• Show
Clear All
  • Richard in Smithville
    Veteran Member
    • Oct 2006
    • On the TARDIS
    • BT 3100

Sinking Patio

My patio in the back of my house is a 20x10 solid concrete slab. The slab is sinking along the length closest to the house. To add complications, my furnace, which is an outside combination unit, also sits on this pad. Is there some way to stop the pad from sinking with out the extra work and expense of removing the furnace and then putting it back again?
    From the "deep south" part of Canada

Richard in Smithville

http://richardspensandthings.blogspot.com/
  • gjat
    • Nov 2005
    • Valrico (Tampa), Florida.
    • BT3100

Check out 'pressure grouting'. Basically a company can come out and pump concrete (without large aggregate its grout) under pressure and can lift the slab. I have no idea what it would cost to lift a slab, or if it's too minor a job for them. Here in florida, it's used alot to stablize some types of structures in various soil conditions.

Comment

• JoeyGee
      Veteran Member
      • Nov 2005
      • Sylvania, OH, USA.
      • BT3100-1

Originally posted by gjat
      Check out 'pressure grouting'. Basically a company can come out and pump concrete (without large aggregate its grout) under pressure and can lift the slab. I have no idea what it would cost to lift a slab, or if it's too minor a job for them. Here in florida, it's used alot to stablize some types of structures in various soil conditions.
      Is that also referred to as "mud jacking"? I think I saw that on Ask This Old House once.
      Joe

Comment

• twistsol
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2002
        • Cottage Grove, MN, USA.
        • Ridgid R4512, 2x ShopSmith Mark V 520, 1951 Shopsmith 10ER

There is mud jacking, sand jacking and the concrete jacking mentioned above. They are pretty much the same other than what is pumped in under the concrete.

It isn't cheap and costs about half of what replacing the slap would. After we got quotes, we chopped up the concrete and put in a wood deck.
        Chr's

Comment

• LCHIEN
          Internet Fact Checker
          • Dec 2002
          • Katy, TX, USA.
          • BT3000 vintage 1999

if your patio is sinking right next to the house then i'd be more worried about the house than the patio!
          Loring in Katy, TX USA
          If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
          BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• woodturner
            Veteran Member
            • Jun 2008
            • Western Pennsylvania
            • General, Sears 21829, BT3100

Originally posted by twistsol
            It isn't cheap and costs about half of what replacing the slap would.
            My guess is that prices vary widely, and probably by region as well.

For my foundation repair, the mudjacking option was the cheapest option by far at $1500. However, that is mudjacking a footer, not a slab. To mudjack a 10 x 20 slab in this area costs around $500, while replacement of the slab would be more like $2000.

One of the surprises in getting estimates for my foundation repair was the wide range of estimates for the same work. I'd get five or six estimates for the mudjacking before deciding - finding the right contractor may be the key to making this approach economically viable.
            --------------------------------------------------
            Electrical Engineer by day, Woodworker by night

Comment

• gjat
              • Nov 2005
              • Valrico (Tampa), Florida.
              • BT3100

I've never heard it called anything but pressure grouting. My experience is using it to stabalize roads or traffic signal poles. I would expect a grand as a basic price, but again, I am only familiar with larger scopes.

Comment

• Richard in Smithville
                Veteran Member
                • Oct 2006
                • On the TARDIS
                • BT 3100

That helps a lot guys. Thanks for the the info.
                From the "deep south" part of Canada

Richard in Smithville

http://richardspensandthings.blogspot.com/

Comment

Working...