Pulling telephone line through an insulated wall...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dbhost
    Slow and steady
    • Apr 2008
    • League City, Texas
    • Ryobi BT3100

Pulling telephone line through an insulated wall...

Okay guys this one I think I am on the right track, but I wanted to see if anyone had any better ideas...

My existing 2 pair telephone station wire in the house is no good. I want to replace the telephone system which I haven't used in 8 years, with a whole house distributed VoIP setup. I have the VoIP working, just need to distribute it...

I have the distribution hub, plenty of Category 5e cable, plenty of RJ11 keystones, and the following rooms are wired so far...

Front bedroom.
    Guest Room
    Home Office
    Kitchen.

I have not yet done the shop, although I will.. But the big problem is...

Master bedroom...

I want the phone jack on the exterior wall, along with a category 6 ethernet cable, so that I can have telephone and data cables behind LOMLs night stand. I had originally planned on just using the existing station wire and back pulling the new cable but I ran into a problem...

The rocket scientists that ran this cable stapled it to the studs, AND they enclosed the low voltage cable / connection in a standard box. So effectively the cable is trapped. I need to simply block this off, and add a new wall plate / drop.

This is where it gets interesting. The cabling needs to go through an insulated wall cavity.

I have found a tool that will do the job of fishing through called a "Magnapull", but honestly it is spendy, and I won't use it often. It looks like a steel plumb bob, and a magnetic roller on a handle. I am thinking a cheap steel plumb bob and a strong magnet should do the same thing, but just HOW strong of a magnet do I need to do this?

I will be needing to make a magnetic attachment through 5/8" drywall, and most likely the paper and at most 1/4" of insulation.

Has anyone cobbled together a magnetic pull sort of arrangement on the cheap? If so what did you use?
    Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.
  • frumper64
    Established Member
    • Feb 2004
    • Garland, Tx, USA.

Never tried it, but have you checked around to see if you can rent the magic tool?
    Jim
    64sedan_at_gmail.com

Comment

• LCHIEN
      Internet Fact Checker
      • Dec 2002
      • Katy, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 vintage 1999

I have only one word: DECT-6.0. OK, well, its a Acronym and a number.

Aren't phone wires obsolete? Get a multivendor wireless multistation phone system with intercompatibility and solid wireless performance.
      Loring in Katy, TX USA
      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
      BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• JoeyGee
        Veteran Member
        • Nov 2005
        • Sylvania, OH, USA.
        • BT3100-1

Just my two cents... Wires are going to be a thing of the past soon enough. I wouldn't bother.

I am not saying this is you, but I used to have "tech up" everything in my house just because I could and then either never use it or just spend too much time fussing with it.
        Joe

Comment

• All Thumbs
          Established Member
          • Oct 2009
          • Penn Hills, PA
          • BT3K/Saw-Stop

Originally posted by JoeyGee
          Just my two cents... Wires are going to be a thing of the past soon enough. I wouldn't bother.
          LOL, there is no substitute for copper, it isn't going anywhere for a long time.

To the OP, how about just a regular electrician's steel fish? It will pull through an insulated cavity no problem, just have to be careful not to snag too much fiberglass. Tape the splice well and pull slowly.

Sometimes I just use a straightened coat hanger.

In a pinch I've used a piece of 10-gauge solid copper wire.

Comment

• LCHIEN
            Internet Fact Checker
            • Dec 2002
            • Katy, TX, USA.
            • BT3000 vintage 1999

OTOH, maybe you're worried about the gov't listening... OK that's a joke not a political comment.
            Last edited by LCHIEN; 07-01-2013, 10:44 PM.
            Loring in Katy, TX USA
            If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.

Comment

• vaking
              Veteran Member
              • Apr 2005
              • Montclair, NJ, USA.
              • Ryobi BT3100-1

I am with Loring.
              I have a house with 2 floors plus basement. On every level there is one wired jack. Second floor and basement - I have an old fashioned phone plugged into wired jacks - this is for backup. In case power goes out - wired jacks will still work as long as you use plain old phones that don't have power cords. On the first floor I have a base of a multi-phone system plugged into the jack. Cordless phones then need only electrical outlets for chargers. If you are installing VOIP - your system will likely not work without power anyway, so you don't even need to worry about backup.
              Alex V

Comment

• LCHIEN
                Internet Fact Checker
                • Dec 2002
                • Katy, TX, USA.
                • BT3000 vintage 1999

