Clear All
  • SHADOWFOX
    Veteran Member
    • May 2005
    • IL, USA.
    • DELTA 36-675

Replacing a wired doorbell key

Folks,

This might sound like a stupid question but our doorbell key (transparent plastic part that is pressed) by the front door broke and I went to Home Depot to get a cheapo replacement ($3.00) and my question is do I have to turn off the power before replacing this or can I just replace it without turning the power. Have not replaced one of these before and did not want to have to switch to a wireless unit.

Thanks!
    Chris

"The first key to wisdom is constant and frequent questioning, for by doubting we are led to question and by questioning we arrive at the truth." -Pierre Abelard 11th Century philosopher.
  • LinuxRandal
    Veteran Member
    • Feb 2005
    • Independence, MO, USA.
    • bt3100

I replaced one years ago, and I didn't shut off the power. I just transfered one line at a time and didn't let them touch. I don't remember the voltage, but I know it has a stepdown transformer (my belief is 12v).
    She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• cabinetman
      Gone but not Forgotten RIP
      • Jun 2006
      • So. Florida
      • Delta

I've changed those and mine were low voltage (transformer), and didn't shut off the power. I'm not saying don't shut off the power. I've always done crazy things.

Comment

• BobSch
        • Aug 2004
        • Minneapolis, MN, USA.
        • BT3100

Doorbells run on 12v or less. No need to turn off the power. Just don't cross the wires too often while changing the button. It'll drive the dog nuts!
        Bob

Bad decisions make good stories.

Comment

• SHADOWFOX
          Veteran Member
          • May 2005
          • IL, USA.
          • DELTA 36-675

Thanks guys!

I'll get on it when I get home from work tonight. Wife has been getting on me for over a week now. She has some people coming over this weekend so she won't let up on it.

Kind regards!
          Chris

"The first key to wisdom is constant and frequent questioning, for by doubting we are led to question and by questioning we arrive at the truth." -Pierre Abelard 11th Century philosopher.

Comment

• phi1l
            • Oct 2009
            • Madison, WI

everyone is right, you don't have to turn off the electricity, .. but I wouldn't touch both wires with my tongue either

Mine checks out to 18V though..
            Last edited by phi1l; 03-18-2010, 05:42 PM.

Comment

• LCHIEN
              Internet Fact Checker
              • Dec 2002
              • Katy, TX, USA.
              • BT3000 vintage 1999

looking at the web on doorbell voltages is very confusing. I recall 24 volts.
              Web references mentioned voltages from 6 to 24. One reference said 10 for buzzers and bells and 16 for chimes.

ANyway, its AC, not DC.

You can safely handle all the voltages i mentioned w/o danger.
              Just don't short them out or you could damage the transformer.
              Loring in Katy, TX USA
              If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
              BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• eezlock
                • Feb 2006
                • Charlotte,N.C.
                • BT3100

replacing a wired doorbell key?

I never heard it called a "key" before...but I'm assuming you are talking about
                the pushbutton...correct? No problem, they are are wired on 12/24 volt transformers. Don't let the wires touch each other, if you do, the indoor chime will sound off same as if the button has been pushed.

Comment

• phi1l
                  • Oct 2009
                  • Madison, WI

Originally posted by LCHIEN
                  looking at the web on doorbell voltages is very confusing. I recall 24 volts.
                  Web references mentioned voltages from 6 to 24. One reference said 10 for buzzers and bells and 16 for chimes.

Here the door bell uses the same transformer as the furnace controls, soI think the over riding consideration is what the relays require to operate.

Comment

• billwmeyer
                    Veteran Member
                    • Feb 2003
                    • Weir, Ks, USA.
                    • BT3000

Originally posted by SHADOWFOX
                    Thanks guys!

I'll get on it when I get home from work tonight. Wife has been getting on me for over a week now. She has some people coming over this weekend so she won't let up on it.

Kind regards!
                    In that case change the button when she is home and cross the wires alot!

Bill
                    "I just dropped in to see what condition my condition was in."-Kenny Rogers

Comment

• eccentrictinkerer
                      • Aug 2007
                      • Minneapolis, MN
                      • BT-3000, 21829

I've received a 'tickle' from a 24 VAC circuit, but I was sweating on a 90 degree day.

I've also felt a tingle from a 12 volt battery!

I was wearing shorts, the temp was in the high 80's and I was working on my '64 Corvair convertible. As I leaned against the chrome bumper and started wrenching the the bolt on the positive terminal I definitely felt a slight shock.

I've been in the electronics biz my whole life and never thought this could happen.

Maybe I should gone into railroading. I'd have made a great 'conductor'!
                      You might think I haven't contributed much to the world, but a large number
                      of the warning labels on tools can be traced back to things I've done...

Comment

Working...