• Show
Clear All
  • crokett
    The Full Monte
    • Jan 2003
    • Mebane, NC, USA.
    • Ryobi BT3000

Another fixing flourescent fixture

I have a couple 4' lights in my shop. They have plugs on them - I replaced the fixture in the ceiling box with an outlet. 1 light is not working. It is the fixture and not the bulbs or outlet. I am assuming ballast but have not opened it yet to see. Is it worth fixing or just buy a new one?
    David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.
  • jziegler
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2005
    • Salem, NJ, USA.
    • Ryobi BT3100

Most likely just buy a new one, unless you want a better ballast. Most of the ballasts that I have seen to buy seperately are higher end ballasts than a shop light will come with. I think that many shop lights are still using the older magnetic ballasts (think the ones with more flicker, possibly hum) rather than the electronic ones. Electronics ones cost a good bit more. Unless you get a headache from lighting with the magnetic ones (I can at times), I'd say just stick with them for the shop.

Also, there are many types of ballasts and finding the right one may be a challenge.

Jim

Comment

• WayneJ
      • Jan 2004
      • Elmwood Park, New Jersey, USA.

I replaced the 4ft lights in my shop, to many problems. Mainly because they don't work when cold. I got 2 8ft VHO fixtures with cold weather ballasts There in about 3 yrs and I have yet to change a bulb. Now I have light in the winter.(summer to) A little more $$$ but worth it.
      Wayne
      Wayne J

Comment

• 91FE
        Established Member
        • Dec 2005
        • Philadelphia (actually Souderton), PA.

from the other thread...

Originally posted by 91FE
        Originally posted by JSUPreston
        Another cheap but slightly more expensive option: new lights. I know the local BORG has Lithonia Lighting units that are about $8 each.
        Yup. I went to the BORG a few weeks ago for a replacement ballast... came home with a whole new fixture for a third of the price.
        I like Wagoneers too. Hey...they've got wood

Comment

• LCHIEN
          Internet Fact Checker
          • Dec 2002
          • Katy, TX, USA.
          • BT3000 vintage 1999

If you're like me you buy the cheapest shop lights.
          If you have cheap lights then they use primarily electronic ballasts these days. Replacement magnetic ballasts foran older fixture will cost more than a new light fixture. If you have a newer fixture it pobably can't be repaired.
          Loring in Katy, TX USA
          If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
          BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• cgallery
            Veteran Member
            • Sep 2004
            • Milwaukee, WI
            • BT3K

I was told by a shop electrician that magnetic ballasts outlast the newer electronic ones. At least, that was his experience. Anyone confirm this?

Comment

• WayneJ
              • Jan 2004
              • Elmwood Park, New Jersey, USA.

Originally posted by cgallery
              I was told by a shop electrician that magnetic ballasts outlast the newer electronic ones. At least, that was his experience. Anyone confirm this?
              I have two of the older fixtures in my basement. they were here when I bought my house , and thats 28 years ago.One of them uses starters and they both work fine.
              Wayne
              Wayne J

Comment

• cabinetman
                Gone but not Forgotten RIP
                • Jun 2006
                • So. Florida
                • Delta

For the two light shoplights, it doesn't pay to replace the ballasts. Lowes has a two light 4' shoplight with plug and pull chain for around $8.00. Haven't used a flourescent with starters till we set up some aquariums. Noticed that the starter sparks. Might not be a good idea in a shop environment.

"I'M NEVER WRONG - BUT I'M NOT ALWAYS RIGHT"

Comment

Working...