If you must have a phone when power is out, with the DECT 6.0 phones you could buy a small UPS for the base station. An APC 250W unit costs $58 at Newegg.
                Runs 9.5 mins at 128W load. My phone base says it takes 3.6W at 6V from a wall wart. assume that the Wall wart requires 6W from the AC line. Extrapolating 9 minutes at 128 W it could run up to 20 times as long at 6W. So somewhere around 3 hours is possible THe other stations have batteries in the phone so they don't need any backup and they'll work as long as their batteries hold out. The handset at the base station, of course will be charged from the UPS so it will last as long as the UPS if kept on the base station when not in actual use.
                Loring in Katy, TX USA

Comment

• cabinetman
                  Gone but not Forgotten RIP
                  • Jun 2006
                  • So. Florida
                  • Delta

Originally posted by LCHIEN
                  I have only one word: DECT-6.0. OK, well, its a Acronym and a number.

Aren't phone wires obsolete? Get a multivendor wireless multistation phone system with intercompatibility and solid wireless performance.
                  Even old phone wires aren't obsolete. We have Uverse, which uses just the old incoming phone line for Internet, phone, and TV.

Comment

• bmyers
                    Veteran Member
                    • Jun 2003
                    • Fishkill, NY
                    • bt 3100

Have you tried something like this?

http://www.harborfreight.com/3-16-in...kit-65326.html

LOML demanded and old fashion push button phone in the kitchen. No wireless, no batteries, always in the same spot, never lost. This is what I used to get the wire there.

B
                    "Why are there Braille codes on drive-up ATM machines?"

Comment

• cabinetman
                      • Jun 2006
                      • So. Florida
                      • Delta

Originally posted by All Thumbs
                      LOL, there is no substitute for copper, it isn't going anywhere for a long time.

To the OP, how about just a regular electrician's steel fish? It will pull through an insulated cavity no problem, just have to be careful not to snag too much fiberglass. Tape the splice well and pull slowly.

Sometimes I just use a straightened coat hanger.

In a pinch I've used a piece of 10-gauge solid copper wire.
                      I've used those items and if careful work well.

Comment

• woodturner
                        Veteran Member
                        • Jun 2008
                        • Western Pennsylvania
                        • General, Sears 21829, BT3100

Originally posted by bmyers
                        I have not used the HF version, but the fiberglass pull rods work GREAT - and the "glow in the dark" versions are even better. There is nothing really "special" about them, so the HF versions should be just fine and it costs less for the full kit than most brands charge for a single 6' rod. I would have bought a set there if I knew they had them, thanks for the link!

Another option if it is a "straight shot" is to work a piece of PVC conduit down through the insulation, pull the wire through the conduit, then remove the conduit (if desired).

In response to the OPs specific question, a more powerful magnet is probably better. HF sells several options - I would not use the magnetic welding ground, the magnet it too weak, but the pickup magnets like this or this should be fine.
                        --------------------------------------------------
                        Electrical Engineer by day, Woodworker by night

Comment

• JSUPreston
                          Veteran Member
                          • Dec 2005
                          • Montgomery, AL.
                          • Delta 36-979 w/Biesemyere fence kit making it a 36-982. Previous saw was BT3100-1.

I've used my flex bit, electrical tape, and string to pull through wall cavities.
                          "It's a dog eat dog world out there, and I'm wearing Milk-Bone underwear."- Norm (from Cheers)

Eat beef-because the west wasn't won on salad.

Comment

• cabinetman
                            • Jun 2006
                            • So. Florida
                            • Delta

Originally posted by bmyers

http://www.harborfreight.com/3-16-in...kit-65326.html

LOML demanded and old fashion push button phone in the kitchen. No wireless, no batteries, always in the same spot, never lost. This is what I used to get the wire there.

B
                            I like that idea. Should work real well.

Comment

• LinuxRandal
                              Veteran Member
                              • Feb 2005
                              • Independence, MO, USA.
                              • bt3100

Originally posted by dbhost
                              The rocket scientists that ran this cable stapled it to the studs, AND they enclosed the low voltage cable / connection in a standard box. So effectively the cable is trapped. I need to simply block this off, and add a new wall plate / drop.

Rocket scientists? Sounds like they installed it to code.

Does it go up (to the attic) or down to the basement? Sounds to me like it might be worthwhile to cut a small (from half over the stud to have over the stud) section of the drywall out. (then use the same box)
                              She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

Working...