• Show
Clear All
  • 3thumbs
    Established Member
    • Oct 2008
    • Northern Colorado
    • Delta 10" contractor saw/cast wings

What do you do with your sawdust?

I can make a bushel of sawdust in a relative hurry with the planer. When I empty the DC I always think that someone would want this clean sawdust. It's a shame to send it to the landfill. What do you guys do with yours?
  • pelligrini
    Veteran Member
    • Apr 2007
    • Fort Worth, TX
    • Craftsman 21829

I give most of my planer chips to my wife for her compost and garden. I do end up having the same conversation about pressure treated wood every darn time though.

There's some more discussion in this thread: http://www.bt3central.com/showthread.php?t=39821
    Erik

Comment

• JR
      The Full Monte
      • Feb 2004
      • Eugene, OR
      • BT3000

We're encouraged to put ours in the green-waste recycling bin.

JR
      JR

Comment

• LarryG
        The Full Monte
        • May 2004
        • Off The Back
        • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

Sawdust disposal can be a real headache, fershure. For me it got so bad that five months ago I threw up my hands and packed up all my tools and put them in a mini-warehouse. Sawdust disposal problem solved.

Seriously, I was dumping mine on the brush pile, to be burned. When I get my new shop built and start making sawdust again, I'm going to look for a less wasteful and more environmentally-friendly solution.
        Larry

Comment

• crokett
          The Full Monte
          • Jan 2003
          • Mebane, NC, USA.
          • Ryobi BT3000

Once I start making sawdust again I will just dump it in the woods behind my house. What is wrong with just letting it rot? I was actually thinking about plumbing the DC so that the exhaust blew it all out the back of the shop into the woods.
          David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• cabinetman
            Gone but not Forgotten RIP
            • Jun 2006
            • So. Florida
            • Delta

I have stables that buy sawdust and wood chips. I have to bag it, but it's a financial return for a waste product. Some species are toxic to horses, such as Red Maple, Black Walnut, Chestnut, Cherry, and others, and have to be kept separate.

Comment

• dbhost
              Slow and steady
              • Apr 2008
              • League City, Texas
              • Ryobi BT3100

No real agricultural use for it around me, too many of my neighbors making their own...

Makes good campfire starters when loosely packed in small boxes and lit...

Seriously though, I generally burn mine off in the smoker as a means of getting the smoker started. But when it comes to the bag after bag after bag that the planer and lathe make.

Just as a reminder, I work mostly with Oak, and pine, so the excess stuff is thrown in the back of my truck along with waste brush and taken to a friends property where he composts in rather large scale... For him it's a waste product doing some good...For me it's 4 or 5 55 gallon contractor bags full of sawdust and shavings out of my shop...
              Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• dkerfoot
                Veteran Member
                • Mar 2004
                • Holland, Michigan
                • Craftsman 21829

According to LOML, I track it through the house...
                Doug Kerfoot
                "Sacrificial fence? Aren't they all?"

Smaller, Smarter Hardware Keyloggers
                "BT310" coupon code = 10% for forum members
                KeyLlama.com

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
                  The Full Monte
                  • May 2007
                  • Sunshine State
                  • BT3000

I save my cedar, camphor and sandalwood shavings for their aromatic qualities. My neighbor's wife makes sachets and potpourri from it. Nice. Some types that are an irritant to my allergies are tightly bagged and put on the green waste truck. The rest I usually put in the neighborhood composter.

Comment

• rnelson0
                    Established Member
                    • Feb 2008
                    • Midlothian, VA (Richmond)
                    • Firestorm FS2500TS

Compost heap here. Definitely does not go in the landfill as a general practice, though some makes it in through the dustpan or falling in the trash can. I throw the grass clippings in the compost heap as well, it all pushes down pretty quickly.

Comment

• Ed62
                      The Full Monte
                      • Oct 2006
                      • NW Indiana
                      • BT3K

It usually goes in the compost pile. This time of year, it's mostly green stuff going in, so that helps with composting.

Ed
                      Do you know about kickback? Ray has a good writeup here... https://www.sawdustzone.org/articles...mare-explained

For a kickback demonstration video http://www.metacafe.com/watch/910584...demonstration/

Comment

• LCHIEN
                        Internet Fact Checker
                        • Dec 2002
                        • Katy, TX, USA.
                        • BT3000 vintage 1999

my BIL was very excited to take mine for the compost heap he has going. I told him it had a lot of cedar and other weird woods and he was fine with that.

When I was working with Boy scouts but before I was really active in WW, the scoutmaster was enamoured of taking sawdust in 5 gal buckets, soaking it with diesel fuel and using it for campfire starter.
                        Loring in Katy, TX USA
                        If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                        BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Richard in Smithville
                          Veteran Member
                          • Oct 2006
                          • On the TARDIS
                          • BT 3100

I take some to my mothers place. She mixes some in her garden and the rest gets used by her boyfriend when he works on old cars to soak up fluids. I also make some fire startes from shavings covered with melted wax for camping.

When I was "touring" yesterday I saw a guy selling bags of shavings for $2.50/bag on the side of the road.
                          From the "deep south" part of Canada

Richard in Smithville

http://richardspensandthings.blogspot.com/

Comment

Working...