• Show
Clear All
  • Bill
    Handtools only
    • Jul 2017
    • Virginia
    • Jiangsu Master Mechanic First big mistake as newby

table saw 5/8 miter slots

Are there any good 5/8 miter gauges available. I bought a saw thinking the slots were all 3/4 which is not the case.
    Last edited by LCHIEN; 07-27-2017, 10:49 PM.
  • d_meister
    Established Member
    • Feb 2009
    • La Conner, WA.
    • BT3000

What is it made of? I had that issue with a Ryobi band saw that had an aluminum table. I widened the slot by cutting it on the table saw with my least-favorite carbide tipped blade using multiple light passes. If that can't be done, you could have either the slot widened by a machine shop, or replace the miter bar on a good miter gauge. Maybe have the bar machined?

Comment

• LCHIEN
      Internet Fact Checker
      • Dec 2002
      • Katy, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 vintage 1999

Only seen those narrow miter slots on inexpensive saws and sanders with small tables.. Is it a standard depth of 3/8" as well?
      What TS is it?
      Last edited by LCHIEN; 07-29-2017, 12:58 AM.
      Loring in Katy, TX USA
      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
      BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Bill
        Handtools only
        • Jul 2017
        • Virginia
        • Jiangsu Master Mechanic First big mistake as newby

It is an inexpensive saw which was my first mistake. I am afraid that the only good solution is to by a better saw.

Comment

• capncarl
          Veteran Member
          • Jan 2007
          • Leesburg Georgia USA
          • SawStop CTS

I'd go the table saw sled route rather than modify a miter gauge. You can use wood or hard plastic Uhmw pe, for the slots, since its captured in the slot it doesn't have to be absolutely perfectly true.
          capncarl

Comment

• JoeyGee
            Veteran Member
            • Nov 2005
            • Sylvania, OH, USA.
            • BT3100-1

I think Carl has the right solution for that saw.
            Joe

Comment

• Recordless
              Handtools only
              • Jul 2019
              • USA
              • DEWALT DW745

If you can find a 5/8" miter gauge replacement for your saw for a reasonable price (good luck with that. A quick google makes them seem very hard to come by) then by all means I'd do that, but really you can do all you want by building a crosscut / miter sled for your saw, which really anyone with a table saw should have. It's not a hard project to make. https://wisepick.org/best-miter-saw-stand/

Comment

• MarkyM
                Handtools only
                • Aug 2019

Originally posted by Recordless
                If you can find a 5/8" miter gauge replacement for your saw for a reasonable price (good luck with that. A quick google makes them seem very hard to come by) then by all means I'd do that, but really you can do all you want by building a crosscut / miter sled for your saw, which really anyone with a table saw should have. It's not a hard project to make. https://www.officialtop5review.com/table-saws/
                Thanks for this!

Comment

• julie002
                  Handtools only
                  • Aug 2019

Originally posted by Recordless
                  If you can find a 5/8" miter gauge replacement for your saw for a reasonable price (good luck with that. A quick google makes them seem very hard to come by) then by all means I'd do that, but really you can do all you want by building a crosscut / miter sled for your saw, which really anyone with a table saw should have. It's not a hard project to make. https://wisepick.org/best-miter-saw-stand/
                  This is really helpful.

Comment

Working...