• Show
Clear All
  • cabinetman
    Gone but not Forgotten RIP
    • Jun 2006
    • So. Florida
    • Delta

Need A Front Loader

This weekend, LOML and I are headed out and will return with a front loader clothes washer. We've been putting it off long enough. Our top loader has been making a racket. Any suggestions on which one to get?
  • mineengineer
    Established Member
    • Feb 2005
    • Pittsburgh, PA, USA.
    • BT3000 and BT3100 Frankensaw

might want to add washer to title

when I saw the post I thought you were refering to one of these,

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Fi...l-loader02.jpg

been working in the mines to long I guess,
    Link

Comment

• Mr__Bill
      Veteran Member
      • May 2007
      • Tacoma, WA
      • BT3000

We bought a Frigidaire, the basic one with knobs and no digital readouts or touch pad things. Ours is the smaller capacity one too. We got it on sale at Lowe's, got a energy rebate from the local utility and another from the gov. making the cost to purchase less than most top loaders. This was about 6 years ago and it's been no trouble at all.

Remember with the front loader you have to stoop down so you may wish to get the thing under it or if you can find a good cabinet maker you can get a wooden one made.

I looked over at CU and they tend to like the expensive ones that do everything but ware the clothes for you for their highest score but recommended machines at half the price of the top rated.

Bill,

Comment

• Mr__Bill
        Veteran Member
        • May 2007
        • Tacoma, WA
        • BT3000

Originally posted by mineengineer
        when I saw the post I thought you were refering to one of these,

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Fi...l-loader02.jpg

been working in the mines to long I guess,
        Washer was not my first thought either, and machinery wasn't even close to what came to mind. I'd best not provide a link....

Bill

Comment

• tung tied
          Forum Newbie
          • Jul 2006

We're happy with the Whirlpool brand front end washer and dryer. It has a 6 point suspension. As others have noted, any machine of this type has the potential of jack-hammering your floor. So if you're putting it in a closet on the second floor, hope for good structural support. Ours is in a main floor utility room built over a basement. No problems so far.

Comment

• cabinetman
            • Jun 2006
            • So. Florida
            • Delta

Thanks for the comments so far. A friend of mine has a front loader and commented that the door gasket must be kept clean from lint or debris or it will leak. Is that a big problem with front loaders?

Comment

• pelligrini
              Veteran Member
              • Apr 2007
              • Fort Worth, TX
              • Craftsman 21829

I've had a Kenmore pair from Sears for several years now, they've been great. They were midrange units, no digital bells and whistles. The only problems with the washer was getting the pump impeller jammed. Little barbie shoes and combs from the grandaughter.

I've never had any problems with the door deal, and I hardly ever clean it. Every once in a while I'll wipe it with a towel that's going in.

Opt for the tall base, they are worth it. Mine are under a stair slope and I can't really raise them. Sometimes I wish I didn't have to bend over so far.
              Erik

Comment

• twistsol
                Veteran Member
                • Dec 2002
                • Cottage Grove, MN, USA.
                • Ridgid R4512, 2x ShopSmith Mark V 520, 1951 Shopsmith 10ER

We've had an LG pair Washer WM2277HW and Dryer DLE5977W for about 6 years with no troubles at all. I think we've cleaned the door twice in the time we've had it just because it was getting gross, but never had even the slightest leak. I've never had a problem with anything from LG except cell phones.

When the lights are off in the laundry room, you can still walk through safely since the front panels of these things have more lights than a jumbo jet instrument panel.
                Chr's

Comment

• parnelli
                  • Aug 2004
                  • bt3100

My top loader broke a few weeks back and I repaired it with advice from the Samurai appliance website. The people there have always seemed knowledgeable- from what I saw, their resounding suggestion was for the Whirlpool duet followed by an LG.

Comment

• Jim Frye
                    Veteran Member
                    • Dec 2002
                    • Maumee, OH, USA.
                    • Ryobi BT3000 & BT3100

Cat or Kubota????

