• Show
Clear All
  • 180x
    Established Member
    • Dec 2006
    • North Augusta, SC
    • Craftsman 21829

Basic tools needed to get started

I have a coworker who is getting into woodworking. He asked me what are the five most basic tools needed to begin (he states that he has absolutely nothing). Before I give him an answer, I thought I would make an inquiry here. This would include both portable and bench tools. He states that he would like to eventually build things like built in book shelves and entertainment centers. He's budget is approximately $1500 (lucky man!).

Any suggestions?
    Dwayne
  • LarryG
    The Full Monte
    • May 2004
    • Off The Back
    • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

The first thing he needs is a saw. Projects like book shelves and entertainment centers usually involve sheet goods (they don't have to, but more often than not they do). If he wanted to build period reproduction furniture or small projects like jewelry boxes I'd advise him to get a band saw; but for large projects built of sheet goods, he needs a table saw. Say $600. (I'm thinking of the newly-revised Ridgid, but am not certain how much it costs.)

After that, a two-base router kit, and a decent selection of bits to get started. Allow $300.

Third, a compound miter saw. He'll likely be dealing with long pieces like face frames and edgings that are cumbersome to cut to length on a table saw. About $250.

Fourth, a random orbit sander. A good one costs only $75.

Fifth and last, clamps. He might not regard these as a "tool" per se, but you can't do much woodworking without them; and for large projects, he'll need good-quality clamps that won't deflect when tightened. At least $250.

That totals $1475, pretty much using up his budget, but it'll get him started. More than started, actually: one could do a heck of a lot of nice work with only those five tools. BTW, I've tried to spread his budget out over these five items so that everything is of comparable quality. It's possible to get any of the five for less -- a $99 router kit, for example -- but if he has a serious interest in the hobby he won't be happy in the long run.

Of course there's no end to the things that could be added to the list, and plenty of possible substitutions. For example, if he will be building anything that has curves, a jig saw or even a small band saw might be a better choice than the compound miter saw. Also, if he truly has absolutely nothing, he'll need to budget something for marking and measuring tools (a 12' or 16' steel tape, a good combination square, etc), maybe foregoing the ROS and doing all his sanding by hand. Note too that I've not given him any way to drill a hole, or even drive a nail. He could easily spend his entire $1500 budget on things a lot of us here would regard as incidentals!

It's interesting how this question is phrased. Most people would ask, "I want to get started in woodworking and I have $1500 to spend. What should I buy?" Asked that way, I'd give you a somewhat different answer. Still, if I were setting up a bare-bones woodworking shop from scratch, and was planning to start by spending $1500 on only five items, those are the five items I'd buy first, I think.
    Last edited by LarryG; 04-29-2009, 08:06 AM. Reason: clarity; additional thoughts
    Larry

Comment

• BerniePA
      Established Member
      • Nov 2007
      • San Tan Valley, AZ
      • Grizzly 0575

1. Table saw
      2. Router (and table set up?)
      3. Drill (cordless)
      4. Drill Press
      5. Thickness planer

These are pretty much in the order I would consider they need to be acquired with the exception the cordless drill could be first since it is sooooo handy and items 4 and 5 could be switched. Of course, then you need dust collection, accessories, etc which would blow the $1500 budget quite a few times. Like they told me about getting into turning -- buying the lathe is the cheap part!!!!
      Bernie

Owww -- That spinnin' thang hurt!!

Comment

• LCHIEN
        Internet Fact Checker
        • Dec 2002
        • Katy, TX, USA.
        • BT3000 vintage 1999

i'm going to assume that the guy already has a corded/cordless drill less than $100, and a shop vac under $100, that's something every homeowner needs, not just a fledgling woodworker.

The first five WW tools should be

table saw 10"
        drill press 10", 12" better
        compound miter saw 10"
        belt/disc sander 4"/6"
        Random orbital sander. 5"

Basic quality budget if you shop around for price:
        TS $300-600
        CMS $120-150
        DP $120-200
        BS/DS $120
        ROS $75

that should be well under $1500; I think that's right around $1000
        (and STAY AWAY FROM THOSE COMBO BATTERY-OPERATED MULTI-TOOL Sets!)

Next tier of woodwrking stuff will be
        Band saw and this is a toughie because you can spend a lot or a little/ the big cost decision is if you want to be able to resaw bigger stuff, or just cut notches and curves on smaller items.
        Jointer/Planer to be able to put a really good face on wood
        Thickness planer to really make uniformly thick boards.
        and those three could easily run another $1000 or more. allowing you to use non dimensional and or rough-cut wood.

