X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kevin2010
    Forum Newbie
    • May 2010

how wide is 21829 kerf?

Hi I assumed 21829 has a think kerf blade?

I measure the width of the blade teeth is around .107 which should be 7/64? Even if it is a ATB, each teeth should aligned, right?

I also measure the kerf (real cut) width, it is about .115 or 120. (forgot which one)

Does that mean my blade has some wobbling? Is that within tolerance?

How width is your kerf?

Thanks.
  • pelligrini
    Veteran Member
    • Apr 2007
    • Fort Worth, TX
    • Craftsman 21829

The 21829 comes with a thin kerf blade.

The motor isn't the strongest thing in the world. It is better suited for a thin kerf. Most thin kerfs are about 3/32.

You might play with the way you tighten the arbor nut and make sure all the washers are really clean. I used to tighten my nut with a 'death grip'. Overtightening can cause some runout.
    Erik

Comment

• Knottscott
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2004
      • Rochester, NY.
      • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

I'd try a better blade. For as little as $30 you can get something like the Freud Diablo D1040 from HD that should be an upgrade. For $40 you can get a Diablo D1050, or a CMT P10050 (Lowes), and for $50 you can get a Ridgid Titanium R1050 (by Freud). Save the stock blade for less critical things.
      Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• LCHIEN
        Internet Fact Checker
        • Dec 2002
        • Katy, TX, USA.
        • BT3000 vintage 1999

overtightening will warp a blade.
        surprisingly it doesn't take much force to make it tight enough, Usually thumb snug then just a bit more with the wrench.
        Loring in Katy, TX USA
        If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
        BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Kevin2010
          Forum Newbie
          • May 2010

Thanks. For the first time I tightened a little over the original setting. But afterward, I made a little less.

So for a 3/32 blade, should I expect a cut just that wide?
          or a little wider is ok also? Usually by how much by your measurements? 0.001" ?

Comment

• Cochese
            Veteran Member
            • Jun 2010

I thought the stock blade made a surprisingly clean cut. At least on white birch ply.
            I have a little blog about my shop

Comment

• LCHIEN
              Internet Fact Checker
              • Dec 2002
              • Katy, TX, USA.
              • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by Kevin2010
              Thanks. For the first time I tightened a little over the original setting. But afterward, I made a little less.

So for a 3/32 blade, should I expect a cut just that wide?
              or a little wider is ok also? Usually by how much by your measurements? 0.001" ?
              it should be close.
              But .001 over 3/32? maybe not.
              Consider that requires the blade to be flat to .001 and .000 tolerance on the width of the carbide tips. And then the rip fence has to be perfectly parallel to the blade. If the rip fence is .1 degrees out of parallelism with the blade, then you'll have about .010" added kerf from the blade going a bit sideways thru the wood. And no arbor runout.

I have never felt the need to measure the kerf of my saw/saw blade.
              Offhand I'd guess it was probably not more than about .016 (about a 1/64th) over the blade kerf... And those who know me here know i measure a lot of stuff.
              If it cuts fine I don't worry about it.

Are you being obsessive about blade kerf or do you have a problem?
              Last edited by LCHIEN; 06-16-2010, 05:39 PM.
              Loring in Katy, TX USA
              If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
              BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• SARGE..g-47

Ditto what Loring says.. don't over-think it. I am in the shop daily and have only mic'ed a kerf when building a custom splitter. You can't blow a nat through a .010 hole with plastic explosives tied to his arse.. much less a .001 gap. haha..

Good luck..

Comment

• Kevin2010
                  Forum Newbie
                  • May 2010

I guess I am a little bit obsessive.
                  The cut surface is very smooth actually.

This is my first table saw so I don't know what is considered to be OK, what is not.

Thanks for the patients.

Comment

Working...