X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Tequila
    • Aug 2004
    • King of Prussia, PA, USA.

Tongue & Groove Flooring - any tips?

We're remodelling our powder room, and LOML decided on some bamboo plank t&g flooring that we'll be installing over the existing pine planks. The new flooring will be at 90 degrees to the existing planks, which I've nailed down solid & flat. Normally I'd just pull up the old flooring, but the previous homeowner had partition walls built on top of it, so it would be more of a hassle than I'm up for.

I've read up on all the basics, and we're planning to rent a flooring nailer. I'm not planning to put anything between the layers unless I hear otherwise from you guys.

I've never done t&G before, so I'm looking for any brilliant tips that will save me headaches during the install.

Thanks!
    -Joe
  • craigagain
    Forum Newbie
    • Jun 2006
    • richmond ky
    • searss version of the bt3

I just did the same job... but with some sort of bargain shop seconds, I put down a layer of roofing paper before laying the floor... just to have a smooth consistant sub-surface. But here's a great tip! Go buy the best punch you can find. There will be a nail or two (dozen) that will go in wrong and you will not be able to pull those buggers out without making a bigger mess. With the punch drive the heads flush into the new floor and renail a little futher down the course.

Comment

• LinuxRandal
      Veteran Member
      • Feb 2005
      • Independence, MO, USA.
      • bt3100

I was looking at that for one room of my house. There is also the Bamboo flooring in the quick lock type flooring (Sam's club even sells one). Easier to install, and another option (if you determine there would be a height issue).
      She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• DUD
        Royal Jester
        • Dec 2002
        • Jonesboro, Arkansas, USA.
        • Ryobi BT3000

I would put a layer of 30# felt just to help prevent any movement or squeaking. Be sure to let Your flooring acclimate in the room for a few days unbanded. Then as You are laying out the floor make sure to stagger the joints. It works real well to have someone working in front of You laying out the pieces. HTH, Bill
        5 OUT OF 4 PEOPLE DON'T UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS.

Comment

• mpphoto
          Forum Newbie
          • May 2006

I just put down some bamboo from HD for my cousin. Be aware that when you rent the flooring nailer it will likely be set up for 3/4" flooring. The bamboo I put down was 5/8" and thus required a different shoe on the nailer. Luckily I had the appropriate shoe.

I typically put flooring paper beneath the wood. It's a roll of reddish paper available at HD. I have no idea if it actually does anything.

When using a flooring nailer you will have a hard time getting the corners and final edge of the floor nailed down because you won't have enough room to swing the hammer (you'll be too close to the wall). I use a straight nailer for the last 4 or 5 rows of planks and fill the holes when I'm done.

Have fun!
          Michael

Comment

• linear
            • May 2004
            • DeSoto, KS, USA.
            • Ryobi BT3100

A buddy of mine runs a forum where flooring professionals help DIYers:
            http://www.thefloorpro.com/community/

(All due respect to the assistance offered locally, of course)
            --Rob

sigpic

Comment

• ElRay
              Established Member
              • Jan 2003
              • NoIL

Originally posted by linear
              A buddy of mine runs a forum where flooring professionals help DIYers:
              http://www.thefloorpro.com/community/
              Do you have a login on that board? When you try to create an account, it asks for the person that referred you. It's not needed, but I guess you should get any credit you deserve.

Ray
              "A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects."
              --- Robert A. Heinlein

Comment

Working...