How do you guys determine what wood scraps are worth keeping?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ivwshane
    Established Member
    • Dec 2003
    • Sacramento CA

How do you guys determine what wood scraps are worth keeping?

After finishing a project I usually do a thorough cleaning of my shop (aka the garage). Today was that day and I realized I had a lot of scrap wood, some small pieces, a lot of medium sized pieces and a few large pieces like half sheets of ply, I even had scrap pieces of drywall.

So I need to get better organized because I could have used the scraps (the big pieces) for my workbench which would have saved me about $80 bucks.

So how do you guys decide what to keep and what to throw away or recycle?

Also what are some good wood organization racks that have a small foot print? The garage has to be shared with my wife's car and currently about 1/3 is used for wood flooring for a future project so space is a premium.
  • dbhost
    Slow and steady
    • Apr 2008
    • League City, Texas
    • Ryobi BT3100

Honestly, I go by the "looks useful" and "yeah it's cold enough to toss that in the fireplace" method... Usually there is beer involved.
    Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• LCHIEN
      Internet Fact Checker
      • Dec 2002
      • Katy, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 vintage 1999

don't ask me there's piles of scraps of all sizes all over my shop
      Loring in Katy, TX USA
      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
      BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• mpc
        • Feb 2005
        • Cypress, CA, USA.
        • BT3000 orig 13amp model

I keep almost everything that is larger than my palm. If nothing else, little blocks and cell-phone sized bits of scrap plywood are good for clamping pads, holding stuff off the workbench or table saw when I'm using the circular saw, painting/spraying poly, etc.

My storage system fits along a wall of the garage. It's really three separate pieces:
        1: basic wire shelves from Home Depot for long boards & sticks. Quick and easy.
        2: small areas between studs for cutoffs stored on-end. Small chains in screw-in J hooks trap the pieces.
        3: a wedge-shaped bin for large sheet goods. It's on locking casters and is hinged to one of the wall studs. I made the bin from a long 2x8 or 2x10 (I forget which) bottom & end piece with rabbets and one sheet of 3/4 inch plywood cut diagonally: 3 feet tall on one end, 1 foot tall on the open end. Angled dowel pegs in the side of the panel support my sawboards. (the attached pics were taken before I added the sawboard storage)

Being on casters, the plywood cart tucks against the wall quickly. Rolling it out makes it easy to load/unload and enables access to the cutoffs. The idea came from a photo posted previously on this site. When tucked against the wall the whole assembly is less than a foot wide - about the same as a bike leaning against the wall - leaving some room for the car.

mpc

edit: the studs visible in my pics are not the actual wall studs... the walls are insulated and covered in drywall. Those 2x4s are nailed to alternating studs through the drywall so the storage bays are nearly 32 inches wide. And there is one along the bottom, just above the foundation edge, to keep everything off the cold and potentially wet floor.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by mpc; 01-12-2013, 05:44 AM.

Comment

• radhak
          Veteran Member
          • Apr 2006
          • Miramar, FL
          • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

Very timely! I've been going nuts this past week trying to figure that same thing out!

My wife remarked last weekend that she feels embarrassed when the garage door is left open, for the mess visible to outsiders. That made me spend some serious time there just to clean up. I realize now that I have retained everything using mpc's criterion above - and I could do better, be more selective.

The truth is while it's not easy to throw out anything that 'might be useful', I definitely don't need all the bits and pieces of plywood, nor all those slivers of pine or poplar...

I do have some good organization racks; I even have a small document sorter reallocated to sort smaller pieces of wood (will post pictures later). Now I need to hardline the space for wood scraps - will start discarding once that space fills up. As you have observed, having more scrap does not help if you don't lay your hands on them at the right moment!
          It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
          - Aristotle

Comment

• cabinetman
            Gone but not Forgotten RIP
            • Jun 2006
            • So. Florida
            • Delta

What's a scrap? I'm really a hoarder, as I never know what I'll need. It could be as small as a stop block, or something to cut out a wedge.