P.S. after reading the other posts I realized i forgot a router... a nice dual base unit can be had for around $120 and would make 6 tools needed up front. And of course he's going to have to spring for some basic clamps, a 7-pc brad point drill set, a set of measureing and marking tools, don't have to go overboard, maybe a $50 set of beginning router bit assortment.
        Somewhere before the second tier an inexpensive Air compressor and brad nailer will make life nicer.
        Last edited by LCHIEN; 04-29-2009, 11:21 AM.
        Loring in Katy, TX USA
        If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
        BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• dbhost
          Slow and steady
          • Apr 2008
          • League City, Texas
          • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by 180x
          I have a coworker who is getting into woodworking. He asked me what are the five most basic tools needed to begin (he states that he has absolutely nothing). Before I give him an answer, I thought I would make an inquiry here. This would include both portable and bench tools. He states that he would like to eventually build things like built in book shelves and entertainment centers. He's budget is approximately $1500 (lucky man!).

Any suggestions?
          From an absolute basics standpoint.

#1. Decent, if not great circular saw. You can get long, straight accurate cuts from a circ saw with a cutting guide. Decent models start at just over $50.00 or so. I would NOT buy a circ saw used. Contractors abuse the snot out of these things, and used examples are rarely in decent shape.

#2. Handheld power drill and bits. Preferrably one with a clutch. A LOT of guys go cordless here. I hate cordless tools, but can see why folks use them. Whatever... Of course with the bits, the more sizes the better. And I can honestly say I am not sure how I got ANY large hole boring done prior to owning a forstner bit set... Hole saws are another great item. I am not too crazy about my spade bits. They are good for boring large inaccurate holes in tree stumps to pour stump killer in...

#3. Jig Saw. DO NOT GO CHEAPO HERE! I have an inexpensive little Skil jigsaw that I HATE... I honestly really like the Bosch orbital job. Those are NICE...

#4. Router, and router bits. No need to go Triton here, but don't go B&D either. I have 2 Hitachi KM12VCs and love them. Make sure to get at LEAST 2-1/4 HP, 1/4" and 1/2" shank capacity, and fixed / plunge bases. Some guys go with individual bits to do their tasks, some buy sets. I have the MLCS 66 piece set, which has more than paid for itself. I haven't used all of the bits, but the bits I use often justify the cost of the entire set, AND I get a reasonably decent wall hangable case that keeps me from having to either build my own bit cabinet, or hunt for router bits until I am purple in the face... Just make sure he gets straight cutting bits in the undersize plywood sizes for cutting dadoes and grooves. Also a multi bearing rabbeting bit is a good investment.

#5. This should have been #1, but SAFETY EQUIPMENT. Safety glasses, face shield, dust masks, neoprene gloves, hearing protection.

#6. A decent shop vac / HEPA filter rig. He will very QUICKLY discover he will need a separator of some sort. I HIGHLY recommend he build a Thien cyclone separator...

#7. Chisels, hammers, hand saws, etc..

A bunch of other stuff that just slips my mind right now... Will get back to this when my head clears up some.
          Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• catta12
            Established Member
            • Jan 2008
            • Reno, NV
            • BTS20R

If I had an empty garage here is what I would buy:

Table saw: The most basic piece of woodworking
            Plunge Router that fits a router table: You can make a lot of thing look nice with a router
            Compound Miter Saw: Long stock is difficult to cut on the table saw with good results
            Cordless Drill: Screw it, drill it. The Ryobi 18v is a good value IMO.
            Sander: Black and Decker makes one that the plate is interchangeable to orbital or finish sander

Clamps can be added as needed according to the project. A basic pocket screw jig can also be helpful.

If there is budget left over, I would add a drill press.
            If you can read this you assembled wrong.

Alan

Comment

• LarryG
              The Full Monte
              • May 2004
              • Off The Back
              • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

I had to do some digging to find an article that noted woodworking author Gary Rogowski wrote for Fine Woodworking Magazine a few years back, entitled "My Five Essential Power Tools." They are, in order:

1. Band saw (more on this in a minute).
              2. Jointer
              3. Router
              4. Compound miter saw
              5. Drill press

Note that Rogowski was not trying to spend any specific sum of money, like the $1500 budgeted in this case; he was merely listing the five tools he considered most important and the order in which he'd buy them.

Regarding the band saw at the head of the list ... Rogowski writes, "There isn't one woodworker out of 10 or one machine manufacturer out of 100 who would agree with me, but I think your first machine should be a bandsaw." He goes on to describe how versatile a band saw is and states that his is the most important tool in his shop: "I can do more work of a greater variety with the bandsaw than with any other two machines combined."

