• Show
Clear All
  • lantzn
    Handtools only
    • Apr 2011
    • WA State
    • BT3000

Upgrade router to handle 1/2" shanks?

Hello this is my first post although I've owned my BT3000 for a number of years now. The saw came with a router (1/4" collet) and mounting kit which I never mounted. I've used both separately. I now want to tongue and groove 1 by (3/4") clear pine and all the quality T&G bits are 1/2" shanks. Can someone recommend a good quality router with 1/2" collet that will mount to the BT3000 accessory table?
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

unfortunately the BT3 router table was drilled exclusively for the Ryobi routers and some of the Craftsman routers that were made by Ryobi for Craftsman badging.

That doesn't stop you from using any of the very good routers like the Bosch 1617EVS, Dewalt 618, Porter Cable 86x routers (I think these all share the same mounting hole pattern BTW).

You're going to have to do some drilling of holes, but its relatively easy in aluminum. Remove the plastic scuff plate of your router and use it as a template for the hole pattern. Carefully mark the center of each hole location (3 places) and dimple with a center punch to prevent the bit walking. Use a sharp twist bit and preferably a drill press to drill the hole, then countersink the top of the plate (opposite side of the countersinks for the four screws that hold the router Mtg plate to the Auxiliary table) for flat head screws.

It might help if you start the drill with a smaller bit in the center of the dimple, then enlarge the hole with the final bit size.

Worst come to worst, If you screw up, rotate the plate a few degrees and make another set of holes.

There's more BT3 related router mounting instructions and tips and router recommendations in my FAQ (see sig line below).
    Last edited by LCHIEN; 04-05-2011, 07:41 PM.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Cochese
      Veteran Member
      • Jun 2010

Could always use the saw if you don't want to invest in a router right now.
      I have a little blog about my shop

Comment

• leehljp
        Just me
        • Dec 2002
        • Tunica, MS
        • BT3000/3100

I think you are going in the right direction by looking at the 1/2 in router and router bits. I use my 1/2 in router with 1/2 bits about 4 to 1 over my 1/4. And the strength and mass of the 1/2 is far superior in heavy routing.
        Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• atgcpaul
          Veteran Member
          • Aug 2003
          • Maryland
          • Grizzly 1023SLX

Originally posted by LCHIEN
          That doesn't stop you from using any of the very good routers like the Bosch 1617EVS, Dewalt 318, Porter Cable 86x routers (I think these all share the same mounting hole pattern BTW).

You're going to have to do some drilling of holes, but its relatively easy in aluminum.
          This is what I had to do for my Bosch.

Word of caution, though. It was a long time ago, but one day, the screws
          holding the Bosch to the plate backed out probably from vibration and the
          whole router fell on the floor WITH the bit still running. Luckily it didn't get
          me and the mobile base was wood and not metal so no damage to my bit. I
          ended up replacing the Bosch screws with longer ones that went through the
          base, and then I used a locking star washer with a nut so it couldn't happen
          again. Maybe Locktite on the original nut would suffice.

Originally posted by CocheseUGA
          Could always use the saw if you don't want to invest in a router right now.
          Definitely another way to go if you already have a dado set and don't want
          to spend any more money.

Comment

• dbhost
            Slow and steady
            • Apr 2008
            • League City, Texas
            • Ryobi BT3100

When I used my accessory table, I drilled the mounting plate for my Hitachi KM12VC fixed base. It rocks...
            Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• Knottscott
              Veteran Member
              • Dec 2004
              • Rochester, NY.
              • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

Just about any router's sub-base can be easily adapted to fit the BT router table. Variable speed is a worthwhile feature to seek out. The Hitachi M12VC is a nice router that's often on sale at good prices. The new Craftsman routers are getting good marks from users, and are often favorably priced too.
              Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• Norm in Fujino
                • Dec 2002
                • Fujino-machi, Kanagawa-ken, Japan.
                • Ryobi BT-3000

YMMV, but I've used the MLCS T&G 1/4" bits with great success in my PC router on the BT3000. The secret is not to force things too fast.

http://www.mlcswoodworking.com/order...ue_groove.html
                ==========
                ". . . and only the stump, or fishy part of him remained."
                Green Gables: A Contemplative Companion to Fujino Township

Comment

• Cochese
                  Veteran Member
                  • Jun 2010

Originally posted by Knottscott
                  Just about any router's sub-base can be easily adapted to fit the BT router table. Variable speed is a worthwhile feature to seek out. The Hitachi M12VC is a nice router that's often on sale at good prices. The new Craftsman routers are getting good marks from users, and are often favorably priced too.
                  I just picked up the 28084 on sale for $150. I can't wait to try out the D-handle base.

Now I have three routers, the 28084, the 17543 and a Ryobi One+ Laminate trimmer. Never thought I'd own more than the 17543.
                  I have a little blog about my shop

Comment

Working...