• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • btalover
    Forum Newbie
    • Jan 2006
    • Baton Rouge, La, USA.

Cordless light for shed

I have a recently assembled outdoor tool shed. 10x10. Using it to move move stuff out of my shop so I can have more play room for woodworking. I have no wiring run to the shed and don't plan to. I am trying to find some kind of cordless light fixture that would either come on when I open the door or at least have a pull chain or switch right inside the door for night time forays. I haven't had much success with Google, so I must not be using the right search terms. Have any of you come across anything like this? Yeah, I know I could just lug a flashlight out there, but where's the fun in that?

Thanks.
  • Tom Slick
    Veteran Member
    • May 2005
    • Paso Robles, Calif, USA.
    • sears BT3 clone

http://www.gemplers.com/product/1341...nt-Wobblelight
    expensive but they work well
    Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Comment

• Pappy
      The Full Monte
      • Dec 2002
      • San Marcos, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 (x2)

There are solar lights with a remote panel that would do what you want.
      Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
      Fools because they have to say something.
      Plato

Comment

• just started
        • Mar 2008
        • suburban Philly

Try these

http://www.stickupbulb.com/?directLo...B6198BD7340406

Comment

• stormdog74
          Established Member
          • Mar 2007
          • Sacramento, CA
          • Ridgid TS3650

Not sure of the quality - it is HF:

http://www.harborfreightusa.com/usa/...submit=find+it

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
            The Full Monte
            • May 2007
            • Sunshine State
            • BT3000

HF has a perfect solution (although I can't attest to its lifespan) here. Print yourself out a 15% off coupon from http://www.harborfreightusa.com/html...n/coupon3.html and give it a try (then tell us how well it works... ).
            Last edited by Uncle Cracker; 08-15-2008, 02:03 AM.

Comment

• poolhound
              Veteran Member
              • Mar 2006
              • Phoenix, AZ
              • BT3100

I dont mean to Hijack this thread but if anybody knows of a similar solution for an indoor application I would appreciate it.

I am looking for a battery powered light that can go inside a cabinet but it needs to be capable of being wired to a door switch. Everything I have found so far is selfcontained and has no exposed wires or remote switch function.
              Jon

Phoenix AZ - It's a dry heat

We all make mistakes and I should know I've made enough of them
              techzibits.com

Comment

• just started
                • Mar 2008
                • suburban Philly

Jon, get any of these battery operated lights and then go to RadioJunk and get an external battery holder for the correct number of cells and a door switch for an alarm system (switch contacts open when door is closed) and wire it all up. Presto, an automatic closet light, and you did it yourself.

Comment

• btalover
                  Forum Newbie
                  • Jan 2006
                  • Baton Rouge, La, USA.

Thanks for the ideas guys. I hadn't even considered solar powered. Worth a look. This thread actually got me thinking about a way to rig some kind of battery powered lightbulb into a standard fixture and a standard light switch. I know they used to make a standard size bulb that ran on 12V for vehicle trouble lights. Maybe one of those and a couple 6V batteries in series?

-Steve

Comment

• Woody
                    Established Member
                    • May 2003
                    • USA.

Originally posted by btalover
                    Thanks for the ideas guys. I hadn't even considered solar powered. Worth a look. This thread actually got me thinking about a way to rig some kind of battery powered lightbulb into a standard fixture and a standard light switch. I know they used to make a standard size bulb that ran on 12V for vehicle trouble lights. Maybe one of those and a couple 6V batteries in series?

-Steve
                    Is running an electric line out of the question? I have found these battery lights dissapointing at best.
                    Michael
                    Central Virginia

"Give a man a fish and you'll feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and he'll sit in boat and drink beer all day."

Comment

• LCHIEN
                      Internet Fact Checker
                      • Dec 2002
                      • Katy, TX, USA.
                      • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by btalover

-Steve
                      Why use an elephant gun to shoot mice?
                      There are standard miniature low votage screw in light bulb sockets which take bulbs just like flashlight bulbs. And bulbs for those sockets come in all voltages and wattages. The voltage has to match your battery stack and the wattage is a tradeoff between brightness and life.
                      (amps = watts/voltage, watts = amps x voltage, if you need to convert)

You have a choice of battery sizes which is also a tradeoff of life and cost and size.

Duracell charts show at 2 cells with equivalent resistance to a 3W bulb,
                      a pair of D Cells last 200 hours, C cells last 100 hours and AA cells will last 30 hours.

Of course 3W is not bright at all compared to a 100W light bulb...

Try Radio Shack as a source for sockets, bulbs and battery holders and switches
                      Last edited by LCHIEN; 08-16-2008, 01:31 PM.
                      Loring in Katy, TX USA
                      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                      BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• btalover
                        Forum Newbie
                        • Jan 2006
                        • Baton Rouge, La, USA.

Originally posted by Woody
                        Is running an electric line out of the question? I have found these battery lights dissapointing at best.
                        Woody, I'm afraid it is. Way too far away from the house for that to be practical and affordable.

Thanks.

Comment

• btalover
                          Forum Newbie
                          • Jan 2006
                          • Baton Rouge, La, USA.

Originally posted by LCHIEN
                          Why use an elephant gun to shoot mice?
                          There are standard miniature low votage screw in light bulb sockets which take bulbs just like flashlight bulbs. And bulbs for those sockets come in all voltages and wattages. The voltage has to match your battery stack and the wattage is a tradeoff between brightness and life.
                          (amps = watts/voltage, watts = amps x voltage, if you need to convert)

You have a choice of battery sizes which is also a tradeoff of life and cost and size.

Duracell charts show at 2 cells with equivalent resistance to a 3W bulb,
                          a pair of D Cells last 200 hours, C cells last 100 hours and AA cells will last 30 hours.

Of course 3W is not bright at all compared to a 100W light bulb...

Try Radio Shack as a source for sockets, bulbs and battery holders and switches
                          I am satisfied that the light output from a flashlight (18V) would be sufficient, but I don't know watts or amps for that. I'll check "the Shack" to see what might work. Thanks.

Comment

• BobSch
                            • Aug 2004
                            • Minneapolis, MN, USA.
                            • BT3100

How about a 12V motorcycle battery? Wouldn't need recharging very often and 12V lights/fixtures are available at any auto parts store.
                            Bob

Bad decisions make good stories.

Comment

• LCHIEN
                              Internet Fact Checker
                              • Dec 2002
                              • Katy, TX, USA.
                              • BT3000 vintage 1999

18v light bulbs are available in assortment of wattages. there's not just 1 18V bulb.

Motorcycle batteries are lead acid, rechargeable cells called secondary cells. All common rechargable secondary ells (nicad, NiMH) have self-discharge rates that they will lose a significant amount of power in a few weeks or months. If you're going thru a lot of batteries then rechargeable makes sense mfor the cost but if you want to use it for a year at a time w/o maintenance then rechargeable batts don't work out well because they become drained in a few weeks to months. Primary cells (Alkaline, for example) have good capacity and they hold most of their charge for years. If you light usage is light and want low maintenance, alkalines would be the way to go.

Higher voltage in incandescant lights is not necessarily better than low voltage. No efficiency difference, I think between a 6 Watt 3V bulb and a 6W 18V bulb. In fact, if you can get bigger cells, low voltage will be more; reliable fewer cells in series to go bad.
                              Loring in Katy, TX USA
                              If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                              BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

Working...