Just kidding. The lady that runs the local appliance parts store here advised me to stay away from Maytag. Severe quality plummet since being bought by Whirlpool. My Daughter had Fridgidare appliances installed in her new home three years ago and has had problems with nearly every one of them. Washer, Dryer, Dishwasher, and the Refridgerator. Only the stove had not required a service call. Granted all were under warranty, but the washer required a new mother board and that would have been expensive.
                    Jim Frye
                    The Nut in the Cellar.
                    ”Sawdust Is Man Glitter”

Comment

• chopnhack
                      Veteran Member
                      • Oct 2006
                      • Florida
                      • Ryobi BT3100

The only poor thing I have heard about the front end loader style washer is that they tend to develop mold. Not to take your thread off topic C-man, but have you ever noticed a funky smell, slightly like rotten eggs from your washer?
                      I think in straight lines, but dream in curves

Comment

• jlm
                        Established Member
                        • Oct 2005
                        • Austin, TX

We had a Whirlpool Duet pair (sold with the house when we moved) for about three years, and now have an LG pair. Both sets work great, but I think I like the LG better. More options (including a nifty steam mode on the dryer for quickly de-wrinkling clothes), and a general impression of better build quality.

As for funky smells/mold, it's a non-issue if you leave the washer door slightly open until the drum is dry. If you close the door, the residual moisture can't escape since the door seals tightly (unlike a top loader). Using bleach occasionally on a load of whites probably helps keep things from getting too biological, too. We just leave the door open a crack, and have never had a problem.

Comment

• RayintheUK
                          Veteran Member
                          • Sep 2003
                          • Crowborough, East Sussex, United Kingdom.
                          • Ryobi BT3000

Originally posted by chopnhack
                          The only poor thing I have heard about the front end loader style washer is that they tend to develop mold. Not to take your thread off topic C-man, but have you ever noticed a funky smell, slightly like rotten eggs from your washer?
                          The main reason for this is the modern tendency to wash at cooler temperatures, especially using liquid detergents. As the washer works, some detergent- and dirt-laden water will splash onto the upper reaches of the outer drum and the scum will remain there, as there is not enough hot spray or steam to remove it. The enzymes or other constituents in the detergent then develop a musty smell. The cure is to set the machine on an empty, high-temperature wash, using powder not liquid detergent, or a special machine cleaning fluid, as often as needed (usually once every two or three months) and the problem is solved.

We've always wiped out the recess (like the inside of a tire) formed by the door seal at its lowest point and left the door open slightly. This prevents any mold forming. With built-in or built-under machines this is not always possible, but our latest one has given no trouble at all in that area and has to have the door closed as it's built in with a matching door to the other base cabinets.

We've used front-loaders - pretty much the universal norm here and in Europe - for >40 years and never had a leak, but make sure that you use the correct powder or fluid, as these can vary. HTH

Please excuse brief reply!

Ray
                          Did I offend you? Click here.

Comment

• cabinetman
                            • Jun 2006
                            • So. Florida
                            • Delta

Originally posted by RayintheUK
                            Please excuse brief reply!

Ray

OK...but just this once. Incredible. I never thought doing laundry was so scientific. I'm going to have to do some research on the liquid versus powder issue. I will say that LOML is a Tide fan. She said something similar that front loaders like low sudsing detergents.

Comment

• RayintheUK
                              Veteran Member
                              • Sep 2003
                              • Crowborough, East Sussex, United Kingdom.
                              • Ryobi BT3000

Originally posted by cabinetman
                              I'm going to have to do some research on the liquid versus powder issue. I will say that LOML is a Tide fan. She said something similar that front loaders like low sudsing detergents.
                              Your good lady is correct. The "smell" issue is mainly caused by the liquid detergents, which is why I recommended a hot powder wash to clean up. If you only use powders, you should have much less of an issue in that respect, IME.

Ray
                              Did I offend you? Click here.

Comment

Working...