Comment

• Pappy
              The Full Monte
              • Dec 2002
              • San Marcos, TX, USA.
              • BT3000 (x2)

What mean "THROW AWAY, Ke-mo sah-be?
              Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
              Fools because they have to say something.
              Plato

Comment

• Carpenter96
                Established Member
                • Aug 2011
                • Barrie ON Canada
                • BT 3000

Scrap

I used to work in a shop that restored antique wooden boats and the owner was burning mahogany as big as a couple of feet long of varied thicknesses. I asked if I could take some and he said to go ahead because they were no good to him. I have build all sorts of small projects from jewellery boxes down to key fobs. So to me they were priceless. That was 1992 and sadly I am finally down to just a few pieces. One mans garbage is anothers treasure. It all comes down to space if you have no room to work Purge. Regards Bob

Comment

• leehljp
                  Just me
                  • Dec 2002
                  • Tunica, MS
                  • BT3000/3100

And if you are a pen turner, the pieces that are distorted, knotty and seemingly unusefull in a box/flat wood structure - these pieces are priceless as pen blanks, even if pithy, or with soft dead spots and with cracks.

I save pine cut off from 1x4s that are 6 inches or more; 2x4s the same; pieces of ply that are more than 6 inches. Less than that on plain pine or plain ply, I generally will throw away, especially if I have just finished a large project.
                  Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• charliex
                    • Mar 2004
                    • Spring Valley, MN, USA.
                    • Sears equivelent BT3100-1

Like many other things that accumulate.... make a place and when it's full, cull. It's almost impossible to know what off-cuts will be needed in the future. I give my scraps to a neighbor with a fire ring in his back yard. Neighbors and friends enjoy getting together watch the fire, share good micro brews and converse. When Tony stokes the fire with some of my scraps, those in attendance will sometimes ask as to what I was making when those strange cuts were made. All the while I'm thinking why did I throw all those good pieces away.

Comment

• phrog
                      Veteran Member
                      • Jul 2005
                      • Chattanooga, TN, USA.

Originally posted by LCHIEN
                      don't ask me there's piles of scraps of all sizes all over my shop
                      +1 on that.
                      Richard

Comment

• phrog
                        Veteran Member
                        • Jul 2005
                        • Chattanooga, TN, USA.

Originally posted by Pappy
                        Ke-mo sah-be
                        Wow, I haven't heard that one in a long time! Hi-yo-Silver, Away!
                        Richard

Comment

• JimD
                          Veteran Member
                          • Feb 2003
                          • Lexington, SC.

I'm glad to hear I'm not the only hoarder. My last shop was the front of the garage and my late wife hated looking at the scraps and dust. She readily agreed to an extra garage in my current house for my shop.

I throw stuff away when it gets so bad it pisses me off. I'm thinking of buying a sheet of 7/16 roof sheathing and splitting it into 16 inch tall pieces to make taller sides for my trailer. I would then shovel up all the scraps in my shop into the trailer and take it to the dump. I have to dodge things to walk through. My tools with wheels won't roll because there is too much on the floor. The problem is I use the little scraps when I make things. But too many of them is just not manageable. I bet I have stuff 10 years old or more.

I do throw things away but just at a significantly slower pace than I make more.

Jim

Comment

• cwsmith
                            Veteran Member
                            • Dec 2005
                            • NY Southern Tier, USA.
                            • BT3100-1

My approach is to minimize scrap altogether. While I am no where near as productive as many of you are, I find for the things I do, it's best to lay out everything on my computer first.

Probably because I've spent my life as an technical illustrator, building (or tearing apart, if you wish) machines on paper. So whether I'm doing a built-end or whatever, I draw it first and then take notes on what I should cut and how best to get the most out of the stock.

I look at a board, figure what knots need to be avoided for a clear piece, etc. and then go from there.

The scraps are all saved. Little stuff dumped into a large trash barrel and anything larger than "kindling" stacked or stored for other pieces when needed. After building the stuff for the main library and the cookbook room and a small table, some misc. shelves, molding, etc. I had one container of "kindling" after three years of this. I just gave it to my brother, who then used many of these small pieces for his model work and then the rest in his wood stove.

I even saved the sawdust, which amounted to two of those large paper "yard waste bags". Those went to a friend of mine who used them in his garage for "dust" clean-up or whatever he called it (He repairs engines.)

So, very little gets taken to the curb and whether it's for drill-press "backing" or whatever, the scraps do seem to have some use before I give them away.

CWS
                            Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

• durango dude
                              • Mar 2011
                              • a thousand or so feet above insanity
                              • 50s vintage Craftsman Contractor Saw

I don't decide --- I impulsively keep everything.

Comment

Working...