Clear All
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

quote:Originally posted by WoodRook

Thanks for the reply Loring.

One other question for anyone's consideration. This gun weighs in at 4.25 pounds which seems hefty to me. I picked up a Tradesman brand 2" brad nailer at Lowes & it felt much lighter (but I don't know what it weighed). Is the 4+ pounds considered a light, typical or heavy weight for a 2" gun?

I ask because of rhuematoid arthritis in my wrists/hands (not because I'm a [Arnold] girlie-man [/Arnold].....)!
    How do you know its 4+ lbs? did you weigh one at HF, or did you read it on HF's site? Sometimes weight is shipping weight and not tool weight. Sometimes (and I know this is true) there's lots of typos in the HF descriptions and stuff, so don't rely on it 100%. I'd be real surprised if their cheapo gun weighted a lot more (2X) than other cheapo guns.

Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• BobSch
      • Aug 2004
      • Minneapolis, MN, USA.
      • BT3100

That 4 pounds has to be shipping weight. No way is the gun itself that heavy.
      Bob

Bad decisions make good stories.

Comment

• golfmore
        Established Member
        • Nov 2003
        • Centennial, CO, USA.

Just bought one at HF. It came up $49, and with add was adjusted to $19.99.

Comment

• WoodRook
          Established Member
          • Feb 2005
          • Endicott, NY, USA.

Loring, Bob - I took the weight from the website so I have no idea if it's right or wrong. From the HF link above : "Weighs only 4.25 pounds"

Any owner's care to comment (or better yet weigh their gun for me)? Thanks.
          WoodRook

Comment

• Brian G
            • Jun 2003
            • Bloomington, Minnesota.
            • G0899

I just now used a hanging scale to weigh my 46309 nailer. The scale indicated it weighs 2.9 lbs.

I weighed the nailer in the case, and it weighed 4 lbs.
            Brian

Comment

• WoodRook
              Established Member
              • Feb 2005
              • Endicott, NY, USA.

Thanks Knuckles!
              WoodRook

Comment

• gbutler
                Forum Newbie
                • Mar 2005
                • Roland, OK, USA.

Thanks for the info on the nailer. What about compressor? What's the minimum size I will need for nailing and maybe some light painting?
                Gary Butler

Comment

• WoodRook
                  Established Member
                  • Feb 2005
                  • Endicott, NY, USA.

I'm far from an expert but nailing & spraying have vastly different requirements. Most any compressor will shoot brads or finish nails but you need lots of air to paint which requires a much larger compressor.
                  WoodRook

Comment

• gbutler
                    Forum Newbie
                    • Mar 2005
                    • Roland, OK, USA.

Thanks for all the input on nailers. Although I don't have a compressor yet, I picked up the HF 3/8" to 2" brad nailer for $19.99 at my local HF store.

I couldn't wait to try it out so I stopped at my brother in law's house to hook it up to his compressor. I nailed a few pieces of wood together just to try the thing out. Works great!

A quick question though. The documentation that came with it is the usual HF type instructions. Where do I put the air tool oil?????? I didn't see any holes for the oil....

Gary Butler

Comment

• LarryG
                      The Full Monte
                      • May 2004
                      • Off The Back
                      • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

quote:Originally posted by gbutler

Where do I put the air tool oil??????
                      Put about three or four drops (no kidding: that's PLENTY) in the air inlet on the nailer before you connect the air hose.

Do this each time you use the gun unless you're only shooting a handful of nails, in which case you might skip it if you've oiled the gun recently (last day or two). You don't want to go too heavy on the oil because it'll blow out onto your project and stain the wood and/or screw up your finishing.

Use air tool oil, which is sold in small bottles in the same area you'll find nails/brads/staples. Couple-three bucks for a small bottle, will last you forever.
                      Larry

Comment

• LCHIEN
                        Internet Fact Checker
                        • Dec 2002
                        • Katy, TX, USA.
                        • BT3000 vintage 1999

quote:Originally posted by LarryG

quote:Originally posted by gbutler

Where do I put the air tool oil??????
                        Put about three or four drops (no kidding: that's PLENTY) in the air inlet on the nailer before you connect the air hose.

Do this each time you use the gun unless you're only shooting a handful of nails, in which case you might skip it if you've oiled the gun recently (last day or two). You don't want to go too heavy on the oil because it'll blow out onto your project and stain the wood and/or screw up your finishing.

Use air tool oil, which is sold in small bottles in the same area you'll find nails/brads/staples. Couple-three bucks for a small bottle, will last you forever.
                        perfect advice.
                        Loring in Katy, TX USA
                        If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                        BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

Working...