• Show
Clear All
  • chopnhack
    Veteran Member
    • Oct 2006
    • Florida
    • Ryobi BT3100

Do you have any bench plans?

Hi all, I find myself in need of a better workbench than my two sawhorses and a beat up piece of plywood with holes, spilt oil, etc... well you get the idea. I would like to review a whole bunch of plans and was wondering if anyone was willing to upload any. I wanted to peruse the various types to see what I am looking for. I basically need a sturdy bench with good work piece holding capability. Thanks in advance!
    I think in straight lines, but dream in curves
  • LinuxRandal
    Veteran Member
    • Feb 2005
    • Independence, MO, USA.
    • bt3100

For hand or power tools? I strongly recommend Christopher Schwarz book, Workbenches, from Design & Theory to Construction & Use, if doing hand tools.
    She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• chopnhack
      Veteran Member
      • Oct 2006
      • Florida
      • Ryobi BT3100

Combination of both power and hand tools, power to prepare raw stock, etc. hand tools to do some joint work, etc.

Comment

• dbhost
        Slow and steady
        • Apr 2008
        • League City, Texas
        • Ryobi BT3100

Getting Started In Woodworking videos from Fine Woodworking has a nice a good workbench. I think they have the plans online. I got mine from the magazine / DVD I got at Krogers a few months ago...

I have yet to actually build mine... But that is the style / plan I am planning on using. Currently I have a Simpson Strong Tie 2x4 and plywood bench, and sawhorses with a half sheet of plywood.
        Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• Mr__Bill
          Veteran Member
          • May 2007
          • Tacoma, WA
          • BT3000

I have been collecting plans for some time. If you PM me with an email address that can accept a 155 M I will send them to you.

Bill

Comment

• radhak
            Veteran Member
            • Apr 2006
            • Miramar, FL
            • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

For me, visuals work best. Looking at pictures makes a decision easier.

Check out benches here : http://www.plansnow.com/workbenchplans.html

Or, there are 50 project plans here, http://www.bt3central.com/showthread.php?t=39085, one of which is a workbench, a pretty interesting one.
            It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
            - Aristotle

Comment

• BigguyZ
              Veteran Member
              • Jul 2006
              • Minneapolis, MN
              • Craftsman, older type w/ cast iron top

I built the Family Handyman workbench. I know a few other people here have built it as well. I think it's a great all-around bench.

Here's a thread about my build here, there's some pics, as well as a link to another user's build of the same bench.
              This forum is devoted to discussions about shop setup, layout and design. Topics here include wiring, wood and tool storage, floorplans, dust collection, and basically all the infrastructural stuff not directly related to specific projects and tools. Pictures of members' shops are welcome and encouraged.

Comment

• Sam Conder
                Woodworker Once More
                • Dec 2002
                • Midway, KY
                • Delta 36-725T2

Last week's episode of the Woodsmith Shop on PBS featured a pretty good looking imple workbench. A PDF of the plans is available here for free, as long as you give them your e-mail address:

Sam Conder
                BT3Central's First Member

"I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work." -Thomas A. Edison

Comment

• LarryG
                  The Full Monte
                  • May 2004
                  • Off The Back
                  • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

Originally posted by linuxrandal
                  for hand or power tools? I strongly recommend christopher schwarz book, workbenches, from design & theory to construction & use, if doing hand tools.
                  +42,973,622 -- and his benches work equally well for power tools, too.

Absent a copy of the book, you can learn a lot by reviewing the Workbenches section of Chris's blog. At least one of the benches, maybe more, is available for download as a SketchUp model and possibly in PDF form too.
                  Last edited by LarryG; 05-29-2009, 06:55 AM.
                  Larry

Comment

• poolhound
                    Veteran Member
                    • Mar 2006
                    • Phoenix, AZ
                    • BT3100

I guess it also depends on how far you want to go and how much you want to spend. There is a lot of room to step into from your saw horse and ply approach.

Do you want to bite the bullet and build a high end bench with solid wood top and all the fancy vises or were you thinking simple functional work surface? I recall this bench made from plywood laminations,

If you have access to FWW online you can see the atricle and construction here.
                    Comprised of five divisions — Collectibles, Home Arts, Home Building, Marine, and Writer’s Digest — Active Interest Media (AIM) produces leading consumer and trade events, websites, magazines and films/TV shows.

you can get the plans here for $19.95
                    Jon

Phoenix AZ - It's a dry heat

We all make mistakes and I should know I've made enough of them
                    techzibits.com

Comment

• chopnhack
                      Veteran Member
                      • Oct 2006
                      • Florida
                      • Ryobi BT3100

I was looking to move up from my jalopy as I have had a serious interest in woodwork for a long time now. Since this is not a passing fancy for me, I think its time to invest in some quality and well thought out workbench. Yes, I will primarily use power tools, however I would like the workbench to be more for hand tool, joinery use as well as assembly and possibly if it works out ok, outfeed if needed. Solid lumber top is a definite and it will probably be out of construction lumber or lvl, whatever I can find at a reasonable price or salvage. Major thanks to Mr. Bill, I have lots of reading to do. Thanks all so far for the input. Keep your ideas coming if you have more, this is purely a brainstorm for me. I want to spend the most time now and not have the regret of ... oh, gee I wish I had done that when I built this bench moment later. Thanks!!

Comment

• pelligrini
                        Veteran Member
                        • Apr 2007
                        • Fort Worth, TX
                        • Craftsman 21829

The regrets and redesigns will always be there, it's best to limit them as much as you can. I changed my design some while I was building mine. I'm sure there will be even more wants and changes after I start working with it. Quite a bit of the my bench came from Schwarz's book (it is a good one), the rest of the ideas from a myriad of magazines & book articles, posts here & internet searches. Google turned up a bunch of good info.
                        Erik

Comment

Working...