• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ivwshane
    Established Member
    • Dec 2003
    • Sacramento CA

Proper wiring of middle run duplex recpt with 3rd cable

What's the best way to wire this (either required for code or most efficient but still meets code)?

I have three cables (2 wire nm) going into a box, one "in" and two "outs" (nothing is on a switch).
    Can I pig tail everything and just have one wire (1 black, 1 white, 1 ground) go to the receptacle or should I have the "in" wired to the receptacle and have the two "outs" pigtailed and then connected to the receptacle?
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

too many wires in that box. The proper way to run that is to run one in and only one out wire to each box and daisy chain them.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Tom Slick
      Veteran Member
      • May 2005
      • Paso Robles, Calif, USA.
      • sears BT3 clone

Is it an existing box or something you are installing?
      Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Comment

• ivwshane
        Established Member
        • Dec 2003
        • Sacramento CA

Originally posted by Tom Slick
        Is it an existing box or something you are installing?
        It's a combination of both. The box was existing but I needed another box above it (there was already one to the right of it).

too many wires in that box. The proper way to run that is to run one in and only one out wire to each box and daisy chain them.
        Really? I've seen a lot of examples of three cables in a single box (the box I'm using is 20.25cu in).

Comment

• LCHIEN
          Internet Fact Checker
          • Dec 2002
          • Katy, TX, USA.
          • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by ivwshane
          It's a combination of both. The box was existing but I needed another box above it (there was already one to the right of it).

Really? I've seen a lot of examples of three cables in a single box (the box I'm using is 20.25cu in).

maybe not a code thing, but its a lot easier to find two spots on the outlet to wire to than three, and the wired outlet will be a lot easier to stuff back into the box with two wires attached instead of three, esp. if you are using 12/3 ga solid.
          Loring in Katy, TX USA
          If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
          BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• BigguyZ
            Veteran Member
            • Jul 2006
            • Minneapolis, MN
            • Craftsman, older type w/ cast iron top

I'd personally say that 3 lines is fine in the box. As long as you have a bod that can accomodate them (some are deeper than others).

I'd pigtail them all and have a wire going out to your outlet.

I'm not an electrician, but I've played one at home and that's how I'd do it.

Comment

Working...