• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Fred Stevens`
    Handtools only
    • Jun 2021

Rookie question about BT3000 routers

Hi all,
    Have a BT3000 saw in good working order with which I'm pretty happy with. I want to start exploring the world of routers. I already have a Ryobi Router Mounting Kit, for the saw and would initially like to get a Ryobi router for it, but which model?. Ryobi 's list of routers goes from R160 to R180. They obviously all get the job done, but I'd like to get one that is fairly easy to work with, i.e. replacing bits, and height adjustment. The newer models? I likely will upgrade later but any suggestions now now would be appreciated.

Thanks,
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

If you try and get an old Ryobi router that is age matched to the saw, there were a lot of problems with the base and router swelling and fitting too tight and causing problems. I'm thinking the RE150 models (just by memory) and some of the later models.
    I'm not sure that current Ryobi routers have the same hole pattern, it was somewhat unique to the Ryobi and some Craftsmans which were made by Ryobi and labeled Craftsman.

The Bosch/Porter Cable all share the same hole pattern for mounting. Its not too hard to drill the aluminum plate for these, using the removable black plastic baseplate as a template.

Have you read the BT3 FAQ (linked by my signature line, below)?
    It has a section on Router selection options for the BT3000 series.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Fred Stevens`
      Handtools only
      • Jun 2021

Thanks for the info, especially the helpful FAQ. Offhand do you know if the Dewalt 618 router which gets generally good reviews would match up with the holes on the BT3000 router table? The Ryobi router mounting kit that I have might make it work.

Thanks,
      Fred

Comment

• LCHIEN
        Internet Fact Checker
        • Dec 2002
        • Katy, TX, USA.
        • BT3000 vintage 1999

It appears the DW618 shares the same hole pattern as the very popular PC690 series and the Bosch 1617 series routers.

Here is a couple of documents I've saved
        Jessem Router plate manual with hole patterns for many popular routers I down loaded in 2016. Starts on page 4.
        Router plate hole patterns
        Click image for larger version

Name:	image_26595.png
Views:	307
Size:	231.7 KB
ID:	844563
        Attached Files
        Last edited by LCHIEN; 06-30-2021, 03:10 AM.
        Loring in Katy, TX USA
        If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
        BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• leehljp
          Just me
          • Dec 2002
          • Tunica, MS
          • BT3000/3100

I hate to discourage someone new to woodworking who already has a favorable opinion of a tool, but I have to go along with Loren on this. Bosch, Dewalt, Porter Cable, Milwaukee, Makita, Hitachi/Metabo are much better routers in the long run. And of course Elu, Fein, Freud, Festool - but they are rarely seen over here.

Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

Working...