• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wd4lc
    Established Member
    • Nov 2008
    • Houston, TX
    • Ryobi BT3100-1

Some measurements for anyone who wants a semi-guide on what to expect for creating a throat plate. Be warned I'm an amateur!

http://img341.imageshack.us/img341/9144/dadotp.jpg

Comment

• chopnhack
      Veteran Member
      • Oct 2006
      • Florida
      • Ryobi BT3100

I know that this is an older thread, however, after buying my first dado stack (Thanks Holbren!!) which was a 6" I do want to add that if you will ever use your dado stack in some type of jig, you might want the extra height that the 8" affords.... I went with the Oshlun 6" The depth of cut was severely limited when I used it in my box joint sled which has a 1/2" base.
      I think in straight lines, but dream in curves

Comment

• LCHIEN
        Internet Fact Checker
        • Dec 2002
        • Katy, TX, USA.
        • BT3000 vintage 1999

CNH, how big a finger joint were you making? A six inch dado should give a 1-9/16" max cut depth.
        With a 1/2" base that's still a 1-1/16" finger depth. I can't imagine making a box joint thicker than about 3/4".
        Last edited by LCHIEN; 10-18-2012, 12:10 AM.
        Loring in Katy, TX USA
        If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
        BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• dbhost
          Slow and steady
          • Apr 2008
          • League City, Texas
          • Ryobi BT3100

Loring beat me to the question...

I could see for certain situations going 1", but that would be pretty extreme...
          Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• chopnhack
            Veteran Member
            • Oct 2006
            • Florida
            • Ryobi BT3100

Apparently my mileage varied quite a bit! This was on my Jet tablesaw not the BT3. I first started with a 3/4" plywood base (what I had on hand) and started to adjust the stack up. I adjusted to max height and took a reading with my caliper and found that it was not high enough. The finger joint being cut was 5/8" x 5/8". I was little shocked honestly... I swapped out the base and used a 1/2" piece of mdf and all was well.
            I think in straight lines, but dream in curves

Comment

Working...