• Show
Clear All
  • Seawolf72
    Handtools only
    • Jan 2022
    • Peachtree City, GA
    • BT3000

Accessories

I have BT3000 that my wife bought me years ago. After retiring I have renewed my interest in woodworking. Currently I am a building a 14 foot plywood over frame boat.

my question is what 3 accessories would you acquire to compliment the basic ryobi table saw.
  • dbhost
    Slow and steady
    • Apr 2008
    • League City, Texas
    • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by Seawolf72
    I have BT3000 that my wife bought me years ago. After retiring I have renewed my interest in woodworking. Currently I am a building a 14 foot plywood over frame boat.

my question is what 3 accessories would you acquire to compliment the basic ryobi table saw.
    I think the better question would be what do you already have?

Not knowing that, I will take a quick stab at it.

#1. Shark Guard. https://www.thesharkguard.com/ From your post I assume you do not have a dust colllector so select a 2.5" port size...
    #2. Shop vac with 2.5" hose, so a larger one. If you get a Rigid, get one with the intake port in the tank not the vacuum head so you can use filter bags. And make sure you get the HEPA filter for it...
    #3. Build a Thien separator, or buy some sort of separator for the shop vac that works with a 5 gallon bucket. Harbor Freight sells the Bauer cyclone dust seprator for 5 gallon buckets that is reported to work well...

Other items you are going to want for the table saw...
    #1. Stack Dado blade set. The BT3x00 accepts a 6" Dado stack. The Freud and Oshlun Dadoes are both really nice. I'm not a fan of wobble type dadoes so won't recommend them.
    #2. Variety of Dado, and Zero clearance throat plates. The Zero Clearance plates you can make yourself.

Something that used to be on this site that is a GREAT idea. DRAW THE RED LINE.

Meaning take a red sharpie and in the table top groove inline with the blade, fill that groove in with red sharpie out to the end on the saw to indicate the line of danger should something slip in that direction. Honestly mine needs to be redone. IF you have model paint, or your wife has bright red fingernail polish she would be willing to donate to the cause of safety, you can paint it on as well... It's just sharpies are cheap, and typically don't cause domestic issues should you use them on a table saw...
    Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• LCHIEN
      Internet Fact Checker
      • Dec 2002
      • Katy, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by Seawolf72

That is a very personal evaluation and is based in part on what you do.

I reviewed the accessories in my FAQ (which is linked in the signature line of this and every post I have made) which discusses the strong points of all the ones they offered at the time.

Ones I have and find useful are the microadjuster which lets me fine tune rip fence position to better than a 1/64th inch usually I can dial in .010" pretty quickly. But that may not be needed for a boat. Its useful for small items.

I also like the miter clamp - sometimes but not all the time. I have an extended miter fence which you may find useful for managing longer crosscuts although I do admit I do most longer cross cuts on the 12" compound miter saw. I have some rail extensions which I have not used much, But you might find them useful for longer cuts associated with a 14' boat?

I have an Ryobi accessory outfeed table which has been permanently attached and I use all the time. But they are hard to find, and you can easily make an outfeed table which is important to helping support offcuts on rips.

Thumbs down on Things like the dust bag (I use a dust collector plumbed to a belly pan and the dust port) and casters (I use a mobile base but it hasn't moved in years).

I don't have a miter slot - I simply find using the SMT is quite good and adaptable for all purposes you would use a miter slot for. But lots of people want them for traditional table saw fixtures.

I have always made jigs and fixtures as I encounter a need, the BT3 saws are good for this as they have a lot of attachment points. One you can't buy, like a high rip fence, sacrificial rip fence, blocks for making non binding rip fences positioning cross cuts. Look in the two threads with DIY Shop in the title and the articles section for ideas. The mobile base (aftermarket) can be useful where you are juggling space. A featherboard is useful to make and attach to the SMT instead of a miter slot.

Really, the saw should be good to go without. a lot of accessories.
      Last edited by LCHIEN; 01-17-2022, 06:10 PM.
      Loring in Katy, TX USA
      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
      BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

Working...