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2003
    • Maryland
    • Grizzly 1023SLX

JB Weld saves the day!

I had to reduce the height of a kitchen soffit to install some new cabinets I built. I carefully removed the soffit with crown molding attached and cut it shorter with my circular saw. I attached new nailers to the back of the soffit board and began to screw them into the ceiling joists. All the previous nails were at 16" on center so I used those spots.

Well, I needed to adjust the position of the longer piece so I unscrewed it when water starts to trickle down the screw. I bolted grabbed a bowl and bolted for the basement to shut the water off and then I turned on a faucet to drain the system. Then I ran to the garage for my drywall saw.

The water was a little stinky but not sewage bad so I was pretty sure I didn't hit a supply pipe. When I opened up the ceiling (mind you, my other approach was to cut the soffit in place with my saw, but the approach I was taking was going to be so much neater), I saw that I had drilled into the P-trap of our master tub--which we hardly ever use. The joists were 16" on center except in this spot. I guess the finish carpenters nailed into drywall. The plumbing was also weird. It looked like 2 P-traps. I'll have to take a picture.

Anyway, drove to HD and got some JB Weld for PVC. Worked like a charm. The day was downhill from there.

Paul
  • dbhost
    Slow and steady
    • Apr 2008
    • League City, Texas
    • Ryobi BT3100

So your tub is directly over the soffit? Whodathunkit...
    Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• atgcpaul
      Veteran Member
      • Aug 2003
      • Maryland
      • Grizzly 1023SLX

Maybe this is common practice, I don't know, but seems strange to me. Pipe indicated by the arrow is the tub drain. They ran it to the right, then down into the trap and then back to the left towards the exterior wall of the house. This would put it in line with the toilet. Why didn't they just go straight down into the trap? There is no joist in that area to prevent them.

Anyway, the circled area is the patch. Sorry, this tablet takes horrible flash pictures.

Comment

• BigguyZ
        Veteran Member
        • Jul 2006
        • Minneapolis, MN
        • Craftsman, older type w/ cast iron top

That's fine, but is there a vent for the tub? I don't see where the vent/ overflow would be coming from....

Comment

• lrr
          Established Member
          • Apr 2006
          • Fort Collins, Colorado
          • Ryobi BT-3100

I didn't realize that JB Weld had a product for PVC. I've used the standard stuff numerous times and it is an amazing product. It is expensive, but most uses for me is just a small amount. My last usage was a little different. We have a small parrot and I built him a play stand / perch out of PVC pipe, connectors, and wooden perches that he can sit at when we are in the family room (he yells at us if he is in his cage and we are home!).

On the top, I added connectors open-ended to allow small porcelain food/water dishes to be placed on the perch. But I needed them easily removable. I used JB Weld to epoxy PVC pipe plugs onto the bottom of the dishes, so they could be inserted into and removed from the connectors. I've even run them thru the dishwasher, and the fittings are still holding tight to the porcelain.
          Lee

Comment

Working...