X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sailor55330
    Established Member
    • Jan 2010

Looking for source on shop cabinet building

Does anyone have a recommendation on a source for building shop cabinets. I am hoping for something that goes into very straightforward detail about processes and assembly as well as layout. I did a lot of searching and ordered Tom Clark's book Practical Shop Cabinets and after reading it, I am embarrassed to say that his way of illustration and explanation leaves me very confused and wasnt' much help. I'm sure the book is great, but for me I need more visual reference than verbal reference, and the book wasn't right for me.

Thank you and let the laughing begin.
  • Black wallnut
    cycling to health
    • Jan 2003
    • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
    • BT3k 1999

If you are a visual type of guy you might check out New Yankee Workshop videos. Over the years Norm built a wide variety of cabinets.
    Donate to my Tour de Cure

marK in WA and Ryobi Fanatic Association State President ©

Head servant of the forum

©

Comment

• 3thumbs
      Established Member
      • Oct 2008
      • Northern Colorado
      • Delta 10" contractor saw/cast wings

ShopNotes Magazine is where I got most of my ideas for shop cabinets.
      DM

Comment

• dbhost
        Slow and steady
        • Apr 2008
        • League City, Texas
        • Ryobi BT3100

Wood Magazine and Shop Notes Magazine publishes plans that I find easy to follow. And even at that I can and often do mess them up...
        Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• cork58
          Established Member
          • Jan 2006
          • Wasilla, AK, USA.
          • BT3000

I used allot of the information in this article when setting up my new 40X40 shop. I was really happy with the wall cleat system for hanging the many different types and layouts for my walls. The cabinets are very eazy to build and you can change them to meet your needs.

I would read the entire article first but I took you right to the meat.

Link: http://www.woodmagazine.com/ideas/wo...hop-52/?page=3
          Cork,

Dare to dream and dare to fail.

Comment

• cabinetman
            Gone but not Forgotten RIP
            • Jun 2006
            • So. Florida
            • Delta

Originally posted by sailor55330
            Does anyone have a recommendation on a source for building shop cabinets. I am hoping for something that goes into very straightforward detail about processes and assembly as well as layout.
            Maybe if you post your shop dimensions, and the wall layouts of what's there, like outlets, switches, windows, doorways, sufficient enough for us to look at a wall at a time for proposed layouts.

If you have a preference of where you want wall and base cabinets, that will provide the start of giving some information. As for cabinet/drawer/countertop construction, you will get suggestions from members that can help.

Comment

• kevincan
              Established Member
              • Oct 2006
              • Central Illinois
              • Craftsman 21829

Another source is Tom Clark's book on shop cabinets.

http://www.tomclarkbooks.com/tomclar..._Cabinets.html

Comment

• TCOTTLE
                Established Member
                • May 2009
                • Greenbush Maine
                • Ryobi BT3000

Building traditional kitchen cabinets - jim (somebody) name is escaping me.

Comment

• LinuxRandal
                  Veteran Member
                  • Feb 2005
                  • Independence, MO, USA.
                  • bt3100

Originally posted by sailor55330
                  Does anyone have a recommendation on a source for building shop cabinets. I am hoping for something that goes into very straightforward detail about processes and assembly as well as layout. I did a lot of searching and ordered Tom Clark's book Practical Shop Cabinets and after reading it, I am embarrassed to say that his way of illustration and explanation leaves me very confused and wasnt' much help. I'm sure the book is great, but for me I need more visual reference than verbal reference, and the book wasn't right for me.

Thank you and let the laughing begin.
                  Make SURE (he is a member here, and I would expect him to post), you send him feedback. I believe I have the first printing, and wish there were more pictures as well. (just makes me draw things out)

Originally posted by kevincan
                  Another source is Tom Clark's book on shop cabinets.

http://www.tomclarkbooks.com/tomclar..._Cabinets.html
                  Another visual, rather then verbal reference person, perhaps. LOL (did you read the above?)

Originally posted by TCOTTLE
                  Building traditional kitchen cabinets - jim (somebody) name is escaping me.
                  Jim Tolpin
                  She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• twistsol
                    Veteran Member
                    • Dec 2002
                    • Cottage Grove, MN, USA.
                    • Ridgid R4512, 2x ShopSmith Mark V 520, 1951 Shopsmith 10ER

Check out Marc Sommerfeld's cabinet building DVD's. Marc goes into quite a bit of detail and the videos are only about 25% a commercial for his products.

http://www.sommerfeldtools.com/Instr...Ds/products/4/

Here's my first project using the basic tongue and groove kit and the shaker raised panel set.

http://www.bt3central.com/showthread...ghlight=router

As a side note, I'm not very fond of their pocket screw jig, but everything else I've ordered from them is pretty good.
                    Chr's

Comment

• chopnhack
                      Veteran Member
                      • Oct 2006
                      • Florida
                      • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by twistsol
                      Check out Marc Sommerfeld's cabinet building DVD's. Marc goes into quite a bit of detail and the videos are only about 25% a commercial for his products.

http://www.sommerfeldtools.com/Instr...Ds/products/4/

Here's my first project using the basic tongue and groove kit and the shaker raised panel set.

http://www.bt3central.com/showthread...ghlight=router

As a side note, I'm not very fond of their pocket screw jig, but everything else I've ordered from them is pretty good.
                      Good to know, I really liked his video that's on the website, I think he really has cab making distilled
                      I think in straight lines, but dream in curves

Comment

Working...