• Show
Clear All
  • chopnhack
    Veteran Member
    • Oct 2006
    • Florida
    • Ryobi BT3100

Do you have any bench plans?

Hi all, I find myself in need of a better workbench than my two sawhorses and a beat up piece of plywood with holes, spilt oil, etc... well you get the idea. I would like to review a whole bunch of plans and was wondering if anyone was willing to upload any. I wanted to peruse the various types to see what I am looking for. I basically need a sturdy bench with good work piece holding capability. Thanks in advance!
    I think in straight lines, but dream in curves
  • LinuxRandal
    Veteran Member
    • Feb 2005
    • Independence, MO, USA.
    • bt3100

For hand or power tools? I strongly recommend Christopher Schwarz book, Workbenches, from Design & Theory to Construction & Use, if doing hand tools.
    She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• chopnhack
      Veteran Member
      • Oct 2006
      • Florida
      • Ryobi BT3100

Combination of both power and hand tools, power to prepare raw stock, etc. hand tools to do some joint work, etc.

Comment

• dbhost
        Slow and steady
        • Apr 2008
        • League City, Texas
        • Ryobi BT3100

Getting Started In Woodworking videos from Fine Woodworking has a nice a good workbench. I think they have the plans online. I got mine from the magazine / DVD I got at Krogers a few months ago...

I have yet to actually build mine... But that is the style / plan I am planning on using. Currently I have a Simpson Strong Tie 2x4 and plywood bench, and sawhorses with a half sheet of plywood.
        Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• Mr__Bill
          Veteran Member
          • May 2007
          • Tacoma, WA
          • BT3000

I have been collecting plans for some time. If you PM me with an email address that can accept a 155 M I will send them to you.

Bill

Comment

• radhak
            Veteran Member
            • Apr 2006
            • Miramar, FL
            • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

For me, visuals work best. Looking at pictures makes a decision easier.

Check out benches here : http://www.plansnow.com/workbenchplans.html

Or, there are 50 project plans here, http://www.bt3central.com/showthread.php?t=39085, one of which is a workbench, a pretty interesting one.
            It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
            - Aristotle

Comment

• BigguyZ
              Veteran Member
              • Jul 2006
              • Minneapolis, MN
              • Craftsman, older type w/ cast iron top

I built the Family Handyman workbench. I know a few other people here have built it as well. I think it's a great all-around bench.

Here's a thread about my build here, there's some pics, as well as a link to another user's build of the same bench.
              http://www.bt3central.com/showthread...yman+workbench

Comment

• Sam Conder
                Woodworker Once More
                • Dec 2002
                • Midway, KY
                • Delta 36-725T2

Last week's episode of the Woodsmith Shop on PBS featured a pretty good looking imple workbench. A PDF of the plans is available here for free, as long as you give them your e-mail address:

http://www.woodsmithshop.com/episode...on2/downloads/
                Sam Conder
                BT3Central's First Member

"I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work." -Thomas A. Edison

Comment

• LarryG
                  The Full Monte
                  • May 2004
                  • Off The Back
                  • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

Originally posted by linuxrandal
                  for hand or power tools? I strongly recommend christopher schwarz book, workbenches, from design & theory to construction & use, if doing hand tools.
                  +42,973,622 -- and his benches work equally well for power tools, too.

Absent a copy of the book, you can learn a lot by reviewing the Workbenches section of Chris's blog. At least one of the benches, maybe more, is available for download as a SketchUp model and possibly in PDF form too.
                  Last edited by LarryG; 05-29-2009, 06:55 AM.
                  Larry

Comment

• poolhound
                    Veteran Member
                    • Mar 2006
                    • Phoenix, AZ
                    • BT3100

I guess it also depends on how far you want to go and how much you want to spend. There is a lot of room to step into from your saw horse and ply approach.

Do you want to bite the bullet and build a high end bench with solid wood top and all the fancy vises or were you thinking simple functional work surface? I recall this bench made from plywood laminations,

If you have access to FWW online you can see the atricle and construction here.
                    http://www.taunton.com/finewoodworki.../011181054.pdf

you can get the plans here for $19.95
                    http://store.taunton.com/onlinestore...an-011208.html
                    Jon

Phoenix AZ - It's a dry heat

We all make mistakes and I should know I've made enough of them
                    techzibits.com

Comment

• chopnhack
                      Veteran Member
                      • Oct 2006
                      • Florida
                      • Ryobi BT3100

I was looking to move up from my jalopy as I have had a serious interest in woodwork for a long time now. Since this is not a passing fancy for me, I think its time to invest in some quality and well thought out workbench. Yes, I will primarily use power tools, however I would like the workbench to be more for hand tool, joinery use as well as assembly and possibly if it works out ok, outfeed if needed. Solid lumber top is a definite and it will probably be out of construction lumber or lvl, whatever I can find at a reasonable price or salvage. Major thanks to Mr. Bill, I have lots of reading to do. Thanks all so far for the input. Keep your ideas coming if you have more, this is purely a brainstorm for me. I want to spend the most time now and not have the regret of ... oh, gee I wish I had done that when I built this bench moment later. Thanks!!

Comment

• pelligrini
                        Veteran Member
                        • Apr 2007
                        • Fort Worth, TX
                        • Craftsman 21829

The regrets and redesigns will always be there, it's best to limit them as much as you can. I changed my design some while I was building mine. I'm sure there will be even more wants and changes after I start working with it. Quite a bit of the my bench came from Schwarz's book (it is a good one), the rest of the ideas from a myriad of magazines & book articles, posts here & internet searches. Google turned up a bunch of good info.
                        Erik

Comment

Working...