• Show
Clear All
  • Alex Franke
    Veteran Member
    • Feb 2007
    • Chapel Hill, NC
    • Ryobi BT3100

Home security system recommendations?

Can anyone offer recommendations, experiences, things to look out for, etc, for home security systems and monitoring services? (e.g. companies like Brinks, ADT, others?, etc)

What "features" are effective and which are filler/fluff? Are the package deals the way to go? Anything you wished you had done from the start, or found you needed to go back and rethink? (e.g. install keypad upstairs, protect second floor windows, etc).

Thanks!
    online at http://www.theFrankes.com
    while ( !( succeed = try() ) ) ;
    "Life is short, Art long, Occasion sudden and dangerous, Experience deceitful, and Judgment difficult." -Hippocrates
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

take all your used cedar balls and strew them al over the front entry hall.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Knottscott
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2004
      • Rochester, NY.
      • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

ADT.... b/c my son works for them! They might be the best, but I honestly don't have a clue. They treat employees well.
      Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
        The Full Monte
        • May 2007
        • Sunshine State
        • BT3000

I use a local indie company for service, and they use a monitoring service in Miami. All is billed through the local guy. He has great knowledge of most available products, does not work on commission, and doesn't try to push the "flavor-of-the-day". I checked out his local references before I signed on 6 years ago, and have not been disappointed.

Comment

• lago
          Established Member
          • Nov 2003
          • Lago Vista, TX.

I went with a small local company and installation was about $1200. Monitoring is about $215/yr. I could have gone with ADT, Smith, and other name brands for $100-200 install but $30/mth for monitoring.

I have 2 keypads, one in master bedroom and one in garage. Have motion detectors and sensors on all exterior doors.

Have had only one false alarm when a cold front w/high wind apparently set off the alarm when I was out of town.

Have had this for about 4 years and well satisified. Wish it would have been installed a year earlier, might have scared off the burglars. We were hit on Thanksgiving weekend, along with several others in town. Some had an alarm system but it wasn't set when they went out of town. We set ours even if we will be gone only an hour or so.

Comment

• Alex Franke
            Veteran Member
            • Feb 2007
            • Chapel Hill, NC
            • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by LCHIEN
            take all your used cedar balls and strew them al over the front entry hall.
            LOL

Originally posted by lago
            We were hit on Thanksgiving weekend, along with several others in town.
            Well that's sobering. Good think we'll be in town this weekend.

A guy nearby was hit the other day between 4-6 PM. They must have pulled a car into the driveway, he said, and it looked like a pro job to the cops -- probably under five minutes, and targeting very specific items. They even searched the night stand, presumably for a gun.

I found out today that my insurer (USAA) has a deal with ADT -- something along the lines of $22/mo for monitoring so I think I'll see what they have to say after they take a look at the house.
            online at http://www.theFrankes.com
            while ( !( succeed = try() ) ) ;
            "Life is short, Art long, Occasion sudden and dangerous, Experience deceitful, and Judgment difficult." -Hippocrates

Comment

• maxparot
              Veteran Member
              • Jan 2004
              • Mesa, Arizona, USA.
              • BT3100 w/ wide table kit

I am a fire alarm and security tech.
              My suggestion is to shop around and make sure that your contract is as short as possible and at the end of the contract you own all the installed equipment.

As for monitoring there is very little difference in service. A office monitors 24/7/365 and calls police or fire as needed. The difference is in two items.

First is the system wired to your home phone, internet or wireless. I prefer the use of a wireless backup or a fully wireless system. A pro will cut phone and internet before breaking in. With the wireless you still have coverage.
              Second is in the monitoring charges most alarms can be set to be monitored by any monitoring company. The contract keeps you with the company you signed with for it's duration. After the contract is over you can find monitoring service with other companies for as little as $10/month.
              This brings us to 1 final point if you pay for your system up front without a contract you can save on the monthly monitoring charge from day one.
              Opinions are like gas;
              I don't mind hearing it, but keep it to yourself if it stinks.

Comment

• cabinetman
                Gone but not Forgotten RIP
                • Jun 2006
                • So. Florida
                • Delta

>
                >
                >
                >
                >
                >
                >
                Meet Our Dog - BRINKS
                >
                >
                >
                >
                >

Comment

• dbhost
                  Slow and steady
                  • Apr 2008
                  • League City, Texas
                  • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by Alex Franke
                  Can anyone offer recommendations, experiences, things to look out for, etc, for home security systems and monitoring services? (e.g. companies like Brinks, ADT, others?, etc)

What "features" are effective and which are filler/fluff? Are the package deals the way to go? Anything you wished you had done from the start, or found you needed to go back and rethink? (e.g. install keypad upstairs, protect second floor windows, etc).

Thanks!
                  Hire a redneck with a shotgun and a shovel...
                  Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• Woodshark
                    Established Member
                    • May 2006
                    • Atlanta

Two important points that have already been brought up.

1. Make sure that YOU own the alarm system. Either all the way, or at least after a one or two year contract. You don't want it leased because you will be tied to one alarm company forever.

2. Shop around for local monitoring. You can save big $$ over time.

Reference :http://clarkhoward.com/shownotes/category/4/100/141/

We have two homes and I installed the wiring and alarms for both. I hard wired magnetic switches for the door & windows and ran cable for motion detectors, sirens, etc back to an alarm panel during construction after the electrician did his thing and before the sheetrock was up.

The first home used an old Radio Shack system. For the new home I purchased all my gear from http://www.homesecuritystore.com
                    http://www.homesecuritystore.com
                    sigpic

Comment

Working...