As it happens, I'm that one woodworker out of 10 who agrees with him ... if I could have only one stationary saw in my shop, I'd sell my cabinet saw and keep my band saw (actually, it being a 14" model, I'd sell it, too, and buy a bigger band saw). However, Rogowski also includes the same caveat that I did in my earlier post, saying that if you're going to be working with a lot of plywood, you need a table saw instead.

Offered FWIW.
              Larry

Comment

• eezlock
                • Feb 2006
                • Charlotte,N.C.
                • BT3100

basic tools?

Some of the most obvious and often overlooked items aren't mentioned here
                either....good quality tape measures, combination squares, and other layout tools. These are essential if any project is going to start out right and finish
                that way ! If these tools are of poor quality and not reliable, the whole project will be nothing but a headache! Money spent now on good layout
                tools will last a lifetime and probably never have to be replaced down the road. Remember "good things are not cheap, cheap things are not good".

Comment

• pelligrini
                  Veteran Member
                  • Apr 2007
                  • Fort Worth, TX
                  • Craftsman 21829

You didn't mention the workspace this is going into. I'd assume it would be the garage. Most of this will fit into a fairly tight space.

Table Saw - I would reccomend the Craftsman 21829 (BTclone). It can fold up out of the way and it has a basic router table. Ought to get a Shark Guard for it. (just because they're way to cool not to have). A set of half rails for the saw. The dust collection bag comes in handy if there isn't anything to suck it up.

Decent Router preferably dual base. A decent starter set of bits from MCLS or similar.

Circular saw - I'd get this before a CMS. It can be used to rough crosscut long stock for final sizing on the tablesaw, also good for sheetgoods

ROS - probably a decent 5"

A pair of Rigid flip tops.

Some clamps, a couple pair of 24"s to start and a pair of 36"s at least. I really like having little 6" quick grips. Need at least 4.

A decent cordless drill with at least one spare battery pack. A decent set of brad points, and an assortment set of drivers.

A little block plane and a set of scrapers. (just to get started off on the right foot)

A subscription to Wood magazine and maybe another like Shopnotes.

If there's enough scratch left over, a thickness planer. (I'd want that before a drill press)
                  Erik

Comment

• LinuxRandal
                    Veteran Member
                    • Feb 2005
                    • Independence, MO, USA.
                    • bt3100

I would say go to the library, and look at the types of projects he wants to build. Sheet goods, yes, I would go with a guided circular saw system over a table saw. But a lot of people get by just fine with a used tablesaw (garage sale) and sawboards, starting out.

But neither will do him any good, if he wants to get more into turning type stuff, or some work where a bandsaw will do him more good (curved work).

I've got a friend who doesn't have a shop. He has done more fine woodworking, with a circular saw (and one of those old mount me upside down tables), router, and T bevel, then a lot of people, with whole shops.
                    For recommendations
                    What does he have for tools? (makes a difference)

I agree with circular saw (and some guide setup), and/or bandsaw. Router is a yes, but I also think he should be looking at/into hand tools, and sharpening equipment. They can be had for less, and look how much was built with them. Power tools just increase speed, they don't neccasarily increase skills/accuracy.
                    Last edited by LinuxRandal; 04-29-2009, 10:47 AM. Reason: Incomplete thought
                    She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• radhak
                      Veteran Member
                      • Apr 2006
                      • Miramar, FL
                      • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

I assume your friend is new to woodworking. Around slightly more than 3 years ago I was in the same position as your friend. I did not know of this site, and nobody would tell me definitively what to buy/get. I did some research by reading up, could have done better with forums like this. I'd have killed for posts like those above (and surely, below to come).

All other posts above have done a good job giving you the what. I think your friend could do himself a lot of good by joining a forum; and what's better than this one ! Lots to learn.

Next, if there's any community class / evening school on woodworking around you, it's worth much more than it's small fee : hands-on experience, and friendships with teachers and practitioners of the field. Even Woodcraft has some of these - highly recommended.

Equally important is, where to buy - unless it's a special serious sale, HD/Lowes are not the best places to buy big things. Amazon has worked better for me! But nothing to beat CraigsList, of course. Obviously he'd need the help of somebody experienced; but if he can manage that, his $1500 would stretch to a lot, lot more. Sometimes, Ebay is not too bad. Then there's Harbor Freight, and HomeDepot and Lowes.

To sum it - woodworking is more than the tools; a get-familiar time of 3 months, or even 1 month, would do wonders for him.

Hope that helps.
                      Last edited by radhak; 04-29-2009, 11:04 AM.
                      It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
                      - Aristotle

Comment

• poolhound
                        Veteran Member
                        • Mar 2006
                        • Phoenix, AZ
                        • BT3100

Oh my gosh - $1500 to spend on tools. One one hand, what a treat on the other how do you possibly choose as that money will dissapear in a heart beat. As others have pointed out its often all the small things that will eat away at your cash. I can think of numerous visits o rockler HD etc where I have walked out $100 light and am only carrying a small plastic bag!!

However on the tool front my top list would be.

1. TS
                        2. Router
                        3. Good drill driver kit
                        4. Sanders - definatley ROS, posibly belt also
                        5. Good Jigsaw
                        6. A bunch of all the small stuff - quality measuring tools, bits, Shop vac, drills, saw horse, outfeed rollers etc etc etc......

I would have put a CMS on there but with the combination of the TS & JS you can do most things.
                        Jon

Phoenix AZ - It's a dry heat

We all make mistakes and I should know I've made enough of them
                        techzibits.com

Comment

• Sawatzky
                          Established Member
                          • Apr 2005
                          • CA
                          • Ridgid TS3650

An air compressor and a brand nailer are at the top of my list. This tool is used all the time for assembly in my shop. A brand nailer that can shoot up to 2" nails will cover a lot of needs.

Comment

• BobSch
                            • Aug 2004
                            • Minneapolis, MN, USA.
                            • BT3100

One little thing is an ACCURATE square, especially if he's going to go the circular saw/saw guide route. There's little more frustrating than trying to build something the size of a bookcase when you can't get things square.
                            Bob

Bad decisions make good stories.

Comment

• rnelson0
                              Established Member
                              • Feb 2008
                              • Midlothian, VA (Richmond)
                              • Firestorm FS2500TS

If I were to start over, I would buy things in a slightly different order. Keep in mind that some of these prices are on used goods - you are going to be hard pressed to get an unused-but-old saw for $125, but if you wait you CAN find those deals on Craigslist.

* Circular saw. You need this, and not much else, to build a pair of sawhorses. You can then use the sawhorses and the circ to cut sheet goods, which means you are halfway to a workbench.

* Corded drill. Yeah, portable rocks. But there are times when you want a good drill with lots of power to do 50 or 60 actions with the same bit and the corded drill delivers. Now you can assemble the workbench, hang some pegboard, and put the drill away for a bit.

* Lighting. Not a power tool, really, but if I had added these earlier, a lot of my first jobs would have come out more precise or I could have finished them earlier since I would not be relying on daylight.

* Sanders. You can do a lot by hand, but a 1/4 sheet sander and random orbital sander give you your light and medium duty sanders. Belt senders give you your heavy duty sanding, but honestly I rarely use mine. If you are fortunately, you can find a package deal for <$100. Now you can create finished goods.

* Measuring tools. I mean good ones. You can go through 25' measuring tapes that cost $5 like candy, but that $30 12" rule always seems expensive. I have learned that I should have bought it first. There are lots of good precision tools out there - rules, guides, marking gauges, etc. Buy a few to get started and do not forget to add a few inbetween huge power tool purchases.

That is five items and you could make a lot of things that way, but you obviously want to go further. With luck on craiglist/ebay/whatever, your friend should only have spent about $400 by now, including materials for the sawhorses and workbench, and maybe a thick sheet of ply/mdf to lay over the sawhorses as needed. Here are some other things and the order I would buy them, assuming that your friend is eventually looking at making furniture - if not, let us know what he wants to do.

* Vise
                              * Table saw
                              * Safety tools (pushsticks, featherboards, etc.)
                              * Hand plane
                              * Miter saw
                              * Precision/Measurement tools (maybe a more accurate miter gauge, laser sights for an existing tool, etc.)
                              * Biscuit Joiner
                              * Router
                              * Router bits
                              * Planer
                              * Jointer

I have everything but the planer and jointer and I think you can make some pretty good furniture that way. Add in a few random tools appropriate to the tasks at hand - various hand saws, jigs, whatever - and most people should be well on their way. Do not rush to buy everything on the list, though. It will take you a loooooong time to get proficient at some tools and it will prevent you from taking advantage of the rest. If you cannot make precise cuts on your table saw, for instance, chances are that the planer will not help a whole lot. Same thing with the router and biscuit joiner, you need properly shaped wood before you can use them. The first five - circ saw, drill, lighting, sanders, and measuring tools - will certainly be invaluable regardless of what the goals are, for woodworking and general home maintenance and improvement.

What is your friend's goal with woodworking? Does he want to make birdhouses or bedroom sets? A new deck or new bookcase? Frame a wall or redo the trim? Different goals require different tools and a framing nailer is going to come in a LOT handier than a hand plane for framing a wall.

If your friend is looking at creating some "fine goods", I would make sure he finds a set of sanders he likes. For every 30 minutes at the table saw, you will probably spend another hour sanding. It is worth finding one that fits your hand properly and does not hurt after 5 minutes of use.

Comment

Working...