Clear All
  • Greg in Maryland
    Established Member
    • Nov 2006
    • Montgomery Village, Maryland
    • BT3100

Cleaning Flagstone

Hi

I need to clean the hearthstone in front of my fireplace. I put a potted plant on it last winter and it left stains on the stone. In addition, I have what looks like rust stains on the stone.

I believe that the stone is flagstone or blue stone. The stone is similar to this: http://www.irwinstone.com/PhotoGalle...20Blue_jpg.jpg

I have tried soap and water with a sponge/scrub pad, but it didn't do a thing. I was thinking of using TSP (Tri-Sodium Phosphate) with a bristle brush. Does anyone see any downside to TSP on stone? Any better alternatives?

I am aware of the caustic nature of TSP and the need for safety precautions, so that isn't a big issue.

Thanks.

Greg
  • LYU370
    Established Member
    • Mar 2005
    • Streamwood, IL.

Here's a site with a bunch of good info, a lot of it refers to their products, but it sounds like you can use a grout cleaner to get rid of the stains.

Andy

Comment

• christiandad
      Handtools only
      • Sep 2022

My go to man when in need of inspiration and tips is Devin, I highly recommend you check some tips here. Hope it helps!

how to build a flagstone patio. For the past 10 years I've provided DIY phone consultation services teaching flagstone walls masonry and hardscaping

Comment

• capncarl
        Veteran Member
        • Jan 2007
        • Leesburg Georgia USA
        • SawStop CTS

I would fear that anything you put on the stone to remove rust will leave a light spot causing you to have to put it pop they whole fireplace.

Comment

• anglinastone
          Forum Newbie
          • Sep 2022
          • United States

In my opinion, Cover your flagstone patio with white vinegar. Allow the vinegar to sit on the flagstones for a couple of minutes. Rinse the vinegar from your flagstone patio. Use your scrub brush to clean your flagstone patio​

Comment

Working...