• Show
Clear All
  • atgcpaul
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2003
    • Maryland
    • Grizzly 1023SLX

Leveling router plate insert

I have a rectangular phenolic router table insert with screw levelers at the
    corners. During operation, the screws vibrate loose and the insert isn't flush
    with the table anymore. Any homebrew suggestions? How about teflon tape? Otherwise, I guess I could buy and try some Loctite.

Thanks, Paul
  • cabinetman
    Gone but not Forgotten RIP
    • Jun 2006
    • So. Florida
    • Delta

Originally posted by atgcpaul
    I have a rectangular phenolic router table insert with screw levelers at the
    corners. During operation, the screws vibrate loose and the insert isn't flush
    with the table anymore. Any homebrew suggestions? How about teflon tape? Otherwise, I guess I could buy and try some Loctite.

Thanks, Paul

Teflon tape might work. Or, give masking tape a try.

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
      The Full Monte
      • May 2007
      • Sunshine State
      • BT3000

Loctite?

Comment

• Norm in Fujino
        • Dec 2002
        • Fujino-machi, Kanagawa-ken, Japan.
        • Ryobi BT-3000

Or fingernail polish.
        ==========
        ". . . and only the stump, or fishy part of him remained."
        Green Gables: A Contemplative Companion to Fujino Township

Comment

• Black wallnut
          cycling to health
          • Jan 2003
          • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
          • BT3k 1999

How about adding epoxy at each corner so that the plate is level with the table top without the need for leveling screws.
          Donate to my Tour de Cure

marK in WA and Ryobi Fanatic Association State President ©

Head servant of the forum

©

Comment

• dealweb
            Forum Newbie
            • Mar 2006

My Benchdog router plate came with Loctite for the leveling screws. When I get home tonight I'll let you know which specific product from Loctite that was given.

Comment

• dbhost
              Slow and steady
              • Apr 2008
              • League City, Texas
              • Ryobi BT3100

For some reason teflon tape sounds like a bad idea. Isn't teflon a dry lubricant?
              Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• LCHIEN
                Internet Fact Checker
                • Dec 2002
                • Katy, TX, USA.
                • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by dbhost
                For some reason teflon tape sounds like a bad idea. Isn't teflon a dry lubricant?
                actually its not an uncommon trick to use a few wraps of teflon tape on threaded rods to keep them from working loose. The teflon fills the gaps and i guess increases the friction by surface area and also keeps any play from causing the threads to walk out. the best example of this is using teflon tape in the three spokes of the elevation handle extensions on a drill press, because they are subject to side load they tend to work loose. I've done this on all three of the DPs I owed which had the same issue, and so apparently have others.

I think however, i've only used this trick on 5/16 or 3/8 threaded rods or bigger, not sure you can sucessfully use it on small set screws you'd find for levelling screws - the tape would be too thick for the space in smaller threads and hard to wrap on something that small.
                Loring in Katy, TX USA
                If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• atgcpaul
                  Veteran Member
                  • Aug 2003
                  • Maryland
                  • Grizzly 1023SLX

I needed an excuse to get out of the lab around lunch so I went to Lowes and
                  picked up a bottle a Loctite Red 271. It says it should only be used on metal
                  to metal. I'll test it on an obscure corner of the phenolic first to see if it will
                  melt it. It shouldn't because that's the same stuff lab benches are made.

Paul

Comment

• PhilofKayDu
                    Forum Newbie
                    • Aug 2009
                    • Northern Indiana
                    • BT3000

I read somewhere to use silicone caulking. Put some wax paper pieces down where the leveling screws will contact. Screw the leveling screws out a little bit. The phenolic plate should now be a little higher than the table. Now put 2 dabs of caulking on each screw. Put the plate into the opening. Don't forget the wax paper. Last of all [and hopfully you can access the screws from the top] turn the screws to level the plate to the table. This should pull a little of the caulking into yhe threads of the plate. Once the caulking dries; it will hold the srews in place but also stay pliable for repositioning in the future. Phil N.

Comment

• atgcpaul
                      Veteran Member
                      • Aug 2003
                      • Maryland
                      • Grizzly 1023SLX

Originally posted by atgcpaul
                      I needed an excuse to get out of the lab around lunch so I went to Lowes and
                      picked up a bottle a Loctite Red 271. It says it should only be used on metal
                      to metal. I'll test it on an obscure corner of the phenolic first to see if it will
                      melt it. It shouldn't because that's the same stuff lab benches are made.

Paul
                      I used my router table for the first time since I used Loctite on threads. They
                      didn't shake loose like before and the Loctite did not melt my router plate. FYI.

Paul

Comment

Working...