• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • billwmeyer
    Veteran Member
    • Feb 2003
    • Weir, Ks, USA.
    • BT3000

Yes, you can tie into the washer drain. Actually the drain is the easy part.

Bill
    "I just dropped in to see what condition my condition was in."-Kenny Rogers

Comment

• BobSch
      • Aug 2004
      • Minneapolis, MN, USA.
      • BT3100

Our washer just drains right into the sink. No special plumbing needed.
      Bob

Bad decisions make good stories.

Comment

• atgcpaul
        Veteran Member
        • Aug 2003
        • Maryland
        • Grizzly 1023SLX

Originally posted by BobSch
        Our washer just drains right into the sink. No special plumbing needed.

I will bring the picture to my city inspector and ask them.

I suppose this is an option, too. Drop the height of the waste pipe and tie
        in from the new sink to the pipe. Using the existing P-trap as the P-trap of the sink. Then drape the washer drain into the sink. What do you think?

I will still talk to the inspector, though, because I'm curious what I can do.

Thanks,
        Paul

Comment

• BobSch
          • Aug 2004
          • Minneapolis, MN, USA.
          • BT3100

Our washer came with a drain hose that has a sharp 180° bend about 8" from the end — perfect for draping over the edge of the sink.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...ose+for+washer

If you go this way, be sure to get some disposable lint traps to keep the sink from clogging.
          Bob

Bad decisions make good stories.

Comment

• Kristofor
            Veteran Member
            • Jul 2004
            • Twin Cities, MN
            • Jet JTAS10 Cabinet Saw

This is how my washer is setup too (draining into the sink), which was based on how it was done at my parents (which doesn't make it right, but it does mean I've seen it work without a problem for 30+ years).

With a large enough sink, or a high-efficiency washer even if the sink is blocked (or your spouse leaves the plug in after hand washing something) it doesn't overflow, at least not until you dunk your meaty arm in to pull the plug that wasn't on a chain - DAMHIKT.

Comment

• atgcpaul
              Veteran Member
              • Aug 2003
              • Maryland
              • Grizzly 1023SLX

I was being a good boy and went to the City code office this morning. It
              turns out the City doesn't do plumbing permits. It's handled by the local
              water commission. Their office is more than 1/2 hour away! Anyway, I think
              I'm going to fly under the radar on this one and use my best judgement.

Paul

Comment

• Kristofor
                Veteran Member
                • Jul 2004
                • Twin Cities, MN
                • Jet JTAS10 Cabinet Saw

Originally posted by atgcpaul
                I was being a good boy and went to the City code office this morning. It
                turns out the City doesn't do plumbing permits. It's handled by the local
                water commission
                . Their office is more than 1/2 hour away! Anyway, I think
                I'm going to fly under the radar on this one and use my best judgement.

Paul
                At least you get to live in oxymoronland.

I wouldn't (shhhh, didn't) pull a permit to put in a utility sink either

Comment

• JimD
                  Veteran Member
                  • Feb 2003
                  • Lexington, SC.

I was bad and finished my whole basement with no permit including putting in a utility and kitchen sink in addition to the bathroom. I have several books on building your own house so I just consulted them for rules.

I paid the plumber who plumbed my house to give me drains in the basement for the bathroom. He put them in the wrong place, however, except for the toilet which he did not vent (so I had to fix it too). I rented a jack-hammer, electric, for a day and moved the plumbing. Learning to use a jackhammer was not a ton of fun (hint, leave the rubble in the hole as long as possible) but otherwise this was not so bad. I ran off the main stack to where I wanted the utility and kitchen sinks at the same time. Getting the concrete out of the way took a day, then there was making up the new plumbing, then putting concrete back over the trenches.

In your case, I would probably make a small hole in the floor and run a drain to where the sink will be. I would check a book but I also think the vent looks big enough you could use the washer vent for the sink. With a jack hammer, it would only take an hour or two to get concrete out of the way and then a few minutes to cut and glue plastic for the drain. Then a bag or two of pre-mix and you would be done.

Jim

Comment

• phi1l
                    • Oct 2009
                    • Madison, WI

you can also just remove the Washer drain & route ther drain hose into the new sink.

Comment

• jabe
                      • Apr 2006
                      • Hilo, Hawaii
                      • Ryobi BT3000 & Delta Milwaukee 10" tilting Table circular saw

You can TEE your drain into the vent stack as you need to have a P-trap on your utility sink. The vent will not be obstructed as you will have separate P-traps for your washer and your sink hence no wet vent. But I would still check with your local building/plumbing inspector.

Comment

• sblg43
                        Forum Newbie
                        • Nov 2009
                        • Door County, WI
                        • Ryobi BT3000 (1992)

You should easily be able to tap into that drain pipe with the proper TEE. Since there is already a P-trap at the bottom of the existing drain pipe, an additional P-trap under the sink would be unnecessary.

Comment

Working...