• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • anglinastone
    Forum Newbie
    • Sep 2022
    • United States

Wooden Toys

My wife and I. We decided to start "producing" wooden toys. I have some woodworking skills and she a graduated painter. What is your opinion? Is this something worth doing? Your feedback is welcome

• LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

I enjoy my hobby as a hobby, not to make money. I am probably too careful and deliberate to make money! I like to work at my own pace and not have to meet deadlines.

You say "producing" in quotes... which could have many nuanced meanings.

But you did not say whether this will be a full time business for the two of you replacing your day job, or whether it will just be making toys for the local childrens' hospital on the side for fun and personal satisfaction of making some sick children happy.

And of course there is a wide range of toys from simple pull toys to blocks to games and puzzles and animated structures and for ages 1 to adult.

If its a business do you have a business plan? Do you have a marketing study, do you have a history/track record of making stuff that everybody wants one?

Do you enjoy it? Will you still enjoy it if it is a job?

Last edited by LCHIEN; 09-15-2022, 03:16 AM.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• anglinastone
      Forum Newbie
      • Sep 2022
      • United States

Originally posted by LCHIEN
      I enjoy my hobby as a hobby, not to make money. I am probably too careful and deliberate to make money! I like to work at my own pace and not have to meet deadlines.

You say "producing" in quotes... which could have many nuanced meanings.

But you did not say whether this will be a full time business for the two of you replacing your day job, or whether it will just be making toys for the local childrens' hospital on the side for fun and personal satisfaction of making some sick children happy.

And of course there is a wide range of toys from simple pull toys to blocks to games and puzzles and animated structures and for ages 1 to adult.

If its a business do you have a business plan? Do you have a marketing study, do you have a history/track record of making stuff that everybody wants one?

Do you enjoy it? Will you still enjoy it if it is a job?

yeah, I have business and marketing plan

Comment

• LCHIEN
        LCHIEN commented
        Editing a comment
        Fine if you have a plan, but you asked for feedback and you don't share any details, then its hard to make any constructive or insightful comments.
    • leehljp
      Just me
      • Dec 2002
      • Tunica, MS
      • BT3000/3100

"What is your opinion?" It will probably work but depends on your skill and if it is what people want.

"Is this something worth doing?" Yes since you have the skills.

Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• capncarl
        Veteran Member
        • Jan 2007
        • Leesburg Georgia USA
        • SawStop CTS

Have you actually found customers? Whether online or a brick and mortar store, customers are the missing piece to your puzzle. I personally know several woodworkers who make toys, turned bowls etc. and they can’t hardly find people to give their stuff to! The lady that runs the art gallery where I sell my tables told me that wooden toys just don’t sell….. at all, in any store she has ever been affiliated with. I asked because I thought it would be a good sideline to add to my work. I know that selling small wooden items in my area is extremely hard, whereas a friend of mine sells all he can make in his area. Long story shortened, find your market / outlet before you invest a lot of time and money gearing up your shop for making wooden toys. I

Comment